The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I have been working on "coach management" the last few weeks, feeling like this has been a weak spot of mine. I think I shared here what a disaster it was when I tried a line that one of you used with success: "That's a coaching issue." WHen I said it to a coach, some dads heard it and started razzing the coach about how I'd put the coach in his place. That was not my intent at all!! But the rest of the game was just plain awful. (PS I have this coach again next Thrusday. I wonder if he'll remember like I will...)

Anyway, what I've been trying to do is to let coaches know that I hear them, but without getting into any discussions. If they ask a question, I try to answer succinctly, but if they're just "giving advice" such as "watch the key, ref" I've been saying only, "I'll watch it" or "Thankyou" When I say thank you, I try to have some instant or two of eye contact. These two phrases seem to be working pretty well.

I've said Thank You in several different tones of voice, usually quite dry. Tonight it turned kind of funny. I was trail, right by the coach, first half so his team was on defense. He starts in as soon as I get into position, "Watch number 52, he's in the key, he's still there, look he's stepping in again, three, four..." you get the idea. I turned my head slightly and said "Thank you." He keeps on, a little louder. I said, "Coach, I heard you." He says, "I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to him." I said, "Coach, he thanks you, too."

Not another peep, all night. And his team lost by about 10 in the last two minutes.

Maybe I'm starting to get the hang of this thing...

Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 11:49pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
... I turned my head slightly and said "Thank you." He keeps on, a little louder. I said, "Coach, I heard you." He says, "I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to him." I said, "Coach, he thanks you, too."

Not another peep, all night. And his team lost by about 10 in the last two minutes.

Maybe I'm starting to get the hang of this thing...

Jewel,
Very good!
mick
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 01:49am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Juulie - I thought you knew to tell the coach that when he counts, it confuses you and you have to start over.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

coaching story

had a game in daytona wed and the visiting coach can be quite volatile. he was getting on me about a block shot play and i responded, "i thought he got all ball coach." and he responded that the defender made body and i needed to call a body foul. he then pulled a denucci and gave me a resume saying that he had been around the game for yrs and has coached at the highest level. i responded, "coach i understand you have been around the game much longer than i, but i am young and learning more every game." after this the coach did not say much about the crew but seemed to feel at ease with us. any way the game became more enjoyable now that the coach was working the players instead of us.