The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 10:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I wasn't aware that there were any such situations. They always sit side-by-side or I don't let the game start.

(Well, that's not quite true. Once, the H scorer buzzed me to the table in the middle of the first quarter to point out that the V scorer wasn't sitting next to him. I made the scorers moved. Since it took a while, I gave the teams an officials time out.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What if the V coach doesn't want his/her scorer moved? They want their scorer close to their bench so they can communicate, then what?
Dammit, you got me Bob
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 01:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Kinda like nuclear bombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
For the past games, starting with the one that Rookiedude was an official, there's been an "X" taped to the floor. However, I've been observing that not all players are on it when they get called into the game.
If they're close, or on the way, it's close enough.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For the past games, starting with the one that Rookiedude was an official, there's been an "X" taped to the floor. However, I've been observing that not all players are on it when they get called into the game.
Then don't let them in. Especially if it's the visitors. They haven't PROPERLY reported.

Quote:
he mentioned that plans are in place to redo floor markings & that have an "X" in either purple or gold could be placed in front of the official scorer, instead of using the athletic tape like now.
That sounds good, but what if the scorer then doesn't sit right behind the "X" (or you move the scorer, or the officials decide to make the V book the official book)?

Since it needs to be redone anyway, I'd suggest a wooden "X" painted gold on one side and purple on the other. Then, cut "X"s into the floor all along the scorer's table and place the wooden insert into the appropriate slot on the floor. The others could be filled with the cutouts that match the floor. IT would look pretty sharp and give you the flexibility you need.

Get another appointment and suggest it before they begin the work.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

You are a bad boy Bob.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 09:17am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Nice!

Quote:
Since it needs to be redone anyway, I'd suggest a wooden "X" painted gold on one side and purple on the other. Then, cut "X"s into the floor all along the scorer's table and place the wooden insert into the appropriate slot on the floor. The others could be filled with the cutouts that match the floor. IT would look pretty sharp and give you the flexibility you need.
Me likey! Always helpful that Bob!
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then don't let them in. Especially if it's the visitors. They haven't PROPERLY reported.

That sounds good, but what if the scorer then doesn't sit right behind the "X" (or you move the scorer, or the officials decide to make the V book the official book)?

Get another appointment and suggest it before they begin the work.
For clarification right now, the taped "X", which was removed after Rookiedude's game, but was replaced the next game by CHSLadyEagle & I, is placed right at the center of the table. However, some players when they come in to sub, will stand/kneel at the edge of the table. The table is a portable table that's located so there's just enough room for a player to kneel/sit in front of it so they're OOB.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 01:48am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
For clarification right now, the taped "X", which was removed after Rookiedude's game, but was replaced the next game by CHSLadyEagle & I, is placed right at the center of the table.

The X is supposed to be on the floor.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 01:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Just had to keep this thread going, didn't you.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
AKA It's on the floor, in front of the scorer's table, center. All sarcasm & joking aside, it surprises me that those that are supposed to know the rules/regulations (coaches, ADs) don't seem to even want to adhere to the rules/regulations.

Like in the case of the official scorer being next to the home bench, instead of sitting in the middle of the table.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I found out (by browsing out of curiosity) that FIBA has the scorers' table set up basically the same exact way I have been setting it up lately. (Only difference is no Commissioner at the table).
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 02:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Like in the case of the official scorer being next to the home bench, instead of sitting in the middle of the table.
Dude, you've got to let this go. The two can talk to each other even if there's someone in between them. It's not that hard.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Dude, you've got to let this go. The two can talk to each other even if there's someone in between them. It's not that hard.
2 people between them (timer & shot clock), for the Sub-V games the scorebooks seem to only communicate if they didn't know who scored or who the foul was on. Other than that very tight-lipped.

Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 02:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
2 people between them (timer & shot clock), for the Sub-V games the scorebooks seem to only communicate if they didn't know who scored or who the foul was on. Other than that very tight-lipped.
One person, two people, doesn't matter; close enough to talk if they need and/or want to. Frankly, setting them next to one another isn't going to change a thing. Is it preferred? Sure, but it's not worth losing any sleep over.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who cares in sub-v games? Isn't there a timer/scorer message board you can go play on?
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As long as the scorer is close enough to change the arrow, then the scorer is close enough to the visitor scorer to communicate.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As long as the scorer is close enough to change the arrow, then the scorer is close enough to the visitor scorer to communicate.
Hence wherein lies the problem, the scorer for the Sub-V games, as long as I've been doing table operations, has never done AP at my alma mater. The only times at my alma mater where I've seen the scorer doing the AP has been during Varsity only.

Even during 4A Regionals last February, it was the timer that was doing the AP.