The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 01:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Exclamation OMG - two firsts in the same week!

Last night - 7th grade boys. A1 at the line to shoot one. He dribbles, holds the ball, dribbles, holds the ball, looks at the hoop, dribbles, etc. My partner, who is trail, is not counting as usual and it seems to me the kid took at least 15 seconds before shooting. At the break, my partner and I discuss it and we agree if he does it again, we'll say something to him.

Of course, in the next quarter, it happens again. This time I am trail. I tell him he needs to shoot the ball within 10 seconds of receiving the ball. He nods. At halftime, my partner mentions it to his coach. The coach says he'll talk to the kid, too.

Yup, you guessed it. Beginning of Q4, he's at the line again and doing the same thing. I'm trail and this time I'm doing a visible count. I get to 10 and he's still dribbling. I slowly blow my whistle and announce a 10 second violation. It was the first of a one and one and his team loses the ball.

Not only was there no comment to us from that coach, but the coach actually yelled, "Taylor (the kid's name) - we talked about this and you promised me you knew how to count to 10!"

That brought out a good laugh.

I thought back over the past 100 years (which was a real struggle) and can't remember ever calling this before.
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 302
Nice. That one is on my list of "weird calls we never have to make, but I have" list. I've never even been close. I'm a little jealous to be honest.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 241
Unfortunately, I called this in a girl's middle school tournament game a few years back. Do you actually need 15 seconds to shoot a friggin free throw??? Funny thing is (in the games since then I have officiated) no player has come even close to 10 seconds ....maybe it happens every 10 years like the Perfect Storm. LOL!
__________________
Da Official
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 109
I had one that Ive never had before last night in a GV game:

Team A spot throw in, 1-2-3-4-5, tweet, 5 second violation,
Team B spot throw in, 1-2-3-4-5, tweet, 5 second violation,
Team A spot throw in, 1-2-3-4-5, tweet, 5 second violation,
Team B spot throw in, 1-2-3-4.... finally the ball gets released and we move on!

I thought I was going to stuck in that spot (right in front of the cheerleaders, mind you) all night!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 302
Now that I think about it, we had a first in our varsity game the other night. Opening tip, Home gets the ball. 1 quick pass, shot...ball wedged in between the rim and backboard. Never had that right off the bat before. Easy to administer, but just something you don't see often.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 03:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
Now that I think about it, we had a first in our varsity game the other night. Opening tip, Home gets the ball. 1 quick pass, shot...ball wedged in between the rim and backboard. Never had that right off the bat before. Easy to administer, but just something you don't see often.
I had a wedgie on a free throw in a game last week.
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 375
Dang it Mark! You beat me again! I've never called that! Never told somebody my name is Pat McCrotch either!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 04:18pm
Go Blue
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I had a wedgie on a free throw in a game last week.
So did I. Also in same game, I had a girl took all of 10 seconds the shoot a FT
(11 count as she shot the first time). Mentioned it to the coach first chance we got, did not have a problem after.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 12,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I had a wedgie on a free throw in a game last week.
Hopefully no one saw it and we can go for another decade without anyone see one.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 04:50pm
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,643
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
On a few occasions at the lower levels I've had a player or two come verrrry close to the infamous "10 seconds." I usually say something to the coach too as I don't want to be the one to throw off the kids concentration and rhythm and make him panic at the line.
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 375
Top this wedgie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I had a wedgie on a free throw in a game last week.
Ever seen this? Player shoots a three from the left corner of the court and the ball wedges on the FAR side of the rim! Only seen that once and last year the ball on a shot bobbled around and came to rest on the flange.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Last night - 7th grade boys. A1 at the line to shoot one. He dribbles, holds the ball, dribbles, holds the ball, looks at the hoop, dribbles, etc. My partner, who is trail, is not counting as usual and it seems to me the kid took at least 15 seconds before shooting. At the break, my partner and I discuss it and we agree if he does it again, we'll say something to him.

Of course, in the next quarter, it happens again. This time I am trail. I tell him he needs to shoot the ball within 10 seconds of receiving the ball. He nods. At halftime, my partner mentions it to his coach. The coach says he'll talk to the kid, too.

Yup, you guessed it. Beginning of Q4, he's at the line again and doing the same thing. I'm trail and this time I'm doing a visible count. I get to 10 and he's still dribbling. I slowly blow my whistle and announce a 10 second violation. It was the first of a one and one and his team loses the ball.

Not only was there no comment to us from that coach, but the coach actually yelled, "Taylor (the kid's name) - we talked about this and you promised me you knew how to count to 10!"

That brought out a good laugh.

I thought back over the past 100 years (which was a real struggle) and can't remember ever calling this before.
I'm trying to think. If we are shooting 2 FTs and we have a 10 sec violation on the first, do we still shoot the second? I would think so, like a lane violation by shooting team.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wasilla Ak
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Ever seen this? Player shoots a three from the left corner of the court and the ball wedges on the FAR side of the rim! Only seen that once and last year the ball on a shot bobbled around and came to rest on the flange.
Had a girl shoot a freethrow, the ball hits the front of the rim and then lodges between the rim and backboard. I didn't know that was possible.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:53pm
Aleve Titles to Others
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Westchester of the Southern Conference
Posts: 5,386
Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I had a wedgie on a free throw in a game last week.
Were you playing for the Washington Generals?
__________________
Never hit a piņata if you see hornets flying out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 01:52am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,729
Working 2-person GV tonight, I was the U.

Ball goes up and gets tipped by home to the floor and then off a visitor's fingertips, off of a home player's fingertips and out of bounds.

Without hesitation, I signaled the out of bounds violation and made sure the arrow was set properly. Nobody said a word. It was quite odd, though.

Quiet night except when the V coach wanted to use a timeout after a made basket and waited too long to request one -- the H player already had the ball in her possession out of bounds and was running the endline looking for someone to throw the ball to. All this time, the V coach is screaming for a timeout. After a foul, the coach "reminds" me that he can have a timeout until the ball is thrown in. When I told him that this simply isn't the rule, he accused me of arguing with him. I learned my lesson and stayed away from him the rest of the night.

28 down, 24 to go.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
more firsts just another ref Basketball 26 Sun Feb 08, 2009 05:08pm
A Week Of Firsts ... BillyMac Basketball 5 Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:29pm
Two firsts Rich Football 10 Sun Sep 23, 2007 02:13pm
From Playoffs to 8U - a week of firsts tcblue13 Softball 0 Sat May 13, 2006 09:35am
Week of Firsts cowbyfan1 Baseball 13 Wed Apr 28, 2004 06:45pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1