The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Shooting at the Wrong Basket

Player A1 inbounds to Player A2 underneath Team B's basket. Player A2 shoots at Team B's basket and scores. I know that the points are awarded to Team B....who gets the credit in Team B's Scorebook for the bucket?

Also, if Player A2 in the same situation is fouled while shooting at Team B's Basket, by Player B1. What is the call if she A) Makes the bucket and B) Misses the bucket?

Thanks
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALKERB84 View Post
1. Player A1 inbounds to Player A2 underneath Team B's basket. Player A2 shoots at Team B's basket and scores. I know that the points are awarded to Team B....who gets the credit in Team B's Scorebook for the bucket?

2. Also, if Player A2 in the same situation is fouled while shooting at Team B's Basket, by Player B1. What is the call if she A) Makes the bucket and B) Misses the bucket?

Thanks
1. Someone else will have to answer this one, but I think it's just noted as a team point.
2. Doesn't matter if the basket is made or not, it's a common foul. Free throws will only be shot if the team is in the bonus. The only way this basket could count is if the ball goes through the basket before the foul. Otherwise the ball becomes dead immediately since it's not a "try" as defined in the rules.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

As far as who gets the credit, who cares? The running score is all that matters to me - usually this is given to the captain.

As to your second question, if the player is fouled in the act of shooting at the wrong basket the ball becomes dead immediately becuase this is not considered a shooting foul. Wave off the basket and give to B at the spot nearest the foul unless B is in the bonus in which case you would shoot the bonus free throws. There has been a casebook play on this very situation although I don't have it handy.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
As far as who gets the credit, who cares? The running score is all that matters to me - usually this is given to the captain.

5-2-3 "not credited to a player, but is indicated in a footnote."
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
5-2-3 "not credited to a player, but is indicated in a footnote."
Thanks Bob - probably a long held misconception, although like I said I never really bothered to care about this one.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Is this even worthy of Mythbusters?

Quote:
I'd never even heard this one. The rumor I heard was it would be credited to the closest offensive player.
As bob points out, though, it's not.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Slow Whistle, I was wondering from a book keepers viewpoint.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1. Someone else will have to answer this one, but I think it's just noted as a team point.
2. Doesn't matter if the basket is made or not, it's a common foul. Free throws will only be shot if the team is in the bonus. The only way this basket could count is if the ball goes through the basket before the foul. Otherwise the ball becomes dead immediately since it's not a "try" as defined in the rules.
Assuming ball goes through the basket before the foul, do we agree that your foul must be technical since you have a dead ball and airborne shooter principle would not apply? Better be a good one!
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Assuming ball goes through the basket before the foul, do we agree that your foul must be technical since you have a dead ball and airborne shooter principle would not apply? Better be a good one!
Excellent point.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALKERB84 View Post
Player A1 inbounds to Player A2 underneath Team B's basket. Player A2 shoots at Team B's basket and scores. I know that the points are awarded to Team B....who gets the credit in Team B's Scorebook for the bucket?

Also, if Player A2 in the same situation is fouled while shooting at Team B's Basket, by Player B1. What is the call if she A) Makes the bucket and B) Misses the bucket?

Thanks
Somebody shine the CHSEAGLE SIGNAL!