The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Gave my first Whack since, well EVER! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56624-gave-my-first-whack-since-well-ever.html)

showbo Thu Jan 21, 2010 09:33pm

Gave my first Whack since, well EVER!

I dished out my very first Whack tonight. 9th girls, partner calls a foul on a B1, B1 spikes the ball, I walk up to B1, and call by number. No response, I call again, nothing, I finally get her attention, tell B1 I don't want to see that kind of behavior again, this is your only warning, B1 tells me to shut up.

Partner was reporting to the table, I blow my whistle, and T her up. Partner told me I handled myself very well, and looked professional in the way of my delivery and reporting.

After game, Myself my partner, and another official were discussing it, and the other official tells me I should have threw her out of the game. Told me that if a player were to ever tell him to shut up, the player would get a T, and get thrown out.

All in all, game lasted a lifetime it seemed, but we got through it.

BTW, if it even matters, game was not close, the player I Whacked, her team was down like 20+.

Fun times, I am glad that cherry is popped!

Oscar

Adam Thu Jan 21, 2010 09:36pm

I wouldn't have tossed her, but I'd have rung her up. Good job.

bas2456 Thu Jan 21, 2010 09:38pm

I don't know how everyone else is, but as soon as a player spikes the ball, they get a T from me. It's one of those "Hey look at me, I'm mad" kinda thing.

Then if she still told me to shut up, she can go back to the locker room for the rest of the night.

grunewar Thu Jan 21, 2010 09:42pm

Welcome to the T Party

I'm sure it won't be your last......

I've rung up many a player for spiking the ball......and she might have gotten tossed by me too on the second WHACK for disrespecting you!

Adam Thu Jan 21, 2010 09:44pm

Not automatic, IMO. Depends on a number of factors; height of the bounce being chief among them.

And if I called the T without warning her, I wouldn't have spoken with her about it, so she wouldn't have had a chance to tell me to shut up.

jkumpire Thu Jan 21, 2010 09:46pm

a suggestion

When this happens, use the BK version of the old baseball rule.

Don't T them up until the ball hits the ground....

May this be the only T you ever have to call.

justacoach Thu Jan 21, 2010 09:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 654266)
she can go back to the locker room for the rest of the night.

Kindly provide a rules based justification for this action.

Thank me!

Ignats75 Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:17pm

My rule is if the ball bounces higher than the rim it's a T.

I am always puzzled at the attitude that T's are something to be avoided....like it's a sign of failure that we have to dish one out. T's aren't given. They are earned for unsportsmanlike behavior. It's a failure NOT to give one when it's deserved.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 654275)

Thank me!

Thank you.

Any official that followed that advice could have got themselves in deep doodoo. Strictly against NFHS rules to send a disqualified player to the dressing room unless you send an adult with them.

bas2456 Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 654275)

Thank me!

I said that as a metaphor for the player being done for the night, won't be playing anymore, hitting the showers, etc. etc.

Lighten up a bit, you'll thank me.

justacoach Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 654283)
I said that as a metaphor for the player being done for the night, won't be playing anymore, hitting the showers, etc. etc.

Lighten up a bit, you'll thank me.

Sorry, my ESP is a bit off focus tonight.
I'm pretty sure you used clear, declaratory English to suggest a specific action in a very authoritative fashion.
For the benefit of the noobs who read this board, both Jurassic and I wanted to disabuse them of the idea that this was a valid course of action.
You should learn to say what you mean because most participants of this site respectfully assume you mean what you say.

Later

bas2456 Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 654299)
Sorry, my ESP is a bit off focus tonight.
I'm pretty sure you used clear, declaratory English to suggest a specific action in a very authoritative fashion.
For the benefit of the noobs who read this board, both Jurassic and I wanted to disabuse them of the idea that this was a valid course of action.
You should learn to say what you mean because most participants of this site respectfully assume you mean what you say.

Later

Let me apologize then for using unclear, non-declaratory English for what I meant to say. I realize it's sometimes difficult to discern the intended meaning from typed words.

chartrusepengui Fri Jan 22, 2010 08:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 654269)
Not automatic, IMO. Depends on a number of factors; height of the bounce being chief among them.

Seriously - what does this have to do with the price of tea in china? The ball bounces up 4 feet after being slammed to the floor and thats just a don't do that again warning BUT if it is slammed and bounces 4'6" T? It's either unsporting or not. Height of bounce should have nothing to do with whether you deem it unsporting or not. :(

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 22, 2010 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui (Post 654350)
Seriously - what does this have to do with the price of tea in china? The ball bounces up 4 feet after being slammed to the floor and thats just a don't do that again warning BUT if it is slammed and bounces 4'6" T? It's either unsporting or not. Height of bounce should have nothing to do with whether you deem it unsporting or not. :(

Why not? A technical foul for unsporting behavior is usually a judgment call and every official sets their own judgment standards. Why would your personal standard be right and Snaqs' be wrong? :confused:

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 22, 2010 09:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 654305)
Let me apologize then for using unclear, non-declaratory English for what I meant to say. I realize it's sometimes difficult to discern the intended meaning from typed words.

Apology accepted. Your intended meaning didn't resemble what you wrote. And what you wrote could have been very easily misconstrued as being the right way to handle the situation, rules-wise. It wasn't.

Justacoach made a good point imo. And fwiw that was my point also.