The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Question Timeout Mechanic

The NFHS rule book is pretty clear on where officials are to stand during time-outs, but what's not clear to me is which officials are to stand at which positions and when. I've worked with partners who do it differently. What's the right way?

Let's use the example of a timeout being called by A after a made basket by B. The new trail official calls the timeout and goes to the table and reports it. At this point which official goes where during the timeout? Does the new trail stay at midcourt or return to the inbounds spot? Do the officials switch in this scenario so the calling official stays at midcourt? Do the officials switch positions when the TO is called but switch again to their original positions after the first horn? Assume 2-man.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

A TO does not force a switch. So, go back to where you were. If you were going to inbound the ball, go to the inbound spot. If you were not going to inbound the ball, go to the division line (two-person) or top-of-key / blocks (three-person)
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

This seems to be a huge point of confusion w/ guys I work w/. I believe the manual says the non-administering official should be on the circle. So in your case, T would report, then go back to the throw in spot. L would stay on the circle and assume the 30 or 60 spot and then notify both teams of the first horn and take his position on the floor after that.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20
This seems to be a huge point of confusion w/ guys I work w/. I believe the manual says the non-administering official should be on the circle. So in your case, T would report, then go back to the throw in spot. L would stay on the circle and assume the 30 or 60 spot and then notify both teams of the first horn and take his position on the floor after that.
Yep, as Bob said there is no switching during a time-out.

For 3-man the free officials should go to spots nearest to where they will be when play resumes. Don't make the C go all the way down to the other end of the court.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Yep, as Bob said there is no switching during a time-out.

For 3-man the free officials should go to spots nearest to where they will be when play resumes. Don't make the C go all the way down to the other end of the court.
For 2 man, there is ONE case in which a timeout causes a switch....

Ball near leads sideline above FT line but still in front court. Whoever calls the timeout reports it but the lead will end up at the throwin spot, the trail be at the division line. At the end of the timeout, the trail will go to the endline and become the lead while the old lead is now trail....this is the only non-foul switch possible in NFHS 2-man mechanics.

Just to reprhrase what others have said for the NFHS 2-man timeout mechanics (in case it is still unclear)...
  1. When the timeout is called, determine the location of the throwin.
  2. Whichever official is responsible for a throwin at that spot (as if a defensive violation had occurred at that spot) shall be the one to go to the throwin spot.
  3. The other official goes to the division line.
  4. At the end of the timeout, the official at the division line boxes in (whether that makes them trial or lead)
Between 1 & 2, whoever called the timeout reports the time out.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
For 2 man, there is ONE case in which a timeout causes a switch....

Ball near leads sideline above FT line but still in front court. Whoever calls the timeout reports it but the lead will end up at the throwin spot, the trail be at the division line. At the end of the timeout, the trail will go to the endline and become the lead while the old lead is now trail....this is the only non-foul switch possible in NFHS 2-man mechanics.
You could do it that way or the officials could just flip sides of the court instead of switching between Lead and Trail.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:59pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
You could do it that way or the officials could just flip sides of the court instead of switching between Lead and Trail.
This is what ends up happening when I watch games, and with most P's that I work with.

But I like how Camron made it clear that the only non-foul switch is caused by a particular timeout scenario.