The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

No clear look on fast break...

I'm looking for advice on the following situation at different levels of play (MS, Sub V and V):

For 2 person, I am trail and team B steals the ball and heads the other way on a fast break. A1 defends B1 going to the rack. I am not to the end line and am preparing to find an angle to see the play and officiate any contact, but A1 is between me and B1. I may be straight-lined or not, but in any event, I don't get a clear look and B1 goes up awkwardly or in general looks like he's fouled. I don't see obvious contact, but can't be sure either way.

How best to call this play? I know that it's not appropriate to call what you don't see, but I also recognize that there are game management situations that may call for something. At the lower levels, I'm OK with managing this. At the big boy level, calling or not calling will lead to lots of discussion with the Head Coach.

Whaddya got and how do you discuss it with the coaches?

In 3 person, I am hoping that the C comes in to help me, but the same question can be asked there too.

Thanks for the sage advice...

Z
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

The higher you go, the more important it is to call only what you see. That's an argument for getting in position, since if you have too many of these that's a good reason to think you've reached the highest level you're capable of officiating. "Game management" is no excuse for being out of position.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

I was watching a college game this weekend and a similar situation to yours happened. In this instance, where he was beat, you can see that the new lead slowed up, got slightly behind the play and was able to get the best possible angle.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 09:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

When this happens, and it happens to everyone at all levels, get to the spot where you have the best chance of seeing through the players, whereever that spot is. There are still going to be times you get straighlined, but searching for angles will help. And if you don't see it, don't call it.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I agree with everyone else. If you don't see it, don't call it. How would you defend a guess to a coach? If you get asked about the play, don't lie. "Coach, I had a player run in front of me right as the shot went up so I didin't get a good look. I'll work hard to make sure it doesn't happen again." If the coach doesn't get that, then an opportunity to blow your whistle may present itself.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Priceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
I agree with everyone else. If you don't see it, don't call it. How would you defend a guess to a coach? If you get asked about the play, don't lie. "Coach, I had a player run in front of me right as the shot went up so I didin't get a good look. I'll work hard to make sure it doesn't happen again." If the coach doesn't get that, then an opportunity to blow your whistle may present itself.
Love your last line!
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

I agree that all you can do is work to get the best angle and only call what you see. The other option may be if the new trail is hustling after the play he may be able to get an angle from the opposite side and help you out. I try and make an effort to hustle on all plays, even if I may not be able to get there in time to make a call. Showing you work hard and hustle lends to your credibility on the floor.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 11:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

In 2-person, the toughest decision (IMO) is the fast break where the contact occurs from the trail's side. As the L, you either have to get there early and get position or curl in from behind and do the best you can.

As the T, you have to bust up and help out the best you can. I've made a lot of calls in transition as the trail when the contact is from my side.

The worst thing you can do as the lead is guess. The benches may have a better view than you -- it's easier to sell a no-call than to sell a phantom foul that clearly didn't happen.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
In 2-person, the toughest decision (IMO) is the fast break where the contact occurs from the trail's side.

This is exactly the situation I'm talking about. The general consensus seems to be don't call it if you don't see it, and I'm good with that. I'd like to be in better position, but despite best efforts, it doesn't always happen and I do wind up slowing down to get a better look... I find that works very well, although it may not look so good to the coaches and mommies and daddies. If that's all, I'm not too concerned about those viewpoints.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 12:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk View Post
This is exactly the situation I'm talking about. The general consensus seems to be don't call it if you don't see it, and I'm good with that. I'd like to be in better position, but despite best efforts, it doesn't always happen and I do wind up slowing down to get a better look... I find that works very well, although it may not look so good to the coaches and mommies and daddies. If that's all, I'm not too concerned about those viewpoints.
If you can't get to the baseline and pinch the paint to get a view of the contact, you should let the players pass you and hook around to call it from behind. This is, IMO, a situation where the attitude of "I can't get beat to the baseline" hurts officiating. I'd rather get beat and get a better view than get straightlined.

In 3-person, this is much easier. I'm not even trying to get backside contact -- that's the C's call all the way. With 2-person, the T may not be close enough to get a good view. I try my best to get there and help, but coming from the baseline, I may only get to the division line and it's hard to make a call from there on the dead run.

Like I always say: 2-person sucks.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Trust your partner

In two man, slow down just a bit and hook in behind if the following players give you the room, but also TRUST YOUR PARTNER. For sure, pre-game it, but trust your trail to be hustling in behind at the off angle, working to be sure he can see contact you are screened from. If you don't have it and your partner sees it, he will delay just long enough to avoid doubling you, and then put air in that black thingy between his lips. Yes, it's not three man, but your not alone out there either.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 12:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Also, even in two whistle, don't be afraid to cross over to ball side on this if you have time in transition (as lead).
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 12:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabnut View Post
In two man, slow down just a bit and hook in behind if the following players give you the room, but also TRUST YOUR PARTNER. For sure, pre-game it, but trust your trail to be hustling in behind at the off angle, working to be sure he can see contact you are screened from. If you don't have it and your partner sees it, he will delay just long enough to avoid doubling you, and then put air in that black thingy between his lips. Yes, it's not three man, but your not alone out there either.
Agreed. But in transition (especially after a quick steal up top), it's hard for the T to get any reasonable distance -- and he may have to work around players who are lagging behind as well.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 06:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Second Best Call Is A Really Strong Wrong Call ...

I've been told by veteran officials, "If there's a train wreck, call something".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 07:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I've been told by veteran officials, "If there's a train wreck, call something".
And I hate this, because sometimes the train wreck looks bad but there's nothing to call. Sometimes kids trip over their teammates.