The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 22, 2007, 10:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Two firsts

Moved to Wisconsin in 2002 - this is my sixth football season here. Started a varsity crew in 2004 and have worked every Friday night since then.

Last Thursday, I had my first overtime game in Wisconsin (it was a JV game and each team ran 2 plays from scrimmage -- home team missed the try, visitors converted on the third attempt after 2 encroachment penalties).

Last night I had my first game delayed (for about 1:25) due to lightning. I pulled the teams off right at the end of the first quarter when I noticed thunder 8-10 seconds after a lightning flash. There had been light in the distant sky, but this was the first thunder I had heard. By the time we got near the school, we had a torrential downpour.

During the delay we sat in a lounge and watched the Brewers games (and I searched for the score of the Phillies, who I've followed since childhood).

We played the rest of the game in a driving rain, although it stopped entirely with about 4 minutes left in the game.

The key play/penalty was an illegal low block on the right guard who cut the linebacker. The team was in the shotgun formation and it was clearly a foul. Both the umpire and I flagged it and it turned a first down into 2nd and 25. The kid that fouled clearly needs work. He was flagged for 3 false starts for rocking back before the snap, one right after I talked to him.

But the visiting team didn't know how to manage the clock or wanted to "run it up" and decided to run the ball with 1:25 instead of taking 3 knees and going to the house (home had no time outs remaining). Of course, V scores a TD on the first play from scrimmage, which made the score 17-6, but gave life to the home team with 1:15 left. Quick TD and an onside kick recovery and they had a shot, whereas with 3 knees the game would've been over. Didn't happen, game ended 17-6.

Even after a night's sleep, I still feel like a drowned rat.

Last edited by Rich; Sat Sep 22, 2007 at 10:28am.
Old Sat Sep 22, 2007, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN

The key penalty was an illegal low block on the right guard who cut the charging linebacker. The team was in the shotgun formation and it was clearly a foul. Both the umpire and I flagged it and it turned a first down into 2nd and 25.
Just remember, they probably did not need to be in shotgun formation for the BBW to be called cuz the only way they can BBW on a linebacker is if he was blitzing and on the LOS at the snap.

We have had a BBW on a LB in both of our last 2 games.
Old Sat Sep 22, 2007, 10:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Just remember, they probably did not need to be in shotgun formation for the BBW to be called cuz the only way they can BBW on a linebacker is if he was blitzing and on the LOS at the snap.

We have had a BBW on a LB in both of our last 2 games.
Sure, but the shotgun formation makes it a no brainer to even the densest of coaches.
Old Sat Sep 22, 2007, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

True. Saying the BBW was against a LB makes it easier also.
Old Sat Sep 22, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There had been light in the distant sky, but this was the first thunder I had heard.
If you can see the lightning it is close enough to hit you.
Old Sat Sep 22, 2007, 01:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
If you can see the lightning it is close enough to hit you.
Whatever. We didn't see lightning bolts, we saw flashes of light way in the distance. I stopped the game at the right time and everyone agreed with the timing of the decision.
Old Sun Sep 23, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Last Thursday, I had my first overtime game in Wisconsin (it was a JV game and each team ran 2 plays from scrimmage -- home team missed the try, visitors converted on the third attempt after 2 encroachment penalties).

Last night I had my first game delayed (for about 1:25) due to lightning. I pulled the teams off right at the end of the first quarter when I noticed thunder 8-10 seconds after a lightning flash. There had been light in the distant sky, but this was the first thunder I had heard. By the time we got near the school, we had a torrential downpour.
Was this in an urban area where the school didn't have any land available for a field next to it? How far away was the field?
Old Sun Sep 23, 2007, 01:36pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Let me go get my personal post-game report...

...from my NCAA game yesterday.

This is completely true.

High winds at game time. Coin toss, visitors choose HEADS. Coin comes up TAILS. Home chooses to DEFER. Ok, so far. (I'm experiencing that more and more teams are deferring to the 2nd half lately.) Visitors choose to defend to north END. Home chooses to KICK!

No kidding! We all couldn't believe it. I have no memory of being involved with a situation like that before.

2nd half: home chooses to RECEIVE. They kinda took the fun away by not choosing to kick.
Old Sun Sep 23, 2007, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
...from my NCAA game yesterday.

This is completely true.

High winds at game time. Coin toss, visitors choose HEADS. Coin comes up TAILS. Home chooses to DEFER. Ok, so far. (I'm experiencing that more and more teams are deferring to the 2nd half lately.) Visitors choose to defend to north END. Home chooses to KICK!

No kidding! We all couldn't believe it. I have no memory of being involved with a situation like that before.
Presumably an effect of the spot's being changed to the K30, knowing they no longer need fear giving up a dreaded touchback.
Old Sun Sep 23, 2007, 01:47pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
Presumably an effect of the spot's being changed to the K30, knowing they no longer need fear giving up a dreaded touchback.
Funny also is that we have a ruling (for some situations) that gives B the ball at their 20, but we don't call it a touchback. We call it, "B's ball at their 20."
Old Sun Sep 23, 2007, 02:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
Was this in an urban area where the school didn't have any land available for a field next to it? How far away was the field?
No, we had to walk to the school through a pretty big parking lot. It was pouring as we left the field.