The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 05:33pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Lightbulb Friday Night Lights

GV game Friday…..two large, rival schools. JV officials come in the locker room after their game. We ask how much time is on the clock, they say 20:00. Five minutes later we go out. R looks at the clock – 20:00!

DJ (yes, DJ) comes out and says he is having “technical difficulties.” We take the court a few minutes later. Go through the meetings – R tries to be humorous with the girls – yuck.

We line up for the National Anthem…..and the student singing live forgets the words. I looked at her and picked it up and the entire crowd now sings the final few stanzas.

Lights go down, players are announced with strobes and such….and then, the lights won’t heat up again and go on. Game delayed until the gym gets bright enough! I'm U1, V coach knows what’s coming and asks me if we can start as this may help his team……Funny!

Game starts. A scores (2-0). B inbounds and A steals (4-0). B inbounds and throws it away. A scores (6-0) with 6:45 to go in first period. B now gets the ball over the Division Line and B Guard puts the ball on her hip and stands there. A is not challenging her. Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick…..for about 30 seconds, and THEY’RE down 6-0.

B worked a very deliberate half-court offense all night. A eventually doubled B’s score. Several nasty collisions and minor injuries. One collision was two players from the same team.

And so my Friday night went.

Sad to say, I was thinking (WWMPD? Did he write this script?).
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 09:02pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
GV game Friday…..two large, rival schools. JV officials come in the locker room after their game. We ask how much time is on the clock, they say 20:00. Five minutes later we go out. R looks at the clock – 20:00!

DJ (yes, DJ) comes out and says he is having “technical difficulties.” We take the court a few minutes later. Go through the meetings – R tries to be humorous with the girls – yuck.

We line up for the National Anthem…..and the student singing live forgets the words. I looked at her and picked it up and the entire crowd now sings the final few stanzas.

Lights go down, players are announced with strobes and such….and then, the lights won’t heat up again and go on. Game delayed until the gym gets bright enough! I'm U1, V coach knows what’s coming and asks me if we can start as this may help his team……Funny!

Game starts. A scores (2-0). B inbounds and A steals (4-0). B inbounds and throws it away. A scores (6-0) with 6:45 to go in first period. B now gets the ball over the Division Line and B Guard puts the ball on her hip and stands there. A is not challenging her. Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick…..for about 30 seconds, and THEY’RE down 6-0.

B worked a very deliberate half-court offense all night. A eventually doubled B’s score. Several nasty collisions and minor injuries. One collision was two players from the same team.

And so my Friday night went.

Sad to say, I was thinking (WWMPD? Did he write this script?).
He'd have puked on the coaches' shoes while it was still dark.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

My Biggest Games Ever - want to say thanks

This is my first year at the Varsity level and tonight I had the AP 1A #6 girls and then the AP 1A #1 boys teams in a double header. The Girls game was a 40 point blowout and the boys game was a 70 point blowout. I felt like I did very well in the girls game - called a good game and didn't hear any complaints from players, coaches or fans.

I felt like I was a step behind during the boys game, more nervous in general. While I didn't feel as confident after the boys game it apparently didn't show enough for the crowd, coaches or players to realize...other than the beads of sweat on my forehead.

I know that a lot of the credit goes to this discussion board. I read religiously multiple times per day and have learned a ton. The one question I can't seem to find an answer to is "what is the number one rule of officiating?
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

Gigdgo
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
I felt like I was a step behind during the boys game, more nervous in general. While I didn't feel as confident after the boys game it apparently didn't show enough for the crowd, coaches or players to realize...other than the beads of sweat on my forehead.
I sure know that feeling. I work very hard to slow the game down by focusing intensely on the 4 or so players in my PCA. I count them, I watch the matchups, and remind myself to focus on the defense. Then I relax, let the game come to me, and have a patient whistle. Seems to work for me.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 11:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm just the opposite. I'm close to putting girls basketball behind me, to be honest. At times I struggle with the lack of pace and the players' lack of being able to work through any kind of contact. I'd say that, on average, my girls games have 10 more fouls than my boys games and are about half as fun to work. There are always exceptions, but I'm not sure they're worth it.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 02:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

As A Lurker, You Should No Better Than To Ask That ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
What is the number one rule of officiating?
Noooooooooooooooo !!! What have you done Scuba_ref? It's going to be like the apocalypse and armageddon rolled into one.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 04:51pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Noooooooooooooooo !!! What have you done Scuba_ref? It's going to be like the apocalypse and armageddon rolled into one.
Only if he violates it.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Out with a Bang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
With three weeks and 21 games left until the season ends for me I thought it might be nice to end with a bang.

As an acolyte of the grand MP I can honestly say that I have not broken THE RULE in the three years/150+ games of my officiating career.

Last edited by Scuba_ref; Sun Jan 31, 2010 at 08:49pm.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Stanzas plural?? How many stanzas do you usually sing? Do you mean phrases? Bars?
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 08:58pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
You Mean You Only Sing the First?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Stanzas plural?? How many stanzas do you usually sing? Do you mean phrases? Bars?
Wasn't sure if it was the right terminology or not, but knew someone would certainly let me know......bottom line, she forgot the words.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 10:26pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Wasn't sure if it was the right terminology or not, but knew someone would certainly let me know......bottom line, she forgot the words.
Most people don' know there are any words beyond the first stanza. You can't forget what you don't know.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
You can't forget what you don't know.
True. Also, you can't forget what you do know.