The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 01:09pm
Huck Finn

Wrong time on clock, what would you do?

Last night I walked into the gym and the JV boys' game was just tied up with 6.1 seconds on the clock. I had the boys' varsity game; the girls' varsity game was up next.

The JV boys' game went into overtime and they put 5:00 on the clock.

At this point, as a varsity official, would you let the JV officials play 5 minutes in overtime or would you do something to help?
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
At this point, as a varsity official, would you let the JV officials play 5 minutes in overtime or would you do something to help?
How "obvious" is it that you would be helping? If you're already sitting at midcourt and can quietly say "look at teh clock", then I'd likely do so. Otherwise, I'd stay out of it -- experience is the best teacher and the officials won't make the mistake again.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 01:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nightmare On Oregon Street ...

Quote:
Mark Padgett's worst nightmare.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Last night I walked into the gym and the JV boys' game was just tied up with 6.1 seconds on the clock. I had the boys' varsity game; the girls' varsity game was up next.

I would say something. While it is true that experience might be the right teacher, this is a rule not a matter of judgment. I would politely go to the scorer's table and inform them that the time is incorrect.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 02:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
I would say something. While it is true that experience might be the right teacher, this is a rule not a matter of judgment. I would politely go to the scorer's table and inform them that the time is incorrect.
I would not interject myself into another crew's game. Now if I happen to catch the eye of one of the on-court officials I might communicate something. But I am not interfering with the table crew.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Uh-oh, looks like the table crew wasn't properly trained. If I had seen this occur, being only an observer, I would try to get the officials' attention before the OT period started. If I was close enough to the table, I would ask the timer to buzz the horn to get the officials' attention & have one come over to the table, & mention the time that was put on the clock was 5 min. instead of 4 min.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Uh-oh, looks like the table crew wasn't properly trained. If I had seen this occur, being only an observer, I would try to get the officials' attention before the OT period started. If I was close enough to the table, I would ask the timer to buzz the horn to get the officials' attention & have one come over to the table, & mention the time that was put on the clock was 5 min. instead of 4 min.
If this JV game is 6:00 quarters, then overtime would be 3 minutes.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Just like in NCAA for OT, the time on the clock would be 5 Min. as if the NCAA played quarters, it would be 10 min. per quarter.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I believe this is subject to state discretion; in Ohio all subvarsity overtime periods are 3 minutes, whether they play 6 or 7 minute quarters. Varsity plays 4 minute OT.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 07:33pm
Huck Finn

The rest of the story

I wasn't sitting at the table when this happened. I couldn't get their attention before they tossed the ball - the gym was kind of loud for a JV game - so I went to the table. I got the girl at the table to hit the horn at the next dead ball and fixed it. I just didn't want to see them mess up this badly.

The guy on the book said, "Why did you stop the clock? He has no damn right to tell you to stop it." This guy was a jerk all night and I found out he is the assigner for the table crews in Las Vegas.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 11:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Most JV games here are 8 minute quarters. OT is 4.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 01:28am
#thereferee99

I recently heard from another official...

... that his Varsity game had been two overtimes and that both were 5 minutes. I could not believe a varsity official would allow this to happen, but it did.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wasn't sitting at the table when this happened. I couldn't get their attention before they tossed the ball - the gym was kind of loud for a JV game - so I went to the table. I got the girl at the table to hit the horn at the next dead ball and fixed it. I just didn't want to see them mess up this badly.

The guy on the book said, "Why did you stop the clock? He has no damn right to tell you to stop it." This guy was a jerk all night and I found out he is the assigner for the table crews in Las Vegas.
I would have done just as you did. My main reason is that I have an interest in my assigned game starting on time.

Hopefully, you had them set the clock to 4:00 minutes, not say 3:47, despite however much time had been played so far, as long as it was less than a minute. That's what the Case Book 5.7.3 states.

The guy at the scorer's table can stick it. He obviously isn't doing his job properly, if he can't get his crew to put the correct time on the clock. As you know, up here we don't have a scorer/timer association or an assignor for them. We simply get whoever the home school provides.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 02:53pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The guy at the scorer's table can stick it. He obviously isn't doing his job properly, if he can't get his crew to put the correct time on the clock. As you know, up here we don't have a scorer/timer association or an assignor for them. We simply get whoever the home school provides.
Yeah, even our head guy - decked out in a UFC sweatshirt - said this guy is known for being a jerk on the table. I have worked games with him on the table before, but I didn't realize he had a reputation like this.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Table Crew Evaluators?

Quote:

Do the table crews get evaluated then if they are assigned?