The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 08:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up

I just wanted ask about people's experience with going table side so far. I have already been at one camp where I worked and attended another camp to just watch. I thought I would hate the table side for HS. I always liked it at the college level, because the coaches for the most part were more intelligent about their complaining as a whole. The camp I worked was with HS teams and HS coaches (not always the varsity coaches) and the I barely heard a whisper half the time. I think this was a great change in mechanics. Of course this was just a very small experience, but I see what is likely to happen. The coaches are not screaming and yelling across the court at you for making a call. The coaches tend to be more reserved and measured when you are standing next to them. In some cases they did not say anything at all.

I have to say I was wrong so far about what this might bring. Of course it is early, but it sure seems like there will not be that many problems with this mechanic. I was at a camp and watched an official get rid of both head coaches during a championship game. But that was AAU, that does not count.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

I like it better also, HS and college level.

"Constructive dialogue" at close quarters is much better than a shouting match across the floor.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 04:42am
Official Forum Member

I worked HS tableside at a camp last weekend and I like the switch. I think it facilitates better communication between the official and the bench and it allows the official to directly address the coach, rather than risking concerns to fester. I had some howlers at my camp and I really thought it was good to be able to address them discreetly, although some coaches are gonna have to learn quickly. I predict that overall the switch will be positive, but we'll see a spike in technicals early on because of beligerant coaches and poor communication by officials.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

I have worked NBA mechanics for years and this is a good change. However I personally think that calling official would be better off always being trail not table side.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
I have worked NBA mechanics for years and this is a good change. However I personally think that calling official would be better off always being trail not table side.
Because....
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Wink

I like going table side at buffets.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

I've worked at many camps and summer games and believe that table side will work great for communicating with coaches who coach and ask cordial questions. On the other hand, I belive there will be a large increase in the number of Ts for those other coaches.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReadyToRef
I've worked at many camps and summer games and believe that table side will work great for communicating with coaches who coach and ask cordial questions. On the other hand, I belive there will be a large increase in the number of Ts for those other coaches.
I think its a good idea, we shouldn't punish the coaches who behave and want to talk nicely to us just because of coaches who abuse it.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Because....
Maybe its a personal preference thing... I dont know I can jusustify it as more consistent but it just feels better when I have done both.... In current scenario You go trail on FT's and when it is on one side of floor, you go C when the ball is coming in from the other side.
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 05:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Thumbs up

Table Side Is Beautiful !!

Have any of you done the experimental two-had reporting mechanic for player numbers? It's not bad-- pretty cool, actually...
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bbgirl
??

I have not attended camp yet, so I am unfamiliar with the term "tableside." I think i know but would like a clarification.

Please explain.
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 02:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb The terms are also in the Mechanics Manuals.

Quote:
Originally posted by bbgirl
I have not attended camp yet, so I am unfamiliar with the term "tableside." I think i know but would like a clarification.

Please explain.

It means the side of the court that an official will go or stand depending on what they are doing.

I would suggest that you get into the Official's Manuals to get more familiar. This is just one term and you will need to understand all of them when you are at camps or talking about mechanics.

This is also about 3 Person Mechanics and might not be something you will use if you are not working a lot of varsity (unless you live in one of those states that have lower level 3 Person games).

Peace
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Two handed number reporting is NBA only right? You cant get away with that in college or high school correct? I use it during summer league and only because the numbers for AAU dont have any restrictions for how high they can go. Its even more interesting because unless I am doing girls basketball I dont use a lanyard. Why? Its just too hard to stay focused in most of the girls games I've called this summer to use a lanyard ... I did have one this saturday where I was able to do a quick switch at the first dead-ball. The game was intense. (a girls game at that too!) only had 1 jump ball. Score was like 56-54 on two 16 minute stopped clock halves. I was impressed.
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Two handed number reporting is NBA only right? You cant get away with that in college or high school correct? I use it during summer league and only because the numbers for AAU dont have any restrictions for how high they can go. Its even more interesting because unless I am doing girls basketball I dont use a lanyard. Why? Its just too hard to stay focused in most of the girls games I've called this summer to use a lanyard ... I did have one this saturday where I was able to do a quick switch at the first dead-ball. The game was intense. (a girls game at that too!) only had 1 jump ball. Score was like 56-54 on two 16 minute stopped clock halves. I was impressed.
The NBA guys that go without a lanyard do it to slow down, just how does that improve your focus on a "just a girls" game?

Oh, Juulie.
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bbgirl
Interesting, I have been coaching rec and parks for about 4 yrs, and after this year, I felt I would want to advance to another level. I stared studying the books and began applying the “official” rules in the summer games, but the other officials, became threatened, and started backing out. So now I'm going to get into a camp and move onto high school...