The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Last evening I worked my first high school varsity game. I've been umpiring for summer ball for 3 years, did some jr. high games this past fall. However, most of the Jr. High and High School seasons, I'm a student at the university of Illinois without a car, so tough to umpire under those circumstances. I got a call about a month ago though from my old AD from high school who had a guy cancel on him and he needed someone to fill. It was after I finished up school so I said sure. Relatively uneventful 20-8 in 6 innings.

I've been reading as much as I can to try and keep my rules and mechanics knowledge fresh since i only get the opportunity to umpire 3 out of the 12 months of the year. Thanks very much for the insight and knowledge that you all have provided me. Hope all is going well for you all.

-J
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by U_of_I_Blue
Last evening I worked my first high school varsity game. I've been umpiring for summer ball for 3 years, did some jr. high games this past fall. However, most of the Jr. High and High School seasons, I'm a student at the university of Illinois without a car, so tough to umpire under those circumstances. I got a call about a month ago though from my old AD from high school who had a guy cancel on him and he needed someone to fill. It was after I finished up school so I said sure. Relatively uneventful 20-8 in 6 innings.

I've been reading as much as I can to try and keep my rules and mechanics knowledge fresh since i only get the opportunity to umpire 3 out of the 12 months of the year. Thanks very much for the insight and knowledge that you all have provided me. Hope all is going well for you all.

-J
It's not a bad job for a college student. Lack of car makes it hard. But it's better than bagging groceries and more fun. I don't know about Illinois but if you had car around here you could umpire 10 months out of the year. And then there is basketball, football, etc.
Old Sun May 15, 2005, 02:37am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Originally posted by U_of_I_Blue

-J
It's not a bad job for a college student. Lack of car makes it hard. But it's better than bagging groceries and more fun. I don't know about Illinois but if you had car around here you could umpire 10 months out of the year. And then there is basketball, football, etc.
Congrats U_of_I_Blue!!! Around here if you wanted to you can work a solid 6 months of baseball. That includes high school and summer league and if you are lucky you can add another two/three months on that with fall baseball.
Old Sun May 15, 2005, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

largeone-

How's the recovery coming on that surgery. I hope all is well with that and that you'll be back out on the diamond come this summer. I still need to get in touch with the league organizers I work for and find out when they're wanting me to work. Good luck and best wishes on your continued recovery.

-J
Old Sun May 15, 2005, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59
Great job bud! I too am a college (freshman) umpire. I didn't do any high school games this year b/c i had ACL surgery in Dec, but i'm all ready to do some summer ball. I guess you can call umpiring my summer "job." Like DG said, it's a lot more fun than bagging groceries!
My son is a senior in college and his only JOB while he has been in school has been umpiring baseball games, recreation, AAU, and high school, and working recreation and intramural basketball and soccer. He graduates in December. He worked an AAU tournament last weekend, this weekend, and will work another next weekend.
Old Mon May 16, 2005, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59
see, i only get to umpire high school and summer ball because i also play college football. but during football season, i only have 2 things on my mind: football and school.
Playing college football is a job too. Hope you are on scholarship.