Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 03:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

There's no need to keep posting this.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
There's no need to keep posting this.
I wonder if he knows whether the scorer at JV-C games keeps track of the arrow?
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I wonder if he knows whether the scorer at JV-C games keeps track of the arrow?
Unfortunately, those that do the Sub-V books don't keep track of the arrow. I've only had one game this year where one of the books kept track of the AP, & that was last weekend, & it was the visitor's book.

I keep mentioning that the scorer is supposed to keep track of the AP, but it falls on deaf ears. Apparently neither the coaches nor the AD seem to want to follow rules/regulations.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Unfortunately, those that do the Sub-V books don't keep track of the arrow. I've only had one game this year where one of the books kept track of the AP, & that was last weekend, & it was the visitor's book.
If the V book keeps track, and the H book doesn't, is that allowed? Aren't the books supposed to compare everything? Do you have a reference for this?
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If the V book keeps track, and the H book doesn't, is that allowed? Aren't the books supposed to compare everything? Do you have a reference for this?
Rule 2-11-11, is that a good enough reference for you?

If the books are supposed to compare everything then why are some table setups done where the books aren't sitting side-by-side?

According to both Rule 2-11 & "Instructions to & Duties for the scorer of basketball games", the Official Scorebook is to be keeping track of the AP.

http://www.nfhs.org/Workarea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2867

That was the only time this year, that during a Sub-V game that I noticed that one of the scorebooks was actually keeping track of the AP. Yes, the official scorer is, by rule/regulation, to keep track of the AP. However, they were never trained to do so. Just like I was never trained to do so when I was Boys' Basketball Manager doing the JV & C-Squad Books. So in this case, blame the coaches & the AD for not following the rules.

I was just thankful that at least someone else besides me was keeping track. I've had no complaints from the officials as I've done a great job with the AP, though there have been a few mix-ups, but at least somehow the AP is being taken care of, even though not according to the rules/regulations. It wasn't until this year & reading the rules book, case book, & officials' manual that I even realized that it's the job of the official scorer to keep track of the AP.

Last edited by chseagle; Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 03:29pm.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

As I read it the score was there but not reflected on the scoreboard.

Officials may not re-start game, but does not effect final score.

Game recorded as a tie.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

2-2-4 says, "THE final score." There is no final score unless the game has ended (or could end), and the game doesn't ever end in a tie. There's no question that if there is an error in the book that has one team with more points at the end AND the officials leave the confines of the floor the game is over. However, if there is NO error in the book and it indicates the score is tied, the game is not over regardless of what the officials have done. There's no provision for a tied game, unless its declared interrupted or suspended.

So, assuming you have a score book that is correct (tied in points) and a scoreBOARD that is not correct (one team has more), when its pointed out to the officials, the game CAN continue without violating either the provisions of 2-4-4 or the casebook interpretation -- based on the scoring and overtime rules in Rule 5. I don't see anything in the rules that:

1) defines "final" or "final score." Thus, based on Rule 5, you have a tie game which means OT;
2) makes the scoreBOARD score official and the score that the game is left with if the officials leave the court;
3) specifically defines the word, "score," which means we look to the rest of Rule 2, and it is clear that it is the BOOK that determines what the real score is, not the scoreBOARD.

We leave the confines of the playing area at halftime, but the final score is not approved then. 2-2-4 doesn't specifically state at the end of the 4th quarter or at the end of an OT. Thus, it HAS to mean when a final score COULD POSSIBLE be approved, and it can't possibly be approved in the case of a tie.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Is this a correctable error? It is obviously some type of error, but is it correctable and can it be correct in the time frame that the error was discovered by the officials?
My first thought is that while there is an error, the timeframe in which we are allowed to correct the error ended when the officials left the visual confines of the playing court.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the table crew will be more vigilant in the future.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Is this a correctable error? It is obviously some type of error, but is it correctable and can it be correct in the time frame that the error was discovered by the officials?
My first thought is that while there is an error, the timeframe in which we are allowed to correct the error ended when the officials left the visual confines of the playing court.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the table crew will be more vigilant in the future.
No, it's not a correctable error at all, regardless of when it happened.

It is a scoring error that could have been corrected at any point after it happened up until the officials leave the visual confines of the court.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

Houston you have a big, big problem!

This should never happen especially if the table crew has worked together for any length of time.In a game like this the timer/board operator and official scorer should be conferring ("_______,does the board score match your book?-is an appropriate question to ask).Also in tight games it is common practice in our area for an official ,while reporting a late game timeout, to come and check timeouts remaining and whether the books (H & V) match!
It also brings to mind the question of scorekeeper training and experience-What percentage of the schools you serve have reasonably experienced scorers and tables? The schools in my league go like this in terms of scorekeeper experience

VG:
Me-4'th season as girls official scorer
A-1'st season
B-1'st season
C-1'st season
D-1'st season back after several off!

VB:
Me-5'th season as boys official scorer
A-1'st season
B-1'st season
C-2'nd season
D-2'nd season
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Thumbs up Houston We Have A Problem

First, thanks for the feedback from everyone and it's easy to say what we would or wouldn't do when were not placed in this situattion. Me and my partner considered the spirit and intent before making a mutual decision about returning back to the gymnasium and playing overtime. We bot agreed that this was an error on our parts and I truly believe that because both coaches wanted to see the outcome of this game finished fairly it also helped in our decision. Me and my partner both learned a valuable lesson and we never received a call from our assignor or the league in regard to this game and I was happy about that.
I understand what the rule book states and I guess our main concern was trying to get it right. I doubt if this will ever happen to me again and I hope from sharing this situation with everyone that they don't face this problem.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 07:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2ref4Ever View Post
. Me and my partner considered the spirit and intent before making a mutual decision about returning back to the gymnasium and playing overtime.
The spirit and intent of the rule is that particular game was over as soon as you and your partner left the visual confines of the court.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 07:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
There's no question that if there is an error in the book that has one team with more points at the end AND the officials leave the confines of the floor the game is over.

Agree...and while the other points that you made are well-taken, everything else that you wrote is completely irrelevant to the particular situation being discussed.

NFHS rule 2-11-11--"If the discrepancy was in the score and the mistake is not resolved, the referee shall accept the progressive team total totals of the official scorebook. A bookkeeping mistake may be corrected at any time until the referee approves the final score."

NFHS rule 2-2-4--"The jurisdiction of the officials is terminated and the final score has been approved when all officials leave the visual confines of the playing area."

1) Game ended with one team mistakenly ahead in the running score---> check.
2) Referee accepts bookkeeping mistake(wrong running score)---> check.
3) Final (wrong)score approved when both official leave visual confines of the court---> check.

That's all she wrote, podner, rules-wise. The officials' jurisdiction was terminated and by rule they no longer can fix the bookkeeping error.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
If the books are supposed to compare everything then why are some table setups done where the books aren't sitting side-by-side?
I wasn't aware that there were any such situations. They always sit side-by-side or I don't let the game start.

(Well, that's not quite true. Once, the H scorer buzzed me to the table in the middle of the first quarter to point out that the V scorer wasn't sitting next to him. I made the scorers moved. Since it took a while, I gave the teams an officials time out.)
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
everything else that you wrote is completely irrelevant
They were in response to a specific comment:

Quote:
As I read it the score was there but not reflected on the scoreboard.

Officials may not re-start game, but does not effect final score.

Game recorded as a tie.
I'm not sure why we had a long discussion on a point that was already perfectly clear and covered by the casebook virtually word for word. Without going back and rereading the OP, I thought MAYBE (based on the above referenced comment) that a discussion on that situation might be helpful. That was the reason I posted what I did.