The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 09:45am
Go Blue

AD Calls Game

Hi, new here, been reading for a couple of weeks, great forum. This one is a bit wordy, but I hope I explained it enough.

I had a JVB game last night. Not a physical game. Fouls were 10-4 in favor of the H team in first half. V HC complaining about calling both ways, ect..., somewhat mouthy.

Third Q, uneventful, 7-8 fouls called, V coach quiet.

Early 4th, my partner who is lead calls an intentional foul and a break away,
V1 pushes H1 in back during the lay-up, H1 falls and twists his knee. My partner call for the IT right away. The V HC goes ballistic, saying V1 was going for the ball from below. I go and get ready to administer the free throws while my partner reports the foul and they attend H1 still on the floor. There was already a H sub at the table ready to come in before this happened. They then send to the table a second sub to replace the H1 who was injured. The V HC went ballistic on that saying he can't come in. At this point, I don't know why my partner didn't T him, I wish he had.

Fast forward to 2 minutes left in the game. Home team had a 16-20 point lead most of the game, 18 at this point. V doing a man-to-man press. In the BC near the division line. V2 reaches in and grabs H2 arm and I call a foul. H2 then swings his arm and catches V2 in the head. I start to go towards them to seperate them and call a T on H2. Before that happens, a couple of players from both teams come and start pushing each other. My partner comes over and we seperate the teams and send them back to their benches before any punches are thrown. During this time, V HC screaming "You have to call that" on the initial T. I tell the coach "I got it".
I don't know if the coach knew I meant that I have the T. We go to the table to sort things out and give T's to the right player. I am giving the V HC a T, but I want to sort the players out before I do that. Then the 2 HC start screaming at each other and before I get a chance to T the V HC, the AD behind the table says "This game in over, I'm calling it". I look at the AD and said are you sure and hes says yes. I inform the HC's the game is called by the AD. The V HC syas" What? Are they forfieting?" And the AD responded, "That's fine, put the W in your coloumn, I don't care, this game is over" (non league game). At that we left the floor.

Two mistakes I feel we made. One is not T'ing the V HC earlier. Should I have come accross the floor from the base line ti T the coach when my partner was right there?

Second is I think we left the floor before sorting out and reporting all the T's. We should have made sure they were in the book before we left.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 10:01am
Courageous When Prudent

I like that AD.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeguy View Post
The V HC went ballistic on that saying he can't come in. At this point, I don't know why my partner didn't T him, I wish he had.
If you observe the behavior and you think it warrants a T, don't pass it off as "I don't know why my partner didn't T him." Just take care of business and get it done yourself. It might actually help your partner for him to know you've got his back.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeguy View Post

Fast forward to 2 minutes left in the game. Home team had a 16-20 point lead most of the game, 18 at this point. V doing a man-to-man press. In the BC near the division line. V2 reaches in and grabs H2 arm and I call a foul. H2 then swings his arm and catches V2 in the head.
I wasn't there, but this reads like an ejection of H2. I agree, you should have handled the visiting coach earlier. If your partner won't sack up and do it, phone it in and get the coach. Letting him go made for a serious mess.

We've all had these games at some point in our career. It's no fun. I also applaud the AD for first of all being at a JV game and secondly for ending the game. At least you know they support sportsmanship. Has your assignor been in contact with you about this game? I'd definitely want to talk to my assignor after a mess like that.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

What a mess!

Does the AD have the power to forfeit a conference game? (I know OP said it wasn't a conference game) I've never heard of this, thought the officials had to make that call?
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

if the ad wants it

If I am officiating the game, and the AD wants to call it, I will be hard pressed not to oblige. I may try to talk them out of it, but I am going to defer to them, keeping in mind that if they call it, they take the L...Kudos to this AD
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Does the AD have the power to forfeit a conference game?

It depends on the conference. Either way, it's not our concern. Answer questions about what happened (just the facts, ma'am) if asked. Let the conference sort out any penalties (forfeit, sanction of the school or Ad, etc.)
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:43am
Huck Finn

If a coach is acting up, T him or her up no matter where you are. You can talk to your partner about it later. I think getting hit with an elbow around the head and shoulders is more than a T. That player should sit for the rest of the game.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:53am
Go Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
I wasn't there, but this reads like an ejection of H2.
The reach in foul was not hard, H2 picked up his dribble and V2 reached in and hooked his arm. The elbow was not intentional, I felt he was swinging the ball around and made contact with V2's head and knocked him down, there was no injury or blood and I felt ejecting H2 was too much. It was bang-whistle-bang play.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Does the AD have the power to forfeit a conference game? (I know OP said it wasn't a conference game) I've never heard of this, thought the officials had to make that call?
It's not varsity level either, so I don't think the AD call on this one should come into question.

If varsity, I'm an independent contractor for the school I'm contracted with. If they want to end the game, it's over.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Suggestion 1: as soon as you recognize coach is "somewhat mouthy," warn, then whack. No point letting him get out of control.

Suggestion 2: A blow to the face during a dead ball must be a flagrant T.

Suggestion 3: If the AD tells me my game is over, I'll make sure that both coaches understand that the AD has canceled the game. Then I'll leave the court immediately. (I can't imagine that ever happening around here, but who knows?) I'm not sticking around for the debates, announcements, etc.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 02:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Suggestion 2: A blow to the face during a dead ball must be a flagrant T.
Too absolute for me. I can see it not being a flagrant T. Pressure, whistle, elbow as the player is trying to clear the ball. Technical for dead ball contact, sure -- flagrant? HTBT.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Too absolute for me. I can see it not being a flagrant T. Pressure, whistle, elbow as the player is trying to clear the ball. Technical for dead ball contact, sure -- flagrant? HTBT.
Fair enough. I was envisioning a deliberate blow.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

If the AD wants to end the game and its clear that it will be ended, you want to officially SUSPEND the game -- go to the book and write in there "game suspended at x:xx left in y quarter." Then, they can sort it out later.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 02:30pm
Go Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
If the AD wants to end the game and its clear that it will be ended, you want to officially SUSPEND the game -- go to the book and write in there "game suspended at x:xx left in y quarter." Then, they can sort it out later.
Good suggestion