The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
When this happens, use the BK version of the old baseball rule.

Don't T them up until the ball hits the ground....

May this be the only T you ever have to call.
Can I ask what the theory is behind this? Take that time to think about it before you hand out the T? Or are you just saying a spike of the ball should be a T every time?
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 10:03am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
Can I ask what the theory is behind this? Take that time to think about it before you hand out the T? Or are you just saying a spike of the ball should be a T every time?
NO!

As you've heard said here before, this is where you use judgment.

For me, a player who bounces the ball hard with two hands and catches it out of frustration is different, from someone who one-handedly winds up and slams the ball down where it bounces half way to the ceiling, or even slams it against a wall.

Each play/situation stands on its own merit and should be called individually. You set the your tolerance threshold - JMO.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 10:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
Old joke attributed to different officials in different sports.....

The response to a player throwing a ball up in the air is some variation of "If that comes down, it's a penalty/you're gone."
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
NO!

As you've heard said here before, this is where you use judgment.

For me, a player who bounces the ball hard with two hands and catches it out of frustration is different, from someone who one-handedly winds up and slams the ball down where it bounces half way to the ceiling, or even slams it against a wall.

Each play/situation stands on its own merit and should be called individually. You set the your tolerance threshold - JMO.
Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post

The response to a player throwing a ball up in the air is some variation of "If that comes down, it's a penalty/you're gone."
Ha, I get it. Nice.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post

Not to get off thread...

The old adage in baseball (as it was passed onto me was...."if the bat hit the ground....yada, yayda".
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Not automatic, IMO. Depends on a number of factors; height of the bounce being chief among them.

And if I called the T without warning her, I wouldn't have spoken with her about it, so she wouldn't have had a chance to tell me to shut up.
Sometimes it's a hard bounce, and comes right back to the hands. This may have been an emotion expressed at the own players displeasure with there play, not your call. But if it's so dramatic that it can't be ignored I have no problem with the whack. I will have some latitude in these situations.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 04:39pm
Esteemed Participant

Worked a boys JV/V double header last night. In the JV game, visiting kid (down by 20 or so) gets a really nice block and then kinda gets in the blockees face. I get between them to make sure nothing stupid happens and tell the blocker

"You don't need to be doing that, 23."

His response: "Well, I did. What are you gonna do about it?"

"That's an easy question to answer, 23." Whistle. T. Go to table to report. Coach says "Did he mouth off to you?"

"Yes, coach."

"Stupid kid. I'll get him out of there."

That's my second one of the year. First was on a JV coach. I have a newfound respect for those of us who work a lot of JV games!
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 06:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

My criteria is that if the ball bounces higher than 1.374 times the height of the player who slammed it down, then it's a T. That's one of the reasons I don't work FEEBLE games - I'd have to learn how to convert that to metric.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 09:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Has Logarithms ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
My criteria is that if the ball bounces higher than 1.374 times the height of the player who slammed it down, then it's a T. That's one of the reasons I don't work FEEBLE games - I'd have to learn how to convert that to metric.
You can borrow my slide rule.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 09:50pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Tonight BJV game A1 is called for a block. TWEET. He takes the ball and dribbles that hard once and catches it below his waste. I give him "the look" and head to the table to report.

Halftime, my P and I are discussing the half and V ref comes in locker room. Asked him what he thought about the half? One of his questions was - why no T? I explained my reasoning - a bit of frustration vs unsporting behavior. He said he would have whacked him to prevent further escalation - got it.

We agreed to disagree and he respected my position and I his.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 03:32am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I wouldn't have tossed her, but I'd have rung her up. Good job.
I'd have seriously considered issuing a flagrant T for that but I think it depends a lot in how it is said, etc.

I had a game last week where a player did a short, hard bounce on the ball, which he caught and then left on the court, after my partner called a foul. The player did it right in front of me. I wasn't going to T him for it but was going over to talk to him when my partner whacked him. I grabbed the ball from the floor and walked over to the endline. Each official has their own standard.