The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 09:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Timeout mechanic - do you ask or not?

Do you guys usually ask a coach if they want a full or a 30 if they haven't indicated one or the other? If so, how many times will you ask before you realize they're not responsive?

I was taught that the burden is on the coach, so I never ask. If they don't indicate it's a 30 before you get to the reporting position, then it's a 60 "by default". I'm trying all the time to get my guys in our local kids rec league to do this, otherwise it can take 10 seconds to get a coach to respond.

How does it work for you? And how do you treat it if the request is from a player on the floor?
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

I ask coach twice usually. Full or 30 coach? No response? Get a little closer to the huddle, "Do you want a full or 30 second time out coach?" No response I go with full time out.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Do you guys usually ask a coach if they want a full or a 30 if they haven't indicated one or the other?

Yes

If so, how many times will you ask before you realize they're not responsive?

2-3

I was taught that the burden is on the coach, so I never ask. If they don't indicate it's a 30 before you get to the reporting position, then it's a 60 "by default". I'm trying all the time to get my guys in our local kids rec league to do this, otherwise it can take 10 seconds to get a coach to respond.

How does it work for you?

Pretty well. Most coaches respond when you look at hem with a questioning look on your face.

And how do you treat it if the request is from a player on the floor?

Ask the coach.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

I ask the coaches in the pre-game meeting to let us know. They usually (75% of the time) let us know right when the TO is requested then. Otherwise I ask once or twice.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Since coaches are the only ones that seem to request timeouts anymore, I ask a couple of times to make sure I see what they want. They are often not paying that much attention to us, so I give them some leeway. Most coaches respond right away and this is not a problem.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

operator error, sorry trying to get colored response, next post should be right

Last edited by Loudwhistle; Fri Feb 05, 2010 at 12:12am.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Do you guys usually ask a coach if they want a full or a 30 if they haven't indicated one or the other? If so, how many times will you ask before you realize they're not responsive?
I cover timeouts in the coaches meeting, "if you don't indicate, its a full"
Agree, I've had some coaches not want to tell me and give me a dirty look first then tap their shoulder to indicate a 30. Seems like a power play, not T'able but does piss me off, ask a guy twice what he wants and have him look at you like you were speaking Chinese. And how do you treat it if the request is from a player on the floor?
I ask the coach.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDog249 View Post
I ask the coaches in the pre-game meeting to let us know. They usually (75% of the time) let us know right when the TO is requested then. Otherwise I ask once or twice.
I've started to do this as well. It's worked for me, for the most part.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

I'll ask the coach at most 2-3 times. If the coach doesn't answer me after that, I default to a full timeout. I've only had to do that a couple of times this year. Most of the time, an assistant is helpful and will inform us what type the coach wanted.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 06:10am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I handle it like.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDog249 View Post
I ask the coaches in the pre-game meeting to let us know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Since coaches are the only ones that seem to request timeouts anymore, I ask a couple of times to make sure I see what they want. They are often not paying that much attention to us, so I give them some leeway. Most coaches don't respond right away and this is not a problem.
Word
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I'll ask the coach at most 2-3 times. If the coach doesn't answer me after that, I default to a full timeout. I've only had to do that a couple of times this year. Most of the time, an assistant is helpful and will inform us what type the coach wanted.
I've only had to default once this year, and I only did that after asking the scorer if he had signaled.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 10:47am
Courageous When Prudent

I ask once, maybe twice. If no response then I go by how they are positioned at their bench. Standing on the court = 30 Players sitting down = full

Worked for me so far. BTW, when I ask, I usually direct the question towards one of the AC's. Makes them feel important.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

I specifically tell the coaches in the pregame that if I don't see the indication, they get a full automatically. When they acknowledge that, they have no defense when they get a full :30 into the game and they are so mad at their team they forget to signal, and don't hear my question. I will still ask 2 x's.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
I specifically tell the coaches in the pregame that if I don't see the indication, they get a full automatically. When they acknowledge that, they have no defense when they get a full :30 into the game and they are so mad at their team they forget to signal, and don't hear my question. I will still ask 2 x's.
Great approach. Pre-games can be a great tool. Discussing pre-game alone would make for a good thread.....and, I'm sure it's already been covered here. Will have to do some searching.

I tell coaches they need to communicate 30 or full when requesting TO. If no indicator and/or no response to the crew, we assume 30.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Most will tell when requesting. If not, by the time you call the time out and find your partner to spot the ball, most teams have settled in at their benches; then it's a simple matter of if they're standing it's 30 seconds and if sitting its a Full - no need to chase the coach.