The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

T After the 4th Qtr Ends but Before OT Begins

4th qtr ends with the score tied. As teams are going to their bench Team A head coach says enough to earn a T.

Reading the exceptions for 5-6-2 #4 makes me wonder how to proceed.

It first says that if the T occurs after the ball has become dead to end the qtr or extra period that the next qtr or extra period will begin with the free throws.

It says this applies if there is to be an extra period.

Next it says if there is no way to determine whether there will be an extra period until the FTs are administered, the FTs are shot immediately.

So, the "if there is no way to determine whether there will be an extra period" line makes me think the FTs would be shot and if one of them is successful the game is over.

However, I have a vague memory and another ref agreed that the FTs are shot at the beginning of OT.

Am I misunderstanding 5-6-2 #4? Is it saying that the T FTs would be shot if one or both were needed to actually tie the game?
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 10:46pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
4th qtr ends with the score tied. As teams are going to their bench Team A head coach says enough to earn a T.

Reading the exceptions for 5-6-2 #4 makes me wonder how to proceed.

It first says that if the T occurs after the ball has become dead to end the qtr or extra period that the next qtr or extra period will begin with the free throws.

It says this applies if there is to be an extra period.

Next it says if there is no way to determine whether there will be an extra period until the FTs are administered, the FTs are shot immediately.

So, the "if there is no way to determine whether there will be an extra period" line makes me think the FTs would be shot and if one of them is successful the game is over.

However, I have a vague memory and another ref agreed that the FTs are shot at the beginning of OT.

Am I misunderstanding 5-6-2 #4? Is it saying that the T FTs would be shot if one or both were needed to actually tie the game?
OT begins with two free throws and the ball at the division line for a throw-in.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
OT begins with two free throws and the ball at the division line for a throw-in.
So 5-6-2 #4 only deals with Ts that might result in the game ending up tied which would then send it to OT ie 2 point margin and winning coach gets T'd?
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 10:54pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
So 5-6-2 #4 only deals with Ts that might result in the game ending up tied which would then send it to OT ie 2 point margin and winning coach gets T'd?
Yes... 5.6.2 Situation F.

Check out the 5.6 and 5.6.2 case plays.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

This was just brought up at our last meeting. I was confused by it but this thread made it easier to understand.

If team is down by 1 or 2 and a Technical foul is administer, they shoot the FTs to determine if they win, tie or lose.

If tied, you start the OT with FTs and the ball with the arrow to the other direction.

Did I get that right? This makes sense since when the game is tied, there is another "period" which would go with that rule "FTs are administered in the next Quarter or period". If the game is over and a T is given, there is no OT at that point and so you have to shoot it then. Just making sure I got it right.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes... 5.6.2 Situation F.

Check out the 5.6 and 5.6.2 case plays.
5.6.2 H deals with a shooter being fouled at the buzzer AND the coach of the opposing team getting T'd as a result of not liking the foul call. If the subsequent FTs including the T FTs give one team a lead the game is over.

Is my original scenario not enforced the same because there was not a personal foul involved which will result in FTs?
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 11:44pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
5.6.2 H deals with a shooter being fouled at the buzzer AND the coach of the opposing team getting T'd as a result of not liking the foul call. If the subsequent FTs including the T FTs give one team a lead the game is over.

Is my original scenario not enforced the same because there was not a personal foul involved which will result in FTs?
Yes, in your OP, the quarter had ended.

In the case you cited, the quarter had not ended.

5-6-2 Exception 3
The quarter or extra period ends when the free throw(s) and all related activity have been completed.

Therefore, since there was a foul resulting in free throws, the quarter hadn't ended. Thus, the technical foul free throws are still part of the 4th quarter.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, in your OP, the quarter had ended.

In the case you cited, the quarter had not ended.

5-6-2 Exception 3
The quarter or extra period ends when the free throw(s) and all related activity have been completed.

Therefore, since there was a foul resulting in free throws, the quarter hadn't ended. Thus, the technical foul free throws are still part of the 4th quarter.
Thanks. The T is under "all related activity," correct?

If so, lets say that A1 scores at the buzzer but the official says A1 traveled and waves off the basket. No time on the clock. As he's waving it off the HC from A comes charging onto the floor.

Is the subsequent T related activity ? Or does "related activity" only deal with fouls?
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 12:01am
M.A.S.H.

Check out 5.6 Comment B.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Check out 5.6 Comment B.
Thanks, TJones.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks. The T is under "all related activity," correct?

If so, lets say that A1 scores at the buzzer but the official says A1 traveled and waves off the basket. No time on the clock. As he's waving it off the HC from A comes charging onto the floor.

Is the subsequent T related activity ? Or does "related activity" only deal with fouls?
In the above situation, the T would come following the end of the quarter as the ball became dead following or at the expiration of time, unless the referee puts time back on the clock due to definite knowledge.

Take a good look at the rules on when a quarter ends, and you'll have this down.