The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

This is for a 3-man crew situation:

A1 shoots and misses and B1 rebounds and quickly takes it the other way.

I was told by a D-1 college official that the C has the responsibility to call everything from foul line extended on one end to foul line extended on the other end during a fast break, quick outlet, or pressing action.

A high school official told me in this case that it was the lead because he was in front of the play.

To me it makes more since for the C to take it because he supposed to run with the ball.

Who is right? Or are both right according to their respective levels?
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

The center.

The lead is transitioning to the other end. Making a call while looking over your shoulder shouldn't be done unless it's absolutely necessary. He should hustle to the baseline, while keeping an eye on what's going on behind him.

The center is moving with the ball from FT line to FT line.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

I was taught that C, in transition, had top of key to top of key, all the way across the court, which means you may have to step on the court to sell a call on the far sideline.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

The C has it all the way at both levels.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 06:48am
Huck Finn

While the C does have the plays from sideline to sideline the C does not necessarily have the ball. It would probably be better to say the C has the pack in transition and from 3-point line to 3-point line during a press as long as the Trail has players he must watch further back in the backcourt.

I had a game on Sunday and my partner called a foul on a player around half-court on my side of the court. In this particular situation I had the ball as the trail since the press was broken and the other players were now moving up the court. From his angle he saw contact. From my angle, trailing the play, I saw that the defender and dribbler were going in straight lines up the court until the dribbler decided to move towards/slightly in front of the defender to initiate contact. Like previously discussed in another thread the defender did not do anything illegal. He didn't do anything except run up the court. If my partner would have noticed where the majority of the players were on this play he would have realized that I didn't have anyone else to look at so I had this play.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
While the C does have the plays from sideline to sideline the C does not necessarily have the ball. It would probably be better to say the C has the pack in transition and from 3-point line to 3-point line during a press as long as the Trail has players he must watch further back in the backcourt.
I didn't say that he has the ball. I said he is moving with the ball on a fast break.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE] From my angle, trailing the play, I saw that the defender and dribbler were going in straight lines up the court until the dribbler decided to move towards/slightly in front of the defender to initiate contact. Like previously discussed in another thread the defender did not do anything illegal. He didn't do anything except run up the court. QUOTE]

Tomegun, are you saying you wouldn't make the call because the dribbler initiated the contact or because the contact was not bad enough to call a foul based on the dribbler initiating the contact?
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

I think he's saying that the defender didn't foul.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
This is just toooo simple of an answer. Totally not fair.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 08:55am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
This is just toooo simple of an answer. Totally not fair.
I'll simplify it even more. The defender didn't do anything wrong.

The contact was called because the dribbler moved into/next to the defender's path. We will never know what the outcome of the contact would have been but it wouldn't be fair to call a foul on someone that didn't do anything. More than likely the dribbler would have had to live with the outcome of his actions. If I was to run all the scenarios (losing the ball, falling down, traveling, etc.) through my head I can't see where the defender would be at fault.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Told ya, Bart.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

OK, lets make it complicated. The defender does not have legal guarding position. I can see the dribbler initiating contact and we have a foul on the defender. I'm not refering to your play b/c I think you made it clear there was not a foul. I know you didn't say the following as a blanket statement, However, I don't think we can say anytime a dribbler initiates contact then we don't have a foul.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 02:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
OK, lets make it complicated. The defender does not have legal guarding position. I can see the dribbler initiating contact and we have a foul on the defender. I'm not refering to your play b/c I think you made it clear there was not a foul. I know you didn't say the following as a blanket statement, However, I don't think we can say anytime a dribbler initiates contact then we don't have a foul.
No, but I think that all Tom is saying is that in his particular situation the dribbler initiated the contact illegally, and he had a no-call on the play when his partner's whistle went--but if Tom had to call a foul, it woulda been on the dribbler. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it's a case where the dribbler and defender both established straight-line paths side-by-each, and then the dribbler veered out of his path either into or slightly in front of the defender. In cases like those, LGP basically doesn't mean everything. However, screening principles do apply to the dribbler. The dribbler has to give the defender room to stop- usually a maximum of 2 steps. FED casebook play 10.6.2SitB-COMMENT kinda lays out the principle. It's a HTBT type of play with regards as to whether you're gonna call a foul or not imo.

The other comment by Tom was legitimate too, I thought. He was trail and this play was in his primary. His partner at C reached across the floor to get the call. That one is a "wtf you doing,Willis" in the dressing room later.

Old Thu May 19, 2005, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

I totally agree Mr. Jurassic Referee.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
However, I don't think we can say anytime a dribbler initiates contact then we don't have a foul.
I don't think anybody did.