The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 12:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

We all know there are some rules that hardly ever get applied because the play they govern hardly ever happens. My point in this post is to remind everyone that they can happen at any time and you have to be aware of them. I know - because I had two in one game.

Opening tip, A1 catches ball after each jumper had tapped the ball but before it hit the ground or was touched by anyone else. This is that goofy call where team B gets the ball OOB due to the violation, but because, under NF rules, A1 established first possession by catching the ball, team B also gets the AP arrow. I had to explain this to both coaches and my partner.

Later, A1 has ball in backcourt. He passes to A2 who is standing with both feet barely in frontcourt while facing backwards toward A1. The ball hits A2 in the hands, bounces down and hits the division line, then is grabbed by A2 who hasn't moved his feet. I call over and back. Coach A explodes, tells me I "don't know the rule" (yeah, right) and throws his clipboard. T time.

In that same game, I also had an illegal substitution, a "wedgie" on the second free throw of a two shot foul (only the second time in my career I've seen a wedgie on a free throw) and a pass hitting a defensive player on the shoulder then bouncing into the basket.

And it wasn't even a full moon.

Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
We all know there are some rules that hardly ever get applied because the play they govern hardly ever happens. My point in this post is to remind everyone that they can happen at any time and you have to be aware of them. I know - because I had two in one game.

Opening tip, A1 catches ball after each jumper had tapped the ball but before it hit the ground or was touched by anyone else. This is that goofy call where team B gets the ball OOB due to the violation, but because, under NF rules, A1 established first possession by catching the ball, team B also gets the AP arrow. I had to explain this to both coaches and my partner.
I had this earlier this year. I don't think the coaches even noticed.

Quote:
Later, A1 has ball in backcourt. He passes to A2 who is standing with both feet barely in frontcourt while facing backwards toward A1. The ball hits A2 in the hands, bounces down and hits the division line, then is grabbed by A2 who hasn't moved his feet. I call over and back. Coach A explodes, tells me I "don't know the rule" (yeah, right) and throws his clipboard. T time.
He obviously doesn't know who you are!

Can anything good possibly come from a coach having a clipboard in his hand?

Quote:
In that same game, I also had an illegal substitution, a "wedgie" on the second free throw of a two shot foul (only the second time in my career I've seen a wedgie on a free throw) and a pass hitting a defensive player on the shoulder then bouncing into the basket.
I've only seen one FT wedgie, early last season but I haven't had the ball bouncing off the player play yet! I don't think any of our coaches know how to draw that one up!

Quote:
And it wasn't even a full moon.
No, but it's coming!
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 01:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
but I haven't had the ball bouncing off the player play yet! I don't think any of our coaches know how to draw that one up!

That reminds me of a "Davism" from last year. In one game, we had a play where A1 whipped a pass from the point toward A2 who was under the basket. Just as he did, B1 crossed the lane with his back to the pass. The ball smacked him in the back of the head and then went off the backboard into the basket. B1 was knocked down and had to leave the game.

I asked Dave what he thought of that and he said, "I think the next guy is going to have H-O-R-S!"

Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
....And it wasn't even a full moon.
No, but it is the REAL millenium, and maybe this means that Jesus is coming back!!
Old Tue Jan 16, 2001, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

A FT wedgie?
Old Tue Jan 16, 2001, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chels
A FT wedgie?

It took me awhile thinking about this also, but I believe he is referring to a free throw shot that wedges between the ring and the backboard. Sometimes some of our abbreviations are not as well known to everyone.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2001, 06:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Post one was a wedgie, one was a ?????

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmidt MJ
Quote:
Originally posted by chels
A FT wedgie?

It took me awhile thinking about this also, but I believe he is referring to a free throw shot that wedges between the ring and the backboard. Sometimes some of our abbreviations are not as well known to everyone.

Yes, that is correct. Actually, I thought it was pretty obvious - guess not.

As I said, it was only the second time I've ever seen one on a free throw. The first time was two years ago during a holiday tournament. Believe it or not (and I swear this is true), in the game right after it happened, we had a free throw that bounced up and down on the back of the ring about 15 times and came to rest there! It was the first shot of a two shot foul so it was just a miss.

Personal note to Juulie (rainmaker) - I did that game with your buddy Dan Gresham at Lakeridge High School in Lake Oswego. He can tell you it really happened.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Great call, Mark! I'd lay money that a higher percentage of officials than we'd care to acknowledge would NOT have called that a violation. And I'd bet 95+ percent of coaches would similarly be "outraged" at such a call. No substitute for knowing the rules, even though it sometimes means we get unjustly tarred and feathered.