The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Odd/usual injuries during basketball games (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56844-odd-usual-injuries-during-basketball-games.html)

chseagle Sun Jan 31, 2010 04:55pm

Odd/usual injuries during basketball games

What's the oddest or most unusual injury you're heard of or seen when officiating??

I am asked cause right now I'm on the injured list due to going for a loose ball last night during Boys' Varsity Halftime. The ball was rolling across the floor during a pop shot, I fell onto the court & popped my left knee out of place.

grunewar Sun Jan 31, 2010 05:12pm

Hmmm.....

Wow, that's a tough one. I'd have to say the most unusual one I've "heard" of was one time when a scorekeeper/security person was trying to retrieve a ball during half-time, he wiped out and hurt his knee. Bizarre! ;)

Seriously though - hope your knee injury is not too bad. Been there, done that. No fun.

chseagle Sun Jan 31, 2010 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 657266)
Wow, that's a tough one. I'd have to say the most unusual one I've "heard" of was one time when a scorekeeper/security person was trying to retrieve a ball during half-time, he wiped out and hurt his knee. Bizarre! ;)

LMAO At the time I was shot clock operator. I'd have to say the odds of an injury like mine happening is like 1:1000.

For at least a week, whenever I'm up on my feet, I have to be in a knee immobilizer. Went to the ER via ambulance, X-rays were done, no signs of damage to bone, however unsure about ligament or tendon damage. Am gonna call the orthopedic tomorrow to schedule a follow-up.

mutantducky Sun Jan 31, 2010 05:21pm

mentioned it here before but saw a ref get tagged in the jewelish area:rolleyes: by a long pass. he recovered after a minute or two.

mcdanrd Sun Jan 31, 2010 05:36pm

Homecoming night, GV before BV with homecoming ceremony at halftime of boys game. With about 2 seconds on clock in girls game H1 comes down with rebound and elbows H2 causing a huge gash over H2's eye. After halftime of boys game we see H2, the homecoming queen, getting her picture taken. She has about 4 butterfly bandages over her eye. Later we were told that she refused to go to the hospital to get stitches. She did go get the stitches after the homecoming ceremony.

chseagle Sun Jan 31, 2010 05:43pm

Standing ovation

When I was going out to the ambulance on the stretcher, the announcer mentioned who I was & I got a standing ovation from everyone.

As soon as I went down after letting out a blood-curdling scream, I had several people by my side. I ended up near the home bench, between the sideline & the 3-pt. line, Thankfully I didn't hit my head or back.

Originally the halftime was a 10 minute halftime, it got extended to being about 30 minutes.

Rich Sun Jan 31, 2010 05:48pm

Last season an official at the University of Wisconsin pulled a muscle running out to the blocks for the start of the game. He didn't work. Don't remember what happened -- I think they started with 2 and someone came and jumped in later in the game.

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 31, 2010 05:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 657270)
At the time I was shot clock operator.

For at least a week, whenever I'm up on my feet, I have to be in a knee immobilizer. Went to the ER via ambulance, X-rays were done, no signs of damage to bone, however unsure about ligament or tendon damage. Am gonna call the orthopedic tomorrow to schedule a follow-up.

Well, that's sureashell gotta be an L&I claim.

I'd consider a private law suit to cover your pain and suffering too. Notify the SPCSCO(Society to Prevent Cruelty to Shot Clock Operators) immediately also. They have branches in all major cities.

Whatever you do, don't let them get away with such a dastardly deed. We're all behind you.

And be sure to let us know if there's anything we can do, like maybe fire-bomb the gym so that something like this never happens again.

VTOfficial Sun Jan 31, 2010 06:01pm

A few years ago, when I was still a JV official, with about one minute left in the 2nd quarter, one of the varsity guys running ahead on a fast-break came up lame with a pulled hamstring. As they were headed to the room for halftime, he motioned for me to come out of the stands. I suited up and we tried to do 3-man for the second half, but after about one minute into the 3rd quarter he couldn't go any further so I got thrown into my first varsity 2-man game.

I wasn't at this game but an official I worked with said that at a VG game he had earlier this month, H1 went up for a shot and landed awkwardly on the defenders foot and broke both bones in her leg right above the ankle. I had the team last week and she is now in a full cast from toes to hip...ouch!!

fullor30 Sun Jan 31, 2010 06:31pm

Quote:

LMAO At the time I was shot clock operator. I'd have to say the odds of an injury like mine happening is like 1:1000.

AGAIN!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Good Gravy!

bob jenkins Sun Jan 31, 2010 06:34pm

Quote:

LMAO At the time I was shot clock operator.

Chasing the ball is the scorer's job.

grunewar Sun Jan 31, 2010 06:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 657290)

Good Gravy!

When I come home tired and sore my wife has no sympathy for me at all.

My mind is willing, but the flesh gets weaker and weaker! :(

But like you, I am aware of "the eagles" medical history......

BillyMac Sun Jan 31, 2010 06:52pm

Don't Let The Door Hit You In The *** On The Way Out ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 657279)
When I was going out to the ambulance on the stretcher, the announcer mentioned who I was & I got a standing ovation from everyone.

chseagle: Are you sure that they weren't applauding because you were leaving?

grunewar Sun Jan 31, 2010 06:54pm

Now THAT's Funny

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 657301)

Oh so wrong, but funny.

BillyMac - you think after 30 minutes they wanted to get the game started? :rolleyes:

chseagle Sun Jan 31, 2010 07:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 657284)
Well, that's sureashell gotta be an L&I claim.

I'd consider a private law suit to cover your pain and suffering too. Notify the SPCSCO(Society to Prevent Cruelty to Shot Clock Operators) immediately also. They have branches in all major cities.

Whatever you do, don't let them get away with such a dastardly deed. We're all behind you.

And be sure to let us know if there's anything we can do, like maybe fire-bomb the gym so that something like this never happens again.

L&I wouln't cover it, as I was a volunteer. Being that I'm now on SSI I have medicaid for medical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 657290)

Good Gravy!

It's been like 3-4 months+ since I went to the ER via ambulance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 657293)
Chasing the ball is the scorer's job.

The scorer wouldn't be able move that easily considering her age. She don't go chasing balls. At the time she was out in the foyer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 657301)

Actually I had the visiting HC coming over checking on me while I was on the court. It's common procedure that when a player or others are injured where the game is stopped/delayed that everyone in the crowd gives their support to the person injured. The game management is like an extended family.