The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wrong time on clock, what would you do? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56659-wrong-time-clock-what-would-you-do.html)

tomegun Sat Jan 23, 2010 01:09pm

Wrong time on clock, what would you do?

Last night I walked into the gym and the JV boys' game was just tied up with 6.1 seconds on the clock. I had the boys' varsity game; the girls' varsity game was up next.

The JV boys' game went into overtime and they put 5:00 on the clock.

At this point, as a varsity official, would you let the JV officials play 5 minutes in overtime or would you do something to help?

bob jenkins Sat Jan 23, 2010 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 654756)
At this point, as a varsity official, would you let the JV officials play 5 minutes in overtime or would you do something to help?

How "obvious" is it that you would be helping? If you're already sitting at midcourt and can quietly say "look at teh clock", then I'd likely do so. Otherwise, I'd stay out of it -- experience is the best teacher and the officials won't make the mistake again.

BillyMac Sat Jan 23, 2010 01:37pm

Nightmare On Oregon Street ...

Quote:

Mark Padgett's worst nightmare.

CMHCoachNRef Sat Jan 23, 2010 01:41pm

Quote:

Last night I walked into the gym and the JV boys' game was just tied up with 6.1 seconds on the clock. I had the boys' varsity game; the girls' varsity game was up next.

I would say something. While it is true that experience might be the right teacher, this is a rule not a matter of judgment. I would politely go to the scorer's table and inform them that the time is incorrect.

Raymond Sat Jan 23, 2010 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef (Post 654764)
I would say something. While it is true that experience might be the right teacher, this is a rule not a matter of judgment. I would politely go to the scorer's table and inform them that the time is incorrect.

I would not interject myself into another crew's game. Now if I happen to catch the eye of one of the on-court officials I might communicate something. But I am not interfering with the table crew.

chseagle Sat Jan 23, 2010 02:47pm

Quote:

Uh-oh, looks like the table crew wasn't properly trained. If I had seen this occur, being only an observer, I would try to get the officials' attention before the OT period started. If I was close enough to the table, I would ask the timer to buzz the horn to get the officials' attention & have one come over to the table, & mention the time that was put on the clock was 5 min. instead of 4 min.

Indianaref Sat Jan 23, 2010 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 654775)
Uh-oh, looks like the table crew wasn't properly trained. If I had seen this occur, being only an observer, I would try to get the officials' attention before the OT period started. If I was close enough to the table, I would ask the timer to buzz the horn to get the officials' attention & have one come over to the table, & mention the time that was put on the clock was 5 min. instead of 4 min.

If this JV game is 6:00 quarters, then overtime would be 3 minutes.

chseagle Sat Jan 23, 2010 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 654776)

Just like in NCAA for OT, the time on the clock would be 5 Min. as if the NCAA played quarters, it would be 10 min. per quarter.

mbyron Sat Jan 23, 2010 06:12pm

Quote:

I believe this is subject to state discretion; in Ohio all subvarsity overtime periods are 3 minutes, whether they play 6 or 7 minute quarters. Varsity plays 4 minute OT.

tomegun Sat Jan 23, 2010 07:33pm

The rest of the story

I wasn't sitting at the table when this happened. I couldn't get their attention before they tossed the ball - the gym was kind of loud for a JV game - so I went to the table. I got the girl at the table to hit the horn at the next dead ball and fixed it. I just didn't want to see them mess up this badly.

The guy on the book said, "Why did you stop the clock? He has no damn right to tell you to stop it." This guy was a jerk all night and I found out he is the assigner for the table crews in Las Vegas.

Adam Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:48pm

Quote:

Most JV games here are 8 minute quarters. OT is 4.

referee99 Sun Jan 24, 2010 01:28am

I recently heard from another official...

... that his Varsity game had been two overtimes and that both were 5 minutes. I could not believe a varsity official would allow this to happen, but it did.

Nevadaref Sun Jan 24, 2010 01:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 654822)
I wasn't sitting at the table when this happened. I couldn't get their attention before they tossed the ball - the gym was kind of loud for a JV game - so I went to the table. I got the girl at the table to hit the horn at the next dead ball and fixed it. I just didn't want to see them mess up this badly.

The guy on the book said, "Why did you stop the clock? He has no damn right to tell you to stop it." This guy was a jerk all night and I found out he is the assigner for the table crews in Las Vegas.

I would have done just as you did. My main reason is that I have an interest in my assigned game starting on time.

Hopefully, you had them set the clock to 4:00 minutes, not say 3:47, despite however much time had been played so far, as long as it was less than a minute. That's what the Case Book 5.7.3 states.

The guy at the scorer's table can stick it. He obviously isn't doing his job properly, if he can't get his crew to put the correct time on the clock. As you know, up here we don't have a scorer/timer association or an assignor for them. We simply get whoever the home school provides.

tomegun Mon Jan 25, 2010 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 654941)
The guy at the scorer's table can stick it. He obviously isn't doing his job properly, if he can't get his crew to put the correct time on the clock. As you know, up here we don't have a scorer/timer association or an assignor for them. We simply get whoever the home school provides.

Yeah, even our head guy - decked out in a UFC sweatshirt - said this guy is known for being a jerk on the table. I have worked games with him on the table before, but I didn't realize he had a reputation like this.

chseagle Mon Jan 25, 2010 03:11pm

Table Crew Evaluators?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 654822)

Do the table crews get evaluated then if they are assigned?