The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Friend's situation last night

My buddy had this situation last night in a BV game.

H1 is fouled by V1. H is in bonus, shooting 1-and-1. V's HC wants to sub in V6 for V1, and referee allows prior to first bonus shot.

After sub became legal player on court and before H1 takes first shot, table calls over my buddy to say that V6 is not in the book or has the wrong number on. He gave a Technical to V's bench.

H1 continues to make both 1-and-1. After H1's last made attempt, H's HC subs in H6 for H1 to shoot both Technical FTs. Can't remember if he made both or not.

This next part got me all confused. H's HC then wants to sub H1 back infor H6, who had just come in for H1. My buddy actually allowed it, saying it was a different dead ball situation after the Technical FTs. I told him he was wrong, citing 3-3-4. H1 came out during that dead ball and it remains as the same dead ball until H would get the ball at the center line and time would properly restart after a throw-in.

Then he asked me this question. What if H can't get the ball in after 5 seconds? Accordingly to 3-3-4, H1 still can't come in as clock never properly restarted.

Who's right and who's wrong, or are we both wrong to a certain point?
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
My buddy had this situation last night in a BV game.

H1 is fouled by V1. H is in bonus, shooting 1-and-1. V's HC wants to sub in V6 for V1, and referee allows prior to first bonus shot.

After sub became legal player on court and before H1 takes first shot, table calls over my buddy to say that V6 is not in the book or has the wrong number on. He gave a Technical to V's bench.

H1 continues to make both 1-and-1. After H1's last made attempt, H's HC subs in H6 for H1 to shoot both Technical FTs. Can't remember if he made both or not.

This next part got me all confused. H's HC then wants to sub H1 back infor H6, who had just come in for H1. My buddy actually allowed it, saying it was a different dead ball situation after the Technical FTs. I told him he was wrong, citing 3-3-4. H1 came out during that dead ball and it remains as the same dead ball until H would get the ball at the center line and time would properly restart after a throw-in.

Then he asked me this question. What if H can't get the ball in after 5 seconds? Accordingly to 3-3-4, H1 still can't come in as clock never properly restarted.

You're right that H1 can't come back in, but you're both wrong to think of it as "dead ball periods." As you point out in your last paragraph, the clock (properly) running is the only criterion.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are right, you have to sit a lick to play a tick, or something like that, however it has nothing to do with live/dead ball.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You're right that H1 can't come back in, but you're both wrong to think of it as "dead ball periods." As you point out in your last paragraph, the clock (properly) running is the only criterion.
it was the only way I could explain what I mean, but I know "dead ball periods" isn't an actual term.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Time has to come off the clock before H1 could re-enter the game.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

"Must sit a tick. Need not play a tick."
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
it was the only way I could explain what I mean, but I know "dead ball periods" isn't an actual term.
You're a ref, on a ref site and you chose the term "dead ball periods" even though how many times the ball becomes dead has nothing to do with the play? And we're supposed to know you know what you meant?
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 05:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You're a ref, on a ref site and you chose the term "dead ball periods" even though how many times the ball becomes dead has nothing to do with the play? And we're supposed to know you know what you meant?
{head spinning}
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 07:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Very Rare Indeed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
"Must sit a tick. Need not play a tick."
Rare exceptions when only five players available due to disqualification or injury.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hope he doesn't call Over The Back

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
Coaches request it to be called, I tell them "no such thing".
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 12:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
Quote:
Coaches request it to be called, I tell them "no such thing".
Honestly, I use it as my first clue that I don't need to listen to them that night. It only makes it harder to hear the timeout requests, though.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 08:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
You need to work on that then. This is an officiating site.