The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 05:33pm
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,643
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Lightbulb Friday Night Lights

GV game Friday…..two large, rival schools. JV officials come in the locker room after their game. We ask how much time is on the clock, they say 20:00. Five minutes later we go out. R looks at the clock – 20:00!

DJ (yes, DJ) comes out and says he is having “technical difficulties.” We take the court a few minutes later. Go through the meetings – R tries to be humorous with the girls – yuck.

We line up for the National Anthem…..and the student singing live forgets the words. I looked at her and picked it up and the entire crowd now sings the final few stanzas.

Lights go down, players are announced with strobes and such….and then, the lights won’t heat up again and go on. Game delayed until the gym gets bright enough! I'm U1, V coach knows what’s coming and asks me if we can start as this may help his team……Funny!

Game starts. A scores (2-0). B inbounds and A steals (4-0). B inbounds and throws it away. A scores (6-0) with 6:45 to go in first period. B now gets the ball over the Division Line and B Guard puts the ball on her hip and stands there. A is not challenging her. Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick…..for about 30 seconds, and THEY’RE down 6-0.

B worked a very deliberate half-court offense all night. A eventually doubled B’s score. Several nasty collisions and minor injuries. One collision was two players from the same team.

And so my Friday night went.

Sad to say, I was thinking (WWMPD? Did he write this script?).
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 09:02pm
Aleve Titles to Others
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Westchester of the Southern Conference
Posts: 5,386
Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
GV game Friday…..two large, rival schools. JV officials come in the locker room after their game. We ask how much time is on the clock, they say 20:00. Five minutes later we go out. R looks at the clock – 20:00!

DJ (yes, DJ) comes out and says he is having “technical difficulties.” We take the court a few minutes later. Go through the meetings – R tries to be humorous with the girls – yuck.

We line up for the National Anthem…..and the student singing live forgets the words. I looked at her and picked it up and the entire crowd now sings the final few stanzas.

Lights go down, players are announced with strobes and such….and then, the lights won’t heat up again and go on. Game delayed until the gym gets bright enough! I'm U1, V coach knows what’s coming and asks me if we can start as this may help his team……Funny!

Game starts. A scores (2-0). B inbounds and A steals (4-0). B inbounds and throws it away. A scores (6-0) with 6:45 to go in first period. B now gets the ball over the Division Line and B Guard puts the ball on her hip and stands there. A is not challenging her. Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick…..for about 30 seconds, and THEY’RE down 6-0.

B worked a very deliberate half-court offense all night. A eventually doubled B’s score. Several nasty collisions and minor injuries. One collision was two players from the same team.

And so my Friday night went.

Sad to say, I was thinking (WWMPD? Did he write this script?).
He'd have puked on the coaches' shoes while it was still dark.
__________________
Never hit a piñata if you see hornets flying out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 02:04am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 259
My Biggest Games Ever - want to say thanks

This is my first year at the Varsity level and tonight I had the AP 1A #6 girls and then the AP 1A #1 boys teams in a double header. The Girls game was a 40 point blowout and the boys game was a 70 point blowout. I felt like I did very well in the girls game - called a good game and didn't hear any complaints from players, coaches or fans.

I felt like I was a step behind during the boys game, more nervous in general. While I didn't feel as confident after the boys game it apparently didn't show enough for the crowd, coaches or players to realize...other than the beads of sweat on my forehead.

I know that a lot of the credit goes to this discussion board. I read religiously multiple times per day and have learned a ton. The one question I can't seem to find an answer to is "what is the number one rule of officiating?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 03:41am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 937
Gigdgo
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 10:48am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
I felt like I was a step behind during the boys game, more nervous in general. While I didn't feel as confident after the boys game it apparently didn't show enough for the crowd, coaches or players to realize...other than the beads of sweat on my forehead.
I sure know that feeling. I work very hard to slow the game down by focusing intensely on the 4 or so players in my PCA. I count them, I watch the matchups, and remind myself to focus on the defense. Then I relax, let the game come to me, and have a patient whistle. Seems to work for me.
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 11:09am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,737
I'm just the opposite. I'm close to putting girls basketball behind me, to be honest. At times I struggle with the lack of pace and the players' lack of being able to work through any kind of contact. I'd say that, on average, my girls games have 10 more fouls than my boys games and are about half as fun to work. There are always exceptions, but I'm not sure they're worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 02:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 20,690
As A Lurker, You Should No Better Than To Ask That ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
What is the number one rule of officiating?
Noooooooooooooooo !!! What have you done Scuba_ref? It's going to be like the apocalypse and armageddon rolled into one.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 04:51pm
Aleve Titles to Others
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Westchester of the Southern Conference
Posts: 5,386
Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Noooooooooooooooo !!! What have you done Scuba_ref? It's going to be like the apocalypse and armageddon rolled into one.
Only if he violates it.
__________________
Never hit a piñata if you see hornets flying out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 259
Out with a Bang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Noooooooooooooooo !!! What have you done Scuba_ref? It's going to be like the apocalypse and armageddon rolled into one.
With three weeks and 21 games left until the season ends for me I thought it might be nice to end with a bang.

As an acolyte of the grand MP I can honestly say that I have not broken THE RULE in the three years/150+ games of my officiating career.

Last edited by Scuba_ref; Sun Jan 31, 2010 at 08:49pm.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
We line up for the National Anthem…..and the student singing live forgets the words. I looked at her and picked it up and the entire crowd now sings the final few stanzas.
Stanzas plural?? How many stanzas do you usually sing? Do you mean phrases? Bars?
__________________
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 08:58pm
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,643
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
You Mean You Only Sing the First?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Stanzas plural?? How many stanzas do you usually sing? Do you mean phrases? Bars?
Wasn't sure if it was the right terminology or not, but knew someone would certainly let me know......bottom line, she forgot the words.
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 10:26pm
Aleve Titles to Others
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Westchester of the Southern Conference
Posts: 5,386
Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Wasn't sure if it was the right terminology or not, but knew someone would certainly let me know......bottom line, she forgot the words.
Most people don' know there are any words beyond the first stanza. You can't forget what you don't know.
__________________
Never hit a piñata if you see hornets flying out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 08:07am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
You can't forget what you don't know.
True. Also, you can't forget what you do know.
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The night the lights went out in Georgia voiceoflg Football 8 Thu Oct 23, 2008 08:19am
Friday Night Lights In January??? Blue37 Football 3 Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:29pm
Friday Night Lights. Mike Simonds Football 16 Fri Feb 11, 2005 04:33pm
Friday Night Lights bjudge Football 18 Mon Oct 11, 2004 08:29pm
Friday night. devdog69 Basketball 29 Tue Jan 29, 2002 12:45am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1