The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 12, 2001, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

I need help on an NCAA rule on traveling. I know that under NFHS rules, if a person shots a ball and the ball does not hit the rim or anything, he can rebound his own shot and not be a travel. My question is what is the NCAA rule on this matter? Does a shot have to touch something before the player who shots it touches the ball? I looked in the back of the NFHS rules under the differences and it said nothing about it so I was wondering. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old Mon Mar 12, 2001, 12:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up The same

Both NF and NCAA rule is the exact same. Anytime there is a legitimate shot in the officials opinion, they shooter can go get the ball.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2001, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

However, it is traveling in the NBA.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 16, 2001, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the help. We had this play two or three times in intramural basketball last week and they said we are playing by NCAA rules so I was wondering about it. I thought the rule was that it was legal like high school but everyone there said it was a walk. So, thanks for the feedback. At least now I know that my thinking was correct. They even asked our coaches here at college and they said it was a travel in NCAA.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2001, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the help. We had this play two or three times in intramural basketball last week and they said we are playing by NCAA rules so I was wondering about it. I thought the rule was that it was legal like high school but everyone there said it was a walk.
When I was a fan and an intramural referee (before I ever picked up a rulebook), I used to think this was a travel, too and NOW I get people upset when I DON'T call this a travel.

Quote:
So, thanks for the feedback. At least now I know that my thinking was correct.
This forum is an outstanding place to really learn the rules. We are glad you asked the question. AHHH! Another educated fan.

Quote:
They even asked our coaches here at college and they said it was a travel in NCAA.
This was the first mistake
Old Fri Mar 16, 2001, 12:26pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb NCAA Definition

Quote:
Originally posted by akingsfan
I need help on an NCAA rule on traveling. I know that under NFHS rules, if a person shots a ball and the ball does not hit the rim or anything, he can rebound his own shot and not be a travel. My question is what is the NCAA rule on this matter? Does a shot have to touch something before the player who shots it touches the ball? I looked in the back of the NFHS rules under the differences and it said nothing about it so I was wondering. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kingsfan,
(quote)
Rule 4, Section 60. Traveling
Art.1 Traveling occurs when a player holding the ball moves a foot or both feet in any direction in excess of the prescribed limits described in this rule.

A.R. 32. A1 attempts a try at Team A's basket after having completed a dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the ring, flange, or any player. A1 runs and catches the ball before it strikes the playing court. Is this traveling? Ruling When A1 recovered his or her own try, A1 could dribble, pass or try again. There is no team control by either team when a try is in flight. However, when the shot clock expires and a try by A1 has not struck the ring, it shall be a violation of the shot-clock rule.(end quote)

mick
Old Sat Mar 17, 2001, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

The NCAA rule is the same as NFHS. Player and team control ends on a try (shot attempt). Therefore the shooter can recover his own shot attempt, whether it hits anything or not.