The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

1 player

In last night's game Team A started the game with 5 players and ended with one. The were leading all the way through the game. Question: When is the game over while you have only 1 player remaining even though the team is winning ?
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
It's my understanding that as long as the officials consider a team has a chance to win the game, they may continue play with only one player. Never actually seen it with any less than 4 players though.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
It's my understanding that as long as the officials consider a team has a chance to win the game, they may continue play with only one player. Never actually seen it with any less than 4 players though.
Correct. Don't have rule reference but I do remember reading this recently when someone asked me about this situation.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
In school and don't have my books handy, otherwise I would pull up a citation for you. Perhaps some esteemed member of the forum could help you out?
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 04:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP View Post
When is the game over while you have only 1 player remaining even though the team is winning ?
It isn't over if the team is winning. It's only over when the referee feels that the team does not have a chance to win the game.

NFHS rule 3-1NOTE
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
With one, I'd let them continue for at least as long as they maintained a lead. More than likey, the team with a full squad would be chipping away at the lead. If they take the lead by a 5-10 points and start pulling away with no hint that the team with was going to be able to reverse the trend, game over.

I've finished a game wth a team having only 2 left....both with 4 fouls and the lead. They won.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:24pm
This IS My Social Life

How's That Again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
With one, I'd let them continue for at least as long as they maintained a lead. . . .
. . . or needed to inbound the ball after an opponent's score, which one player would not legally be allow to do, correct?

3-1-1 NOTE: When there is only one player participating for a team, the team shall forfeit the game, unless the referee believes that team has an opportunity to win the game.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:30pm
This IS My Social Life

No, Freddy is Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
. . . or needed to inbound the ball after an opponent's score, which one player would not legally be allow to do, correct?

3-1-1 NOTE: When there is only one player participating for a team, the team shall forfeit the game, unless the referee believes that team has an opportunity to win the game.
The single player could inbound the ball to an opponent, then steal the ball from the opponent and score. If this is repeated time after time after time, I guess a single player COULD win a game all by his lonesome.
Let's see this one on YouTube.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:32pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I've actually thought about this....

One scenario I would let them play on would be a 5-7 point lead with 15 or so seconds left.

If the inbounder throws the ball a long way down the court and runs after it and forces the other team to get it (before it goes out) and go the entire length of the court to score - several times, it could eat up the clock and the team with one could still win.

The inbounder could also throw the ball off a defender and then recover it and try his best to play keep away.

Thoughts? Others?
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1)Keep taking a 5 second count and then play really, really good defense.

2)try and bounce it off defense if they are stoopid enough to contest throwin.

3) throw in, foul, and hope for rebound on free throws
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

Would this be cool or what? Team A down to one player. Team B up by one point with two seconds left. A5 to inbound on a spot throw-in. B1 reaches across the plane and hits the ball in A5's hands. Technical called. A5 hits both free throws. A5 then inbounds by throwing the ball off B1's leg and the clock runs out as team A wins the game.

OK - it's probably never happened but it would make a great video.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:51pm
This IS My Social Life

Then Again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Wouldn't his team need a defensive player in each of the lower two blocks along the freethrow lane?

8-1-4C The first marked lane spaces on each side of the lane, above and adjacent to the neutral-zone marks, shall be occupied by opponents of the free thrower.

This one-player team seems to be spiraling down the drain toward a loss!
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post

This seems like the best solution.

So are you going to tell us how the 1 player handled it in the game?!?!
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 06:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Wouldn't his team need a defensive player in each of the lower two blocks along the freethrow lane?
That's an excellent question. We're not supposed to allow a free throw until the non-shooting team occupies both of the lower blocks.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 06:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

8-1-4C The first marked lane spaces on each side of the lane, above and adjacent to the neutral-zone marks, shall be occupied by opponents of the free thrower.

This one-player team seems to be spiraling down the drain toward a loss!
Already covered by rule. If a team only has one player left, it's not a violation to only fill one spot on a FT.

And yes, I'll look it up when I get a minute.

Got it....

See Situation #2 of the 2003-04 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations...

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...s-archive.html

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Jan 28, 2010 at 06:31pm. Reason: to add rules citation