The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 02:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I had an 8th grade boys coach last week come over during a TO and ask if it was OK for a kid to dribble the ball OOB during a spot throw-in. I told him yes. He said he "didn't think it was OK". I looked at him and said, "Do you really think I don't know the rule?" He replied, "Oh, sorry" and just walked away. Didn't hear another word out of him the rest of the game.

I've had coaches challenge me on a rule every once in a while. I sometimes tell them, "Coach, I have a rulebook in my bag. Let's look it up. If you're right, I'll give you $100. But if I'm right, you have to go out into the parking lot and wash my car. Is it a bet?" I've never had a coach take me up on it.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

VB Tuesday night - partner called a travel on V point guard trying some really awkward spin move throughouot the game. We'd both enjoyed conversation with V HC. He was a good guy and had a real grasp of rules. He's up by about 25 when the travel call comes. He said - "he's been doing that all night and you guys haven't called it. (BTW - he had not been doing that all night) Table personnel thought he was upset but I had seen the smirk just before he said it. I looked at him, the scorer was ready to write in the T ............. and I said to the coach - "It's amazing how we improve over the course of a game" He's cracking up - and the scorer looked so disappointed.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:21pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
VB Tuesday night - partner called a travel on V point guard trying some really awkward spin move throughouot the game. We'd both enjoyed conversation with V HC. He was a good guy and had a real grasp of rules. He's up by about 25 when the travel call comes. He said - "he's been doing that all night and you guys haven't called it. (BTW - he had not been doing that all night) Table personnel thought he was upset but I had seen the smirk just before he said it. I looked at him, the scorer was ready to write in the T ............. and I said to the coach - "It's amazing how we improve over the course of a game" He's cracking up - and the scorer looked so disappointed.
Memorable quote from a coach whose point guard had a similar move. After I called it the second time, he got his player's attention. "Hey! He (pointing at me) ain't gonna go for that."

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootrgibson View Post

My son happened to be doing the game with me on his break from Ohio State over the Christmas/Quarter Break....we enjoyed the post game conversation as we drove home...he had no clue as to why I "T'ed" the coach.
Welcome to the board Mr. Diebler!!!