The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

I have a bit of a trump card, especially with the fact that the next game is district playoffs. I mentioned in the e-mail, that I can get around without being the wheelchair, by using a walker. Also, how I am understanding things, when I go in to see the Orthopedic on Monday, I will be getting a hinged brace for my leg instead of the knee immobilizer.

I also mentioned in the e-mail, by previous experience, that it would be a better idea to have personnel at the table that have experience in table operations.

I am hoping push doesn't come to shove where I have to quote federal regualtions.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 04:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
I have a bit of a trump card, especially with the fact that the next game is district playoffs. I mentioned in the e-mail, that I can get around without being the wheelchair, by using a walker. Also, how I am understanding things, when I go in to see the Orthopedic on Monday, I will be getting a hinged brace for my leg instead of the knee immobilizer.

I also mentioned in the e-mail, by previous experience, that it would be a better idea to have personnel at the table that have experience in table operations.

I am hoping push doesn't come to shove where I have to quote federal regualtions.
Again, good luck, but keep in mind that ADA doesn't apply if your disability isn't expected to last more than 6 months.
I'm also not sure if it covers volunteer positions. They have to find a way for you to watch the game, I imagine (not sure), but they don't have to accomodate a temporary injury.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Again, good luck, but keep in mind that ADA doesn't apply if your disability isn't expected to last more than 6 months.
I'm also not sure if it covers volunteer positions. They have to find a way for you to watch the game, I imagine (not sure), but they don't have to accomodate a temporary injury.
Technically however, I am disabled by other means so ADA would still come into effect.

ADA regulations cover both paid & volunteer positions when it comes to work/employment, as well as for spectators/leisure.

I know ADA almost inside & out. Like I mentioned, I am hoping that I don't have to bring it up.

Being that I am getting SSI shows that I have disability also the fact that I have authorization for disabled parking privliges. This happened before the injury.

Technically & legally if a person doing scorebook is confined to a wheelchair due to health, they must be allowed access to the scorers' table.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 04:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Technically however, I am disabled by other means so ADA would still come into effect.

ADA regulations cover both paid & volunteer positions when it comes to work/employment, as well as for spectators/leisure.

I know ADA almost inside & out. Like I mentioned, I am hoping that I don't have to bring it up.

Being that I am getting SSI shows that I have disability also the fact that I have authorization for disabled parking privliges. This happened before the injury.

Technically & legally if a person doing scorebook is confined to a wheelchair due to health, they must be allowed access to the scorers' table.
Fair enough, but if your inability to access it due to health is temporary (defined by 6 months), I think you'd be hard pressed to hold them to making accomodations for you that are, well, temporarily needed. And if you don't normally work in the "big gym" for varsity contests, I wouldn't expect to be able to force them to make accomodations to promote you.

And, FWIW, I'd quickly find a way to replace a shot clock operator/scorer/timer who thought he was indispensible.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

My favorite sports injury..In the 1980's I was coaching rugby at the Air Force Academy. One of the players, a kid named Roger, comes off the field with the lower half of his face covered in blood. The following conversation took place:

Me: What happened, Roger.

Roger: I bit my lip, Coach.

Me: Where's your mouthguard?

Roger: Didn't have it in.

Me (after throwing water in his face and seeing the extent of the damage): You need to go to the hospital and get your lip sewn back on.

Roger: I'll go after the game. Just rip my lip of coach so I can go back in.

Me: What?

Roger: Rip my lip off, Coach.

Me: Okay.

After 2-3 futile attempts to "rip his lip off" (it was very slimy and hard to get hold off...plus I wasn't actually trying, just humoring him)...

Me: It won't come off, Roger. You need to go to the hospital.

Roger: After the game, Coach. Somebody give me a mouthguard.

4-5 players on the sideline toss mouthguards at him and he picks one up and heads back into the game. We had to physically remove him and forcibly take him to the hospital. The kicker... he retired as a Lt Colonel, B-2 pilot. Rugby players...there you go.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fair enough, but if your inability to access it due to health is temporary (defined by 6 months), I think you'd be hard pressed to hold them to making accomodations for you that are, well, temporarily needed. And if you don't normally work in the "big gym" for varsity contests, I wouldn't expect to be able to force them to make accomodations to promote you.

And, FWIW, I'd quickly find a way to replace a shot clock operator/scorer/timer who thought he was indispensible.
This was the 1st (& hopefully only) time where I've shown up sitting in a wheelchair. I've been at games before where I've been using a cane.

Generally, my wife & I have been rotating this year doing shot clock for the varsity contests. Since I could not access the scorers' table in the secondary gym (due to actually being up in the bleachers & climbing stairs), my wife was doing scorebaord/timer in the secondary gym. Generally she's only in the main gym doing scoreboard/timer for the JV game. Then she'd move over one seat to do shot clock for Girls' Varsity.

The situation comes in where all the AD saw was the wheelchair, but never asked me if I could be mobile out of the wheelchair.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89 View Post
After 2-3 futile attempts to "rip his lip off" (it was very slimy and hard to get hold off...plus I wasn't actually trying, just humoring him)...
I'm thinking I just might skip dinner tonight. Thanks alot.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 05:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I'm thinking I just might skip dinner tonight. Thanks alot.
I drive by the Academy often; never the same after that story.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

A person really has to be tough when flying a B-2 Stealth Bomber with Nuclear Payload.

I'm surprised the officials allowed him to continue playing after getting ripped open like he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89 View Post
My favorite sports injury..In the 1980's I was coaching rugby at the Air Force Academy. One of the players, a kid named Roger, comes off the field with the lower half of his face covered in blood. The following conversation took place:

Me: What happened, Roger.

Roger: I bit my lip, Coach.

Me: Where's your mouthguard?

Roger: Didn't have it in.

Me (after throwing water in his face and seeing the extent of the damage): You need to go to the hospital and get your lip sewn back on.

Roger: I'll go after the game. Just rip my lip of coach so I can go back in.

Me: What?

Roger: Rip my lip off, Coach.

Me: Okay.

Me: It won't come off, Roger. You need to go to the hospital.

Roger: After the game, Coach. Somebody give me a mouthguard.

4-5 players on the sideline toss mouthguards at him and he picks one up and heads back into the game. We had to physically remove him and forcibly take him to the hospital. The kicker... he retired as a Lt Colonel, B-2 pilot. Rugby players...there you go.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 05:19pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
And everyone picks on the Marines....
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 05:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
A person really has to be tough when flying a B-2 Stealth Bomber with Nuclear Payload.
Yep, more so than if they're just carrying a conventional payload.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 05:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Yep. Always will; with respect.

I've known too many pilots to be overly surprised by this story.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Noticed that guy ended up a B-2 pilot. Wonder how many times the line from Airplane has been actually used: "...roger, Roger."

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Well technically, there used to be only 2 Armed Forces: Army & Navy.

Air Force used to be the Army Air Corps. The Marines used to be an extension of the Navy.

Now there's 5 Armed Forces: Navy, Army, Air Force, Marines, & Coast Guard.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 05:30pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Yep. Always will; with respect.
Of course, and as a puke civilian, my respect goes out to all that have served. My grandfather was a career Marine so I have a special place in my heart for them.