View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Oddest plays of the year

I realize mine are probably pretty mild compared to others out there, but I have had three incidents this year that were unique to my officiating experience. This is my fifth year.

Twice this year, I've had a ball come to a complete rest on the flat, flange of the rim. The first was in a boys' varsity game. It occurred on a partially blocked shot. It slowly rolled back-and-forth across the flange before coming to a complete rest. Once it stopped, we blew it dead and went to the possession arrow. It seemed like it took forever for the ball to come to a complete rest although it was only a few seconds. A player for the team that was trailing by a few points at the time (final minute of the game) asked if we could put 17 seconds back on the clock. Of course we didn't.

The other ball resting on the flange incident occurred on the first of a two-shot FT attempt in a varsity girls' game. We simply got the ball back down and shot the second FT.

The third odd incident for me was when I blew a play dead for a violation. It was a varsity girls game. A girl making an effort to break up a pass used her fist to punch the ball away. I've seen this rule over the years, but had never seen it in a game until last week. Many of my colleagues that have called for dozens of years say they have never seen it happen in a game.

What odd/unusual plays have been out there this year?