The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 10, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

I just saw the movie last night. After watching the movie, it appears there are several exaggerations about high school football.

Doesn't Texas follow the Fed rules? They had a receiver returning the ball out of the end zone. Of course, under the Fed rules, the ball is dead during a kick play once it crosses the end zone, unless this has been changed since 1988.

Of course this was a movie, but I was still shocked about personal fouls that occurred during some of the plays. I saw two face mask plays that would have ripped the guys head off in a real game and/or would have been followed up by an ejection in my part of the country.

The other thing that irritated me about the movie is that they implied an official purposely made a bad call to help a team during a state championship game. At least in my state, the officials in the state championship game are some of the most highly regarded officials in the state. I know most, if not all, officials try their best to call a fair game. Is it that bad in Texas, or is it once again Hollywood and the media taking another cheap shot at officials?

Did anyone else notice anything interesting about the movie?

Old Sun Oct 10, 2004, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Texas plays under NCAA rules
Old Sun Oct 10, 2004, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

I always wonder where they get officials to play officials in movies. Do they get officials, or do they get actors?

If they get officials, do the officials object to being portrayed negatively, or to doing things officials wouldn't do?

If they get actors, do they get officials to train them?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2004, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

My guess is that they would use real officials. Most sports movies dont have a lot of shots with the officials, so it wouldnt make sense to get actors and to train them to be officials. I am sure they could get local officials to appear in the movie as extras to work a few days for almost nothing.

There is one scene in the movie where you see the officials having a conference about a call. Lets just say I dont think an Academy Award nomination will be made for that scene.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2004, 04:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

It was stated on the "other site" that the officials in the movie were real officials. I guess they got some guys from the local officials groups and used them. Not sure if that is accurate, but that is what was said. Confused

Peace
Old Sun Oct 10, 2004, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
It was stated on the "other site" that the officials in the movie were real officials.
There is an "other site"? Why would there even be a need for one? Everything you could want is here...
Old Sun Oct 10, 2004, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
It was stated on the "other site" that the officials in the movie were real officials.
There is an "other site"? Why would there even be a need for one? Everything you could want is here...
Well for more scenarios, questisons and thinkers you can go to these two:
http://www.nfhs.org
http://www.gmcgriff.com/refonline

I believe McGriff's is the one with this discussion that Rut is referring to, atelast I saw it there.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2004, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone else notice the kids wearing Under Armor and the Evolution helmets ???
Must have been the prototype models.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2004, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Hurray for Hollywood

Thanks for the review of the movie.

Now I don't have to waste any money to see it; not that I planned to anyway.

It's all Hollywood make believe anyway; based on an event that may have happened somewhere where some writer thought this might sell tickets.

Just like the NFL and the NCAA, it's all about the money.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2004, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Permian appears to be the first stadium to have field turf as well.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Texas plays under NCAA rules.
Local officials were used in the movie.
As far as the game it's self, Permien's first road game was with Amarillo Tascosa not Jesuit. Jesuit is not a public school and did not play in public school playoff until last year.
In the movie Carter was ranked #1 in the state. Carter was never ranked above #3 by the AP poll.
Carter and Permian played at Austin Memoral Stadium in a rain storm in front of 10,000 fans. It was the state simifinal game.
In the movie it shows it to be the state final game at the Astro Dome in front of 55,000 fans . Not a high scoring game. Carter won 14-9.
Permain did have a state of the art stadium at the time with artificial turf, press box suites and 22,000 seating.
Carter was playing during a court hearing charging them with illigal players or player because of grade changing.
I think after Carter won the state title they were later founf to be guilty and were striped of the crown. I think I read that they have yet to return the trophy.
That Carter team had 12 blue chip player who later that year were caught in a theft ring and most were sent to prison.One of the few that was not involved was Jessie Armstead the NFL linebacker.
All of this is from memory so don't hold me to it being exact. As we say here in Texas "It really happened that way, execpt for a lie or two here and there".
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Reel life vs. Real Life on "Friday Night Lights."
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texoma_LJ
I am sure Under Armour, Evolution and Nike paid the production company to use their products in the movie.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texoma_LJ
I noticed a shot of the scoreboard with the most recent Bank of America logo on it. Bank of America did not start using that logo until after their merger with NationsBank sometime in the 1990's. I think in 1988 NationsBank had a big presence in TX and am not sure that BofA had any.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Tough critics....Sheesh....

I saw the movie opening night. I think its a movie that tries to portray what its like to play high school football, especially in Texas where football is God in most cases. I graduated from high school ten years ago, and a lot of the material in the film hit home with me. It sparked a lot of memories and feelings that haven't thought or felt in years. I think its a good movie, but I don't think that every football fan is going to enjoy it....

Definitely not for younger kids though....This is not another "Remember the Titans."

[Edited by Simbio on Oct 11th, 2004 at 04:24 PM]