The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA M Traveling

I know rolling over with the ball is traveling in NFHS, but is the rule the same in college ball?

I'm watching Indiana vs Penn St, and on two different occasions, players rolled over with the ball and weren't called for traveling.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 07:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
I know rolling over with the ball is traveling in NFHS, but is the rule the same in college ball?

I'm watching Indiana vs Penn St, and on two different occasions, players rolled over with the ball and weren't called for traveling.
Were they sliding when they rolled?
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Nope...one player may have been requesting time out as he started to roll, but the other was pretty cut and dry.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post

Am watching the game and agree with you. Definite travels. I saw it once over the weekend, too, though I can't remember which game. I've been under the impression that the rule is the same (though I can't say for sure, I haven't read an NCAA rule book in about a year), and if it is, these were without a doubt travels.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

The rule is the same at both levels.

Now the difference is what exactly constitutes "rolling over." That is at the discretion of the official. For me the player has to go 180 degrees or more. Side to side ok, but front to back or back to front is a travel.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 05:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Now the difference is what exactly constitutes "rolling over." That is at the discretion of the official. For me the player has to go 180 degrees or more. Side to side ok, but front to back or back to front is a travel.
Thanks for the info on the rule. The play I saw last night was a clear front-to-back roll. Laying flat on his stomach a player gathered the ball, others were trying to get after it and he rolled over on his back and sat up, then called timeout.

Perhaps they've been guided not to call this...or perhaps they just don't call this...but it would have been an easy call for me in a HS game, and one for which I don't think I'd have caught anything from the coach.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

nevada,
Maybe I am struggling with the math here, but isn't side to side going 1/2 way around a body? Therefore, isn't back to front and side to side both 180 degrees?

Just sayin'
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
nevada,
Maybe I am struggling with the math here, but isn't side to side going 1/2 way around a body? Therefore, isn't back to front and side to side both 180 degrees?

Just sayin'
I believe that rocking side to side is much less than 180. The players is not starting out in a vertical position up on his right shoulder and side, then rolling on his back all the way to the point where he reaches vertical with his left shoulder and side touching the floor. That would be 180. What I'm picturing is more like 130 or 140.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

IMO too many guys call this traveling when it really isn't. A player will be laying on his back with the ball and will rock toward one side to make a pass (Not roll all the way over on to their stomach, but just on to their shoulder) and the official will call a traveling violation. For me, they have to roll 180 degrees like Nevada is saying.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
IMO too many guys call this traveling when it really isn't. A player will be laying on his back with the ball and will rock toward one side to make a pass (Not roll all the way over on to their stomach, but just on to their shoulder) and the official will call a traveling violation. For me, they have to roll 180 degrees like Nevada is saying.
I agree. However, it has nothing to do with this particular question, as in these instances there were players turning a full 180 from front to back.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 05:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

And it is a judgment call if there is possession. That is not as black and white either. The rules are the same, but different officials interpret (or have different judgment) actions differently some times.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Fascinating. I just saw another interesting one in the Wofford vs. College of Charleston game on ESPN2. It is possible that control was lost, but it didn't appear so on TV:

Player gathered the ball on his knees. Looking to pass and being defended, he appeared to lose his balance, went to his side, rolled onto his butt, sat back up and threw a pass. If he lost control it was as he was going to the ground, which would make it all legal, but it didn't appear that way on video.

Hmmm...