The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

First Varsity Game

GV tonight. 3-man.

Made a few mechanical mistakes myself, but was told by the "best" of the three that I was not the worst of the three.

This game, however, was just like another JV game, really. Wasn't really good, home team could have easily killed the visitors but they just weren't making a lot of shots, especially FT attempts.

It was a good experience, I felt myself being very confident of myself by the second half, but have to work on being that before the game start. I was feeling ok before the game, not very nervous, but just not very confident. I can't wait for next year when I hope to get a few more Varsity games!

Thank you all for the tips you have given me these past few days. It was definitely worth it! I've waited 6 seasons for my first Varsity game and it feels great to finally reach the "manhood" of high school officiating!
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Thank you all for the tips you have given me these past few days. It was definitely worth it! I've waited 6 seasons for my first Varsity game and it feels great to finally reach the "adulthood" of high school officiating!
Fixed it for you.

It's great when your first varsity game goes well. The partner I had for my first varsity game (2-whistle) told me, "You never forget your first." And he was right!
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Fixed it for you.

It's great when your first varsity game goes well. The partner I had for my first varsity game (2-whistle) told me, "You never forget your first." And he was right!
Oh believe that... I will never forget this game haha.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've waited 6 seasons for my first Varsity game and it feels great to finally reach the "manhood" of high school officiating!
Quote:
Quote:
I've waited 6 seasons for my first Varsity game and it feels great to finally reach the "adulthood" of high school officiating!
Fixed it for you.
Seriously? I'm with on you 3-man vs. 3-person, but this is a bit silly. He's talking about a specific individual...who is a man...not a generic individual.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 01:07am.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Seriously? I'm with on you 3-man vs. 3-person, but this is a bit silly. He's talking about a specific individual...who is a man...not a generic individual.
He's saying that he, who is a specific individual, has reached a level of maturity, a generic level, the "manhood" level, or adulthood level. He didn't say he'd reached "HIS manhood of officiating" but "THE manhood of officiating." It's not that he has become a man, but that he has reached adulthood.

But I'm glad you've come around on 3-man vs 3-whistle. That's progress!
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

Congrats on reaching the MANHOOD of your first 3-PERSON varsity game
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 08:22am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Fixed it for you.
Juulie, I'm just happy he didn't call the weaker of his three-anthropoid crew a "plumber"!
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He's saying that he, who is a specific individual, has reached a level of maturity, a generic level, the "manhood" level, or adulthood level. He didn't say he'd reached "HIS manhood of officiating" but "THE manhood of officiating." It's not that he has become a man, but that he has reached adulthood.

But I'm glad you've come around on 3-man vs 3-whistle. That's progress!
It was probably just a girls game though
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 09:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
GV tonight. 3-man.

Made a few mechanical mistakes myself, but was told by the "best" of the three that I was not the worst of the three.

You really think you need to include this in your post?

This is just my opinion, but based on your posting history I feel you are too concerned with approval and praise from others concerning officiating. You mention a lot of times "I think we called a good game" and such.

Be more self-critical and reflect more on plays you had and your mechanics. Seek out criticism from observers and more experienced partners. I am actually disappointed when I don't receive at least 1 thing I "need to work on" when getting feedback from others.

Again, this is just my take on the situation. Congratulations on your first Varsity game. I still remember mine--GV, 2 person (partner was female D1 official).
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

It won't be long before someone who you worked with or worked for (coach or assignor) happens by this site and puts two and two together after reading your posts.

When that happens, kiss your officiating career goodbye.

I suggested earlier that you step aside for a while and learn not only the rules, but how to handle yourslef professionally both on and off (includes internet forums) the floor.

Don't want to see you screw things up..... however, you are on that very path right now....
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=BadNewsRef;656597]
Be more self-critical and reflect more on plays you had and your mechanics. Seek out criticism from observers and more experienced partners. I am actually disappointed when I don't receive at least 1 thing I "need to work on" when getting feedback from others.

QUOTE]

2nd year official...

I agree. My favorite feedback session this year was in a boys jv game, where the varsity crew after us included our board's interpreter (who also taught the "new officials" class). He had a notebook and had 2 pages of notes of what we needed to work on waiting for us afterwards in the "postgame". He was honest with the good and the "need to work on" stuff, which I really appreciated. I'd much rather have that instead of "yeah, you looked good". Someone at a camp once told me "whether we're in our first year or our 30th year, they're is always something we can learn".
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 10:01am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I only wish my experienced partners stopped at ONE thing I need to work on! I'm trying hard to improve and take all of their comments to heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I still remember mine--GV, 2 person (partner was female D1 official).
I remember mine too - two-person, small schools, smaller gym, and a 40+ point blowout.....I was so friggin nervous!
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I only wish my experienced partners stopped at ONE thing I need to work on! I'm trying hard to improve and take all of their comments to heart.
I think you can take the multiple comments and break them down over a series of games to actually work on them. Like a few of my notes from camp were applied over several games, focusing on really improving one or two things a game.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 10:43am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
I think you can take the multiple comments and break them down over a series of games to actually work on them. Like a few of my notes from camp were applied over several games, focusing on really improving one or two things a game.
Understand. My point was that I am relatively new to three-person mechanics and have a bit to work on to get where I need to/want to be.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Understand. My point was that I am relatively new to three-person mechanics and have a bit to work on to get where I need to/want to be.
Right I get that totally -- so what I'm saying (and I think you're getting hah) is don't overwhelm yourself trying to be perfect at everything every game.

One game focus on initiating rotations, next game focus on being aware of your partners rotations, next game really focus on what you're looking for in the lead position and what angles are working, next game really focus on the same for center, etc. IMO things come together a lot easier piece by piece instead of all at once having my brain explode lol.