The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Friend's situation last night (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56754-friends-situation-last-night.html)

representing Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:53am

Friend's situation last night

My buddy had this situation last night in a BV game.

H1 is fouled by V1. H is in bonus, shooting 1-and-1. V's HC wants to sub in V6 for V1, and referee allows prior to first bonus shot.

After sub became legal player on court and before H1 takes first shot, table calls over my buddy to say that V6 is not in the book or has the wrong number on. He gave a Technical to V's bench.

H1 continues to make both 1-and-1. After H1's last made attempt, H's HC subs in H6 for H1 to shoot both Technical FTs. Can't remember if he made both or not.

This next part got me all confused. H's HC then wants to sub H1 back infor H6, who had just come in for H1. My buddy actually allowed it, saying it was a different dead ball situation after the Technical FTs. I told him he was wrong, citing 3-3-4. H1 came out during that dead ball and it remains as the same dead ball until H would get the ball at the center line and time would properly restart after a throw-in.

Then he asked me this question. What if H can't get the ball in after 5 seconds? Accordingly to 3-3-4, H1 still can't come in as clock never properly restarted.

Who's right and who's wrong, or are we both wrong to a certain point?

bob jenkins Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 655917)
My buddy had this situation last night in a BV game.

H1 is fouled by V1. H is in bonus, shooting 1-and-1. V's HC wants to sub in V6 for V1, and referee allows prior to first bonus shot.

After sub became legal player on court and before H1 takes first shot, table calls over my buddy to say that V6 is not in the book or has the wrong number on. He gave a Technical to V's bench.

H1 continues to make both 1-and-1. After H1's last made attempt, H's HC subs in H6 for H1 to shoot both Technical FTs. Can't remember if he made both or not.

This next part got me all confused. H's HC then wants to sub H1 back infor H6, who had just come in for H1. My buddy actually allowed it, saying it was a different dead ball situation after the Technical FTs. I told him he was wrong, citing 3-3-4. H1 came out during that dead ball and it remains as the same dead ball until H would get the ball at the center line and time would properly restart after a throw-in.

Then he asked me this question. What if H can't get the ball in after 5 seconds? Accordingly to 3-3-4, H1 still can't come in as clock never properly restarted.

You're right that H1 can't come back in, but you're both wrong to think of it as "dead ball periods." As you point out in your last paragraph, the clock (properly) running is the only criterion.

Indianaref Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 655917)

You are right, you have to sit a lick to play a tick, or something like that, however it has nothing to do with live/dead ball.

representing Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 655923)
You're right that H1 can't come back in, but you're both wrong to think of it as "dead ball periods." As you point out in your last paragraph, the clock (properly) running is the only criterion.

it was the only way I could explain what I mean, but I know "dead ball periods" isn't an actual term.

SAJ Wed Jan 27, 2010 01:09pm

Time has to come off the clock before H1 could re-enter the game.

mbyron Wed Jan 27, 2010 01:48pm

"Must sit a tick. Need not play a tick."

bob jenkins Wed Jan 27, 2010 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 655932)
it was the only way I could explain what I mean, but I know "dead ball periods" isn't an actual term.

You're a ref, on a ref site and you chose the term "dead ball periods" even though how many times the ball becomes dead has nothing to do with the play? And we're supposed to know you know what you meant?

Adam Wed Jan 27, 2010 05:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 656015)
You're a ref, on a ref site and you chose the term "dead ball periods" even though how many times the ball becomes dead has nothing to do with the play? And we're supposed to know you know what you meant?

{head spinning}

BillyMac Wed Jan 27, 2010 07:29pm

Very Rare Indeed ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 655984)
"Must sit a tick. Need not play a tick."

Rare exceptions when only five players available due to disqualification or injury.

Ignats75 Wed Jan 27, 2010 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 656015)

I hope he doesn't call Over The Back

representing Wed Jan 27, 2010 08:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignats75 (Post 656146)

Coaches request it to be called, I tell them "no such thing".

Adam Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignats75 (Post 656146)

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 656154)
Coaches request it to be called, I tell them "no such thing".

Honestly, I use it as my first clue that I don't need to listen to them that night. It only makes it harder to hear the timeout requests, though. :D

Raymond Thu Jan 28, 2010 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 655932)

You need to work on that then. This is an officiating site.