The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Went to the reporting area to report a foul on A1 prior to 2 free throws. A's coach waves me over because he has a question. He asks me to please say something to B2 because he smacked the ball OOB a couple times after B made a basket causing a slight delay in A's ability to get the ball in play. I honestly didnt remember seeing B2 do that but responded: "if I see that, I will take care of it". While I was talking to A's HC, B's fans and I think coaches start yelling that A has to take a time out ot talk to me. What I think they were getting at was maybe A's coach was using this to "ice" the shooter. My conversaion with A's coach was 20 - 30 seconds at best.

If a coach waves you over while you are reporting, do you generally go over and hear him out? I tend to think this is an either way situation. If you go, A is happy and B is unhappy. If you dont, visa-versa. I'm inclined to respect both coaches so I will give them a couple seconds but I would appreciate some feedback from some of the "Old Guys" .

Larks
VIT
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
Went to the reporting area to report a foul on A1 prior to 2 free throws. A's coach waves me over because he has a question. He asks me to please say something to B2 because he smacked the ball OOB a couple times after B made a basket causing a slight delay in A's ability to get the ball in play. I honestly didnt remember seeing B2 do that but responded: "if I see that, I will take care of it". While I was talking to A's HC, B's fans and I think coaches start yelling that A has to take a time out ot talk to me. What I think they were getting at was maybe A's coach was using this to "ice" the shooter. My conversaion with A's coach was 20 - 30 seconds at best.

If a coach waves you over while you are reporting, do you generally go over and hear him out? I tend to think this is an either way situation. If you go, A is happy and B is unhappy. If you dont, visa-versa. I'm inclined to respect both coaches so I will give them a couple seconds but I would appreciate some feedback from some of the "Old Guys" .

Larks
VIT
I'll go over, but 20-30 seconds is 15-20 seconds too long.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 08:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:

Larks
VIT
Larks,
I am naive enough to have gone over to the coach and had a quick word, but I can understand Team B's thought process.
As a free throw shooter, I would welcome the chance to catch a blow.
mick
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

If you switch to trail, there's no reason why you can't have a brief, quiet discussion during the 1st FT while your partner puts the ball into play.

One of the advantages of 3-man mechanics - the trail can always sneak out of the play a bit and talk to the coaches.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

If you can have a BRIEF word without delaying the game or calling attention to yourself-DO IT. Giving the impression that you are interested in the coach's opinion will help with game management. Remember though if you do it for one coach, do it for the other.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 11:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Larks
VIT
I have talked to the coaches if I can read the situation and it is not confrontational. If it is to discuss a judgement call, I am not going to hold up the game to do that, I will go in the other direction.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 02:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[BIf a coach waves you over while you are reporting, do you generally go over and hear him out? I tend to think this is an either way situation. If you go, A is happy and B is unhappy. If you dont, visa-versa. I'm inclined to respect both coaches so I will give them a couple seconds but I would appreciate some feedback from some of the "Old Guys" .
[/B]
I always start listening to what the coach has to say.If it's a legitimate question,I'll answer him if I can do it in 10 words or less.If it requires more explaining than that,I'll ask him to see me during a TO,half,after the game,etc-when I can explain more fully. If the coach just wants to b*tch or vent,then it's "turn your back and walk away time".

"Old guys"? We prefer seasoned,veteran,youth-challenged,etc.,if you don't mind.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
If you switch to trail, there's no reason why you can't have a brief, quiet discussion during the 1st FT while your partner puts the ball into play.

One of the advantages of 3-man mechanics - the trail can always sneak out of the play a bit and talk to the coaches.
Yup. Just being there can diffuse some situations before they become an issue.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Similiar sit last week.

My 23 year vet mentor had a good plan.

Keep conversation short but position yourself where you are facing the OTHER Coach so they can see and hear the short conversation.

Usually help and makes both feel a part and not slighted.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
[BIf a coach waves you over while you are reporting, do you generally go over and hear him out? I tend to think this is an either way situation. If you go, A is happy and B is unhappy. If you dont, visa-versa. I'm inclined to respect both coaches so I will give them a couple seconds but I would appreciate some feedback from some of the "Old Guys" .
I always start listening to what the coach has to say.If it's a legitimate question,I'll answer him if I can do it in 10 words or less.If it requires more explaining than that,I'll ask him to see me during a TO,half,after the game,etc-when I can explain more fully. If the coach just wants to b*tch or vent,then it's "turn your back and walk away time".

"Old guys"? We prefer seasoned,veteran,youth-challenged,etc.,if you don't mind. [/B]
Hey! You stole what I was gonna say, you seasoned, veteran, youth-challenged SOB!
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 07:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Similiar sit last week.

My 23 year vet mentor had a good plan.

Keep conversation short but position yourself where you are facing the OTHER Coach so they can see and hear the short conversation.

Usually help and makes both feel a part and not slighted.
Interesting.
Thanks.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 08:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Coach wanted more than a word, methinks

Being new in my state, I have an interesting schedule.

I worked varsity Friday and Saturday and middle school last night. Two middle school games with 6-minute quarters pays 5 dollars more than a varsity game, BTW.

A coach called a 30-second timeout and then started walking towards my rookie partner on the other side of the court to yell at him for not calling fouls. (Well, my partner could've left his whistle at home, but that's another story).

I don't care much for coaches taking advantage of green officials, so since I was between the huddles after administering the timeout I quickly got the coach's attention and got him back in his huddle. I must admit I read him the riot act about coming on the floor and using timeouts to berate officials instead of using them for the purpose they were designed -- to coach his kids.

He got on my partner some after that, but I clearly scared him out of saying anything to me. Good thing or bad thing, I'm not sure. I just wish my partner would've raised his hands once the entire night -- foul or violation he only blew his whistle. I mentioned this at halftime, but I just don't think it registered. Thank goodness I'm not new anymore.

In a higher level game, there would've been a technical foul. I will simply assume that the coach just didn't know any better this time. Maybe there should've been a technical this time, too, but I just didn't think it would help.

Back to varsity next. Won't have to worry about such things, I hope.

Rich
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Rich

Welcome to WI!

I also have experienced "coaches" in MS level that are parents who volunteered and have not taken (been afforded) the opportunity to obtain or read a rulebook (current or past).

Just last night, in 7th Grade game, I called an elbow violation. It was a textbook situation for the call and the coach's reaction almost earned him a "T", "How can you make that call!" Had this game been HS level, he would have had it. My partner, who is also a Varsity official, gave the coach an impromptu lesson on the new POA.

My point is... I did not want to penalize the players for the coach's ignorance, especially knowing how difficult it is to get volunteers to work with the kids. (However, the "quality" of this volunteer was questionable on several occassions.)
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 09:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Is elbowing a problem?

You are the first person I've heard that's called the violation.

I'm interested in seeing if this really happens as much as the FED thinks.

Rich
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Is elbowing a problem?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
You are the first person I've heard that's called the violation.

I'm interested in seeing if this really happens as much as the FED thinks.

Rich
I've called it a couple of times so far. I like it a lot better. As I have sized up my own thought process, I see that I really had been no-calling it because it seemed so extreme. Now it's a lot easier.

The only problem I see is that since no one was calling it before, it looks like we're clamping down, not letting up. It's getting called more, so more players and coaches are coming face to face with the illegality of the move. They didn't used to even know it was illegal. But this seems like a small price to pay to get control.