The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   First Varsity Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56788-first-varsity-game.html)

representing Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:20am

First Varsity Game

GV tonight. 3-man.

Made a few mechanical mistakes myself, but was told by the "best" of the three that I was not the worst of the three.

This game, however, was just like another JV game, really. Wasn't really good, home team could have easily killed the visitors but they just weren't making a lot of shots, especially FT attempts.

It was a good experience, I felt myself being very confident of myself by the second half, but have to work on being that before the game start. I was feeling ok before the game, not very nervous, but just not very confident. I can't wait for next year when I hope to get a few more Varsity games!

Thank you all for the tips you have given me these past few days. It was definitely worth it! I've waited 6 seasons for my first Varsity game and it feels great to finally reach the "manhood" of high school officiating!

Juulie Downs Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 656548)
Thank you all for the tips you have given me these past few days. It was definitely worth it! I've waited 6 seasons for my first Varsity game and it feels great to finally reach the "adulthood" of high school officiating!

Fixed it for you.

It's great when your first varsity game goes well. The partner I had for my first varsity game (2-whistle) told me, "You never forget your first." And he was right!

representing Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 656550)
Fixed it for you.

It's great when your first varsity game goes well. The partner I had for my first varsity game (2-whistle) told me, "You never forget your first." And he was right!

Oh believe that... I will never forget this game haha.

Camron Rust Fri Jan 29, 2010 01:03am

Quote:

I've waited 6 seasons for my first Varsity game and it feels great to finally reach the "manhood" of high school officiating!

Quote:

Quote:

I've waited 6 seasons for my first Varsity game and it feels great to finally reach the "adulthood" of high school officiating!

Fixed it for you.

Seriously? I'm with on you 3-man vs. 3-person, but this is a bit silly. He's talking about a specific individual...who is a man...not a generic individual.

Juulie Downs Fri Jan 29, 2010 02:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 656559)
Seriously? I'm with on you 3-man vs. 3-person, but this is a bit silly. He's talking about a specific individual...who is a man...not a generic individual.

He's saying that he, who is a specific individual, has reached a level of maturity, a generic level, the "manhood" level, or adulthood level. He didn't say he'd reached "HIS manhood of officiating" but "THE manhood of officiating." It's not that he has become a man, but that he has reached adulthood.

But I'm glad you've come around on 3-man vs 3-whistle. That's progress!

canuckrefguy Fri Jan 29, 2010 03:00am

Congrats on reaching the MANHOOD of your first 3-PERSON varsity game :rolleyes:

Freddy Fri Jan 29, 2010 08:22am

Quote:

Fixed it for you.

Juulie, I'm just happy he didn't call the weaker of his three-anthropoid crew a "plumber"! :D

fullor30 Fri Jan 29, 2010 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 656565)
He's saying that he, who is a specific individual, has reached a level of maturity, a generic level, the "manhood" level, or adulthood level. He didn't say he'd reached "HIS manhood of officiating" but "THE manhood of officiating." It's not that he has become a man, but that he has reached adulthood.

But I'm glad you've come around on 3-man vs 3-whistle. That's progress!

It was probably just a girls game though:)

Raymond Fri Jan 29, 2010 09:23am

Quote:

GV tonight. 3-man.

Made a few mechanical mistakes myself, but was told by the "best" of the three that I was not the worst of the three.

You really think you need to include this in your post?

This is just my opinion, but based on your posting history I feel you are too concerned with approval and praise from others concerning officiating. You mention a lot of times "I think we called a good game" and such.

Be more self-critical and reflect more on plays you had and your mechanics. Seek out criticism from observers and more experienced partners. I am actually disappointed when I don't receive at least 1 thing I "need to work on" when getting feedback from others.

Again, this is just my take on the situation. Congratulations on your first Varsity game. I still remember mine--GV, 2 person (partner was female D1 official).

asdf Fri Jan 29, 2010 09:56am

It won't be long before someone who you worked with or worked for (coach or assignor) happens by this site and puts two and two together after reading your posts.

When that happens, kiss your officiating career goodbye.

I suggested earlier that you step aside for a while and learn not only the rules, but how to handle yourslef professionally both on and off (includes internet forums) the floor.

Don't want to see you screw things up..... however, you are on that very path right now....

vbzebra Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:00am

[QUOTE=BadNewsRef;656597]
Be more self-critical and reflect more on plays you had and your mechanics. Seek out criticism from observers and more experienced partners. I am actually disappointed when I don't receive at least 1 thing I "need to work on" when getting feedback from others.

QUOTE]

2nd year official...

I agree. My favorite feedback session this year was in a boys jv game, where the varsity crew after us included our board's interpreter (who also taught the "new officials" class). He had a notebook and had 2 pages of notes of what we needed to work on waiting for us afterwards in the "postgame". He was honest with the good and the "need to work on" stuff, which I really appreciated. I'd much rather have that instead of "yeah, you looked good". Someone at a camp once told me "whether we're in our first year or our 30th year, they're is always something we can learn".

grunewar Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:01am

Agreed

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 656597)

I only wish my experienced partners stopped at ONE thing I need to work on! I'm trying hard to improve and take all of their comments to heart.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 656597)
I still remember mine--GV, 2 person (partner was female D1 official).

I remember mine too - two-person, small schools, smaller gym, and a 40+ point blowout.....I was so friggin nervous!

bradfordwilkins Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 656621)
I only wish my experienced partners stopped at ONE thing I need to work on! I'm trying hard to improve and take all of their comments to heart.

I think you can take the multiple comments and break them down over a series of games to actually work on them. Like a few of my notes from camp were applied over several games, focusing on really improving one or two things a game.

grunewar Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins (Post 656640)
I think you can take the multiple comments and break them down over a series of games to actually work on them. Like a few of my notes from camp were applied over several games, focusing on really improving one or two things a game.

Understand. My point was that I am relatively new to three-person mechanics and have a bit to work on to get where I need to/want to be.

bradfordwilkins Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 656645)
Understand. My point was that I am relatively new to three-person mechanics and have a bit to work on to get where I need to/want to be.

Right I get that totally -- so what I'm saying (and I think you're getting hah) is don't overwhelm yourself trying to be perfect at everything every game.

One game focus on initiating rotations, next game focus on being aware of your partners rotations, next game really focus on what you're looking for in the lead position and what angles are working, next game really focus on the same for center, etc. IMO things come together a lot easier piece by piece instead of all at once having my brain explode lol.