The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 01:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation OMG - two firsts in the same week!

Last night - 7th grade boys. A1 at the line to shoot one. He dribbles, holds the ball, dribbles, holds the ball, looks at the hoop, dribbles, etc. My partner, who is trail, is not counting as usual and it seems to me the kid took at least 15 seconds before shooting. At the break, my partner and I discuss it and we agree if he does it again, we'll say something to him.

Of course, in the next quarter, it happens again. This time I am trail. I tell him he needs to shoot the ball within 10 seconds of receiving the ball. He nods. At halftime, my partner mentions it to his coach. The coach says he'll talk to the kid, too.

Yup, you guessed it. Beginning of Q4, he's at the line again and doing the same thing. I'm trail and this time I'm doing a visible count. I get to 10 and he's still dribbling. I slowly blow my whistle and announce a 10 second violation. It was the first of a one and one and his team loses the ball.

Not only was there no comment to us from that coach, but the coach actually yelled, "Taylor (the kid's name) - we talked about this and you promised me you knew how to count to 10!"

That brought out a good laugh.

I thought back over the past 100 years (which was a real struggle) and can't remember ever calling this before.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Nice. That one is on my list of "weird calls we never have to make, but I have" list. I've never even been close. I'm a little jealous to be honest.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, I called this in a girl's middle school tournament game a few years back. Do you actually need 15 seconds to shoot a friggin free throw??? Funny thing is (in the games since then I have officiated) no player has come even close to 10 seconds ....maybe it happens every 10 years like the Perfect Storm. LOL!
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

I had one that Ive never had before last night in a GV game:

Team A spot throw in, 1-2-3-4-5, tweet, 5 second violation,
Team B spot throw in, 1-2-3-4-5, tweet, 5 second violation,
Team A spot throw in, 1-2-3-4-5, tweet, 5 second violation,
Team B spot throw in, 1-2-3-4.... finally the ball gets released and we move on!

I thought I was going to stuck in that spot (right in front of the cheerleaders, mind you) all night!
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Now that I think about it, we had a first in our varsity game the other night. Opening tip, Home gets the ball. 1 quick pass, shot...ball wedged in between the rim and backboard. Never had that right off the bat before. Easy to administer, but just something you don't see often.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 03:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
Now that I think about it, we had a first in our varsity game the other night. Opening tip, Home gets the ball. 1 quick pass, shot...ball wedged in between the rim and backboard. Never had that right off the bat before. Easy to administer, but just something you don't see often.
I had a wedgie on a free throw in a game last week.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Dang it Mark! You beat me again! I've never called that! Never told somebody my name is Pat McCrotch either!
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 04:18pm
Go Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
So did I. Also in same game, I had a girl took all of 10 seconds the shoot a FT
(11 count as she shot the first time). Mentioned it to the coach first chance we got, did not have a problem after.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hopefully no one saw it and we can go for another decade without anyone see one.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 04:50pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
On a few occasions at the lower levels I've had a player or two come verrrry close to the infamous "10 seconds." I usually say something to the coach too as I don't want to be the one to throw off the kids concentration and rhythm and make him panic at the line.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Top this wedgie!

Quote:
Ever seen this? Player shoots a three from the left corner of the court and the ball wedges on the FAR side of the rim! Only seen that once and last year the ball on a shot bobbled around and came to rest on the flange.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Last night - 7th grade boys. A1 at the line to shoot one. He dribbles, holds the ball, dribbles, holds the ball, looks at the hoop, dribbles, etc. My partner, who is trail, is not counting as usual and it seems to me the kid took at least 15 seconds before shooting. At the break, my partner and I discuss it and we agree if he does it again, we'll say something to him.

Of course, in the next quarter, it happens again. This time I am trail. I tell him he needs to shoot the ball within 10 seconds of receiving the ball. He nods. At halftime, my partner mentions it to his coach. The coach says he'll talk to the kid, too.

Yup, you guessed it. Beginning of Q4, he's at the line again and doing the same thing. I'm trail and this time I'm doing a visible count. I get to 10 and he's still dribbling. I slowly blow my whistle and announce a 10 second violation. It was the first of a one and one and his team loses the ball.

Not only was there no comment to us from that coach, but the coach actually yelled, "Taylor (the kid's name) - we talked about this and you promised me you knew how to count to 10!"

That brought out a good laugh.

I thought back over the past 100 years (which was a real struggle) and can't remember ever calling this before.
I'm trying to think. If we are shooting 2 FTs and we have a 10 sec violation on the first, do we still shoot the second? I would think so, like a lane violation by shooting team.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Ever seen this? Player shoots a three from the left corner of the court and the ball wedges on the FAR side of the rim! Only seen that once and last year the ball on a shot bobbled around and came to rest on the flange.
Had a girl shoot a freethrow, the ball hits the front of the rim and then lodges between the rim and backboard. I didn't know that was possible.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:53pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Were you playing for the Washington Generals?
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 01:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Working 2-person GV tonight, I was the U.

Ball goes up and gets tipped by home to the floor and then off a visitor's fingertips, off of a home player's fingertips and out of bounds.

Without hesitation, I signaled the out of bounds violation and made sure the arrow was set properly. Nobody said a word. It was quite odd, though.

Quiet night except when the V coach wanted to use a timeout after a made basket and waited too long to request one -- the H player already had the ball in her possession out of bounds and was running the endline looking for someone to throw the ball to. All this time, the V coach is screaming for a timeout. After a foul, the coach "reminds" me that he can have a timeout until the ball is thrown in. When I told him that this simply isn't the rule, he accused me of arguing with him. I learned my lesson and stayed away from him the rest of the night.

28 down, 24 to go.