The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Tough calls to end a game

The thread on Reinstating the force got me to thinking (could be dangerous)

As we all know or should know when the game ends it's OVER meaning do not hang around etc. Simply drop whatever baseballs you have left at home plate or give them to the Home coach (whatever the protocol is in your area).

Now we have a tough call to end the game.

Sitch: Score tied bottom of 7. 2 outs and R2. B1 singles to right and here comes R2 heading home.

F2 obstructs R2's path and you rule OBS which means Score the run and the game over.

I think it's a good bet that the Defensive manager is going to want an explanation.

As mentioned above our normal coarse of action when the game is over is to drop the baseballs greet our partner and head for the car.

Now the question?

Do you stand there and answer the coaches question?
If so how long are you going to explain it?
In addition since the game is over the coach could say those "choice words" so do you toss AFTER the game?

Bottom line: What is your protocol when the game does not end in the normal manner. It could be anything from a balk call, interference, FPSR to end the game etc.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 12:52pm

Do I stand there and answer the coaches question? Yes.

If so how long are you going to explain it? Very briefly, as I'm leaving.

Do I toss for choice words after the game? Absolutely, post-game ejections happen.

I'm not entertaining any lengthy discussions. If I make a judgment call which ends the game, that's the way it goes. If a rule interpretation is in question, I will give the coach the opportunity to protest the game before I walk out the gate.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

"Coach, your catcher obstructed the runner, run scores."

I kinda had this sitch (referenced in that other thread) on the D3K...the OC is trying to get animated whilst I am dropping baseballs on the plate and the teams are starting to line up for the hand-slaps.....I tried to explain the ruling in a few sentences, he calmed down after a few seconds, but assured me "I'll be looking this one up in the rulebook, Blue!" :^)

Last edited by LMan; Thu Jun 14, 2007 at 01:03pm.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Strangest end to the ball game I've ever been involved with:

Final of a baseball tournament with the whole speel: bottom of the last inning, score tied, two outs, bases loaded, full count to the batter and runners going on the pitch. For whatever reason the pitcher started his pitch and was about the throw the ball home when he suddenly stopped and turned to look at the runners running.

Both the PU and I immediately called the balk and instructed the runners to advance a base to end the game. As we're walking by the defensive coach, he says, "Even I would have got in your face if you didn't call a balk on that one!!".
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Tibear - where was that when I put out a call for funny coaches comments?!?!
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=SanDiegoSteve]Do I stand there and answer the coaches question?

yes QUOTE]

SDS

I'm not standing there. I'm heading for the gate. If the coach has any questions about the obstruction call I will briefly explain what I saw beginning the explanation with "In my judgment" as I'm continuing to exit the area.

All rules for a post-game ejection are still in effect.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 01:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000

SDS

I'm not standing there. I'm heading for the gate. If the coach has any questions about the obstruction call I will briefly explain what I saw beginning the explanation with "In my judgment" as I'm continuing to exit the area.

All rules for a post-game ejection are still in effect.
I misread the question, as my second answer indicates that I would briefly answer his question as I was leaving. I should have said "no" to question 1, as I would not stand there either, I would be a-walkin'.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Pete,

I know it's not the question you were asking, but i am curious to what happened on the obstruction call because i'm having a tough time picturing obstruction on the catcher when the ball is coming in... (unless it's LL).
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 08:55am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Pete,

I know it's not the question you were asking, but i am curious to what happened on the obstruction call because i'm having a tough time picturing obstruction on the catcher when the ball is coming in... (unless it's LL).
I'm sure you'd have to see it...but it can happened...kind of depends on where the ball is when is "coming in" at least that's how I would judge it when making an OBS call.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Pete,

Busman i was using that as an example: It could be any "tough" call in which the game ends and a coach wants an explanation

In my original example, Suppose F2 was "camped out' at the plate AND hindered the runner. The throw was not imminent nor did the throw take F2 to where he had to be to field the ball.

At the end of games where R2 is trying to score, F2 will sometimes if not most of the time try and "cheat" and block the base ahead of time to get that little "extra" by causing the runner to slow down.

The main point of my OP was:

If the game does end on a tought call, how long will you entertain questions from the coach or do you simply do as we normally do, drop the baseball and go home.

Another good example is R1/R3 FED rules 1 out. Perfect DP ball and r2 knows he needs to break up the DP and slides illegally into second base in which according to FED we ring up 2 and it's a game ender.

It's a pretty good bet the defensive coach is going to want an explanation

Pete Booth