The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pregame (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56868-pregame.html)

refguy Mon Feb 01, 2010 09:52pm

Pregame

Just did a game where our whole pregame consisted of the other two talking about work, high school sports and everything else except our game. Then we get on the court and it showed. Amazing ....

eyezen Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refguy (Post 657644)
Just did a game where our whole pregame consisted of the other two talking about work, high school sports and everything else except our game. Then we get on the court and it showed. Amazing ....

So it goes...someway somehow even if your not the "R" you have to steer the conversation towards the game your working.

Nevadaref Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:36pm

When you find yourself in such a situation, just focus on yourself and don't worry about the other guys. After all, you can only control what you do.

Jeremy Hohn Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:42pm

That's true. Sometimes I get the conversation back on track with "so how do you want to handle the subs?" or something like that to get the coversation back on track. If they insist on doing that, handle your game, and then just elect to call with officials that take the game a bit more seriously.

refguy Tue Feb 02, 2010 04:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hohn (Post 657655)
That's true. Sometimes I get the conversation back on track with "so how do you want to handle the subs?" or something like that to get the conversation back on track. If they insist on doing that, handle your game, and then just elect to call with officials that take the game a bit more seriously.

Can't really control that at college level. Just get in and get out. Funny thing is both coaches were yelling at them the entire game and left me alone. I thought that was cool that it was that obvious who was prepared and who wasn't.

eyezen Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refguy (Post 657700)
Can't really control that at college level. Just get in and get out. Funny thing is both coaches were yelling at them the entire game and left me alone. I thought that was cool that it was that obvious who was prepared and who wasn't.

Why can't you? Inquiring minds want to know.

fullor30 Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:16am

If I find there is a reluctance to have a pregame, I'll bring up something that I may have a problem with "by the way guys, I sometimes lose my fouler, so help me" Now I might be making stuff up, but it starts the conversation and however loosely structured, anything discussed is a positive.

Raymond Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refguy (Post 657700)

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 657758)
Why can't you? Inquiring minds want to know.

Guess it depends on how prolific your college schedule is. Me, definitely not in my best interest to tell my supervisors who I will or won't work with.

eyezen Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 657779)
Guess it depends on how prolific your college schedule is. Me, definitely not in my best interest to tell my supervisors who I will or won't work with.

My mistake...I misinterpreted the response as in can't control what is talked about in a pregame.