The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Tuesday night, my contract says I have a Jr High and JV boys game. I show up and do a JV Boys and Varsity Girls. Technically, that's my first varisty game ever, but these girls were not very good, so I really didn't count it.

But, the varsity boys played the next game (the first game started at 4:15) and one official didn't show up. I stick around and get my first real varsity game! I missed an easy basket interference call (haven't seen many of those in elem and Jr.Hi.), but my P covered for me. It went well, and I learned a lot from a good P. Of course, my legs were still achin' when I did a couple of 8th grade boys games last night. Today, I'm still draggin'...
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 08:23am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Congratulation.

Quote:
Originally posted by bard

But, the varsity boys played the next game (the first game started at 4:15) and one official didn't show up. I stick around and get my first real varsity game! I missed an easy basket interference call (haven't seen many of those in elem and Jr.Hi.), but my P covered for me. It went well, and I learned a lot from a good P. Of course, my legs were still achin' when I did a couple of 8th grade boys games last night. Today, I'm still draggin'...
bard,
Did you feel up to the challenge?
Even though you were tired, I am guessing the adrenalin you had for working Varsity boys kept you focused.
Nice goin'!
mick

Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tuesday night, my contract says I have a Jr High and JV boys game. I show up and do a JV Boys and Varsity Girls. Technically, that's my first varisty game ever, but these girls were not very good, so I really didn't count it.

You just insulted the 456,169 that play high school girls' basketball (source: NFHS.org) and the approximately 40,000 coaches, including me.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Coach, I do agree that he shouldn't have said it quite like that, I would say it counts as a varsity game because it was a varsity game. However, I don't think he was pulling any punches towards girls in general, just these particular girls. As officials, when a girls game is ugly it is fugly, I watched one last night, very good officials working it but it is impossible to look sharp in a game like that.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Dear Penn Coach,
When your team plays a very weak opponent how intense do you get? Do you take it easy on the sideline when your team is up by 40 and the official misses a call or do you complain like it was a tie game? I'm sure your team has its rivals and its share of fierce battles too. These are probably the big games for your team and if you are honest you will admit that you treat them differently. Everyone does this.
Ever started your third string or played your JVs against somebody you knew was over matched?
My point is that you aren't trying to insult these weak teams when you put in these players, you just know it is no big deal.
Similiarly, to this official this GV game was not a big deal. The teams didn't test his abilities. Notice he said "weak" girls teams, not just girls games in general.
Now many officials do consider the girls games to be lesser period. Do these girls practice just as long and hard as the boys? Does it hurt just the same when they lose a championship game? Sure. So, when I work their games I treat them with class and dignity. But can the best girls team in the league beat the worst boys team? No. Not in my neck of the woods, anyway.
So hopefully, you must realize that it is just not the same.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 09:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Quote:

You just insulted the 456,169 that play high school girls' basketball (source: NFHS.org) and the approximately 40,000 coaches, including me.
PA Coach,
I doubt that was the intent. That ain't bard's style.
But your point is taken.

Michigan has 717 participating schools in Girls' basketball and particpants number 20,821. It appears that some states are slackers.
mick
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

PA Coach,
But your point is taken.

Michigan has 717 participating schools in Girls' basketball and particpants number 20,821. It appears that some states are slackers.
mick
I'll concede maybe I was a little defensive on this one.

As for the schools and participants, that info is on http://www.nfhs.org as well. Looks like you edged us in Michigan, in PA: 640 and 19,200. Our state association says there are 647 girls' teams, and that doesn't include the 60 or so Philly schools that aren't in the state association yet. First is Texas, then California, then Michigan and PA. How many classes do you have in Michigan? We have 4. I know Arizona has 5, and they only have 200 schools. State championships for everybody!
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 11:14am
In Memoriam

A,B,C,D

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

PA Coach,
But your point is taken.

mick
I'll concede maybe I was a little defensive on this one.

As for the schools and participants, that info is on http://www.nfhs.org as well. Looks like you edged us in Michigan, in PA: 640 and 19,200. Our state association says there are 647 girls' teams, and that doesn't include the 60 or so Philly schools that aren't in the state association yet. First is Texas, then California, then Michigan and PA. How many classes do you have in Michigan? We have 4. I know Arizona has 5, and they only have 200 schools. State championships for everybody!
PA Coach,
We have four classes in the basketball tournaments.
Each year the enrollment is tallied and the participating schools are separated into the four classes with roughly 25% of the schools in each division.
In Football, we have eight divisions so that there are more participating teams, and so that we may, also, have lots of champions.
mick

Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Apologies, PA Coach!!!

I worded that part of my post very poorly, PA Coach, and I apologize!

These two particular teams were not very skilled. (The winning team in this blowout did not win any games last year.) From the skill and speed level, it was more like a 7th grade game. The losing team was rarely able to get ball into the paint.

I'm not casting any aspersions on girls basketball. I enjoy working girls games, and I thoroughly appreciate the time and effort of the girls and their coaches! You may also be assured that all of the participants in this game got as much hustle and effort out of me as did the participants in the boys varsity game.

No offense was intended, PA Coach. I hope you'll forgive my early morning, poorly chosen wording!

--bard
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Apologies, PA Coach!!!

Quote:

No offense was intended, PA Coach. I hope you'll forgive my early morning, poorly chosen wording!

--bard
Completely forgiven. I was being a little thin-skinned. Sorry about that.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

I worded that part of my post very poorly, PA Coach, and I apologize!

Completely forgiven. I was being a little thin-skinned. Sorry about that.

Geez guys, knock it off. I'm getting all teared-up. Are the two of you available to settle a little disagreement between Palestine and Israel?

Z

Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Geez guys, knock it off. I'm getting all teared-up. Are the two of you available to settle a little disagreement between Palestine and Israel?

Yup. If you can get them to agree to settle it on a basketball court according to NFHS rules!