The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

something I've observed

After my Girls JV game today (which went pretty smooth without problems), I stuck around to watch the first half of the Varsity game before I had to leave. Saw something that the officials did that I don't think I've seen done the same way in any other games I've seen in a similar situation:

V dribbles the ball down to the endline and gets under the basket. Stops... then it looks as if she is going up to try and shoot the ball. Get's fouled. Referee points to the OOB spot nearest the foul and says "underneath". Seems like I was the only one to hear this as the gym was pretty quiet still at this moment. He goes to table to report the foul and then points again to OOB spot. Gym erupts and coach is asking "wasn't she shooting?!"

At halftime I go to the locker room with the referees to grab my bag, but I just had to ask. "Why wasn't that a shooting foul?" His response; "She was behind the basket, there's no way she could have shot for an attempt to score points". His partner agreed and I left it at that.

Am I missing something here or does it seem like they messed up that call? The girl definitely went up for a shot, and it did not seem as if she was too far under the basket that she couldn't maybe swing her arm around to get a better angle at a "do-able" shot.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
After my Girls JV game today (which went pretty smooth without problems), I stuck around to watch the first half of the Varsity game before I had to leave. Saw something that the officials did that I don't think I've seen done the same way in any other games I've seen in a similar situation:

V dribbles the ball down to the endline and gets under the basket. Stops... then it looks as if she is going up to try and shoot the ball. [/COLOR]Get's fouled. Referee points to the OOB spot nearest the foul and says "underneath". Seems like I was the only one to hear this as the gym was pretty quiet still at this moment. He goes to table to report the foul and then points again to OOB spot. Gym erupts and coach is asking "wasn't she shooting?!"

At halftime I go to the locker room with the referees to grab my bag, but I just had to ask. "Why wasn't that a shooting foul?" His response; "She was behind the basket, there's no way she could have shot for an attempt to score points". His partner agreed and I left it at that.

Am I missing something here or does it seem like they messed up that call? The girl definitely went up for a shot, and it did not seem as if she was too far under the basket that she couldn't maybe swing her arm around to get a better angle at a "do-able" shot.

It's impossible to me based on your description to comment. What may have happened was she felt the foul and attempted to 'sell' an attempted shot with a late follow through after the whistle. If you were in locker room during my halftime and asked me 'why wasn't that a shooting foul' I wouldn't be happy. You sound like the coach for pete's sake.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
It's impossible to me based on your description to comment. What may have happened was she felt the foul and attempted to 'sell' an attempted shot with a late follow through after the whistle.
That could be possible... sorry for a not-so-good description.

Quote:
If you were in locker room during my halftime and asked me 'why wasn't that a shooting foul' I wouldn't be happy
He wanted me to comment on the half so far, so I brought that up. I wouldn't have gone in and ask that without you saying something like that.

Quote:
You sound like the coach for pete's sake.
Um, isn't that what this forum is for, to ask questions? Not like I was asking you to give me the square root of 428137011412022025.

Which, btw, is 654321795.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That could be possible... sorry for a not-so-good description.

He wanted me to comment on the half so far, so I brought that up. I wouldn't have gone in and ask that without you saying something like that.

Um, isn't that what this forum is for, to ask questions? Not like I was asking you to give me the square root of 428137011412022025.

Which, btw, is 654321795.
You left that part out. To me, you asked him an unsolicited question.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

The question to ask that official is would he had disallowed the basket if she somehow had made the shot?
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
The question to ask that official is would he had disallowed the basket if she somehow had made the shot?
haha that is a good question, didn't think of that. I'm seeing him tomorrow I'll be sure to ask that
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's impossible to me based on your description to comment. What may have happened was she felt the foul and attempted to 'sell' an attempted shot with a late follow through after the whistle. If you were in locker room during my halftime and asked me 'why wasn't that a shooting foul' I wouldn't be happy. You sound like the coach for pete's sake.
Why would you be upset if a fellow official asks you a question as such? Its between you and a fellow official. Explain it to him, especially if they might learn something.

And sometimes I watch an official make a call that is so out of left field I love to ask them what they saw on that and why they went one way versus another.

Besides his explanation is a bit weak. Its not our place to judge what is possible or not. We are there to judge the action as it seems fit. Whether a player can or cannot make a shot is of no consequence. It might have been a hail mary attempt but hey, its still an attempt. And if I work with a partner who has that kind of attitude I sure as hell would be upset because I feel as though its a disservice to the game and to officiating.

Was a player making an attempt to put up a shot? That is the only question that needs to be answered. Your feelings on whether a shot is a good one or not has no bearing and I do believe that this type of personal intergection is a big cause for officiating being so subjective in certain situations when it need not be. (end rant)
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 07:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
He wanted me to comment on the half so far, so I brought that up.
Your question was legitimate. And the answer that you received was also legitimate. The official told you that in his opinion the player wasn't in the act of shooting. In his opinion, the player could have been in the act of passing instead.

Iow, it was a judgment call. And by inferring that he "messed up that call", all that you're doing now is questioning his judgment and saying that your judgment is better.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 02:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Regular Day At The Office For Larry ...

Quote:
"She was behind the basket, there's no way she could have shot for an attempt to score points".
YouTube - Larry Bird behind the backboard unbelievable shot
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
I certainly don't know NBA rules but you can see the offical waving off the shot, I assume because it went over the top of the backboard as in NFHS 7.1.2b.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

So what do we have if Bird was fouled in this situation (or a high school player for that matter) ?
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiicream View Post
So what do we have if Bird was fouled in this situation (or a high school player for that matter) ?
Hm... good question. I wish I had my rulebook to look this up but it is MIA right now. Vet officials, any input?
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanrd View Post
I certainly don't know NBA rules but you can see the offical waving off the shot, I assume because it went over the top of the backboard as in NFHS 7.1.2b.
Yes that shot was waved off and didn't count. If that shot was made now though, the shot would of been legal. And yes, this would be illegal in under NFHS.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiicream View Post
NBA Casebook 2009-2010

145. Player A1 is dribbling under the basket and behind the backboard when he is nudged out-of-bounds by Player B1. A foul is called on Player B1, and, as Player A1 is falling out-of-bounds, he attempts a field goal which must pass directly behind the backboard. How many free throw attempts are awarded if this is the first team foul on Team B?

None. The ball is awarded to Team A at the free throw line extended on either side of the court. Since the basket cannot be counted if it goes behind the backboard, it cannot be considered a field goal attempt. This is not to be confused with the foul which occurs in front of the backboard and momentum causes the field goal to be attempted directly behind the backboard.

RULE 8 - SECTION II - b
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
NBA Casebook 2009-2010

None. The ball is awarded to Team A at the free throw line extended on either side of the court. Since the basket cannot be counted if it goes behind the backboard, it cannot be considered a field goal attempt.
RULE 8 - SECTION II - b
According to this rule, the basket cannot be counted if it goes behind the backboard