The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
In my opinion, it got him at roughly $200,000 a year in officiating wages. I'd be ok with that. It is up to each individual to figure out how often they want to work. He's carried a full schedule like that for years. Unfortunately injuries happen to everyone. I'll never be a men's official, but I'd take a Welmer on his 25th day in a row before a lot of other officials. That guy knows how to run a game.
And his assignors and schools like the way he does it, too.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
And his assignors and schools like the way he does it, too.
It wouldn't seem that the people assigning post-season games do though....
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ref View Post

He certainly looked to be laboring a little bit while running.
You think???
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He certainly looked to be laboring a little bit while running.
He's been laboring running for the last decade, but the coaches and the conference assignors obviously love him.

For my money I think he calls a good game, but one has to wonder if he had scaled down his schedule, like some of his contemporaries (Higgins and Burr to name two), he might have been able to avoid some of the injuries.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
It wouldn't seem that the people assigning post-season games do though....
So? He gets well over 100 games in the regular season by people who like how he runs a game. You think he's going to change to work 3-4 more?
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz View Post
He's been laboring running for the last decade, but the coaches and the conference assignors obviously love him.

For my money I think he calls a good game, but one has to wonder if he had scaled down his schedule, like some of his contemporaries (Higgins and Burr to name two), he might have been able to avoid some of the injuries.
Scaling down obviously would have decreased his chances of injury. But, it also decreases (pretty significantly) his earning potential. When you're to the point he is, if that's your primary source of income, it's easy to take a "get it while you can" mentality.

It's easy for us to sit here and say he should take some time off. But it's awful hard when taking a night off means giving up more than what many take home every two weeks.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So? He gets well over 100 games in the regular season by people who like how he runs a game. You think he's going to change to work 3-4 more?
From everything I've read, he's not exactly thrilled with the prospect of going down as the best ref never to work the Big Dance...
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
From everything I've read, he's not exactly thrilled with the prospect of going down as the best ref never to work the Big Dance...
I know, but I think that ship sailed years ago. At some point you realize you are never going to get that Final Four or that HS State and you move on from it. I've gotta say, I've just about reached that point in my so-called career. I'm mostly OK with it, except when I'm not.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
With a torn meniscus.
So? I've had one for over a year.

Seriously, mine is a mild one and it has slowed me down somewhat, going in late March. Hope Welmer is back next season.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Especially when he can get the same 3-4 more in the NIT.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Scaling down obviously would have decreased his chances of injury. But, it also decreases (pretty significantly) his earning potential. When you're to the point he is, if that's your primary source of income, it's easy to take a "get it while you can" mentality.

It's easy for us to sit here and say he should take some time off. But it's awful hard when taking a night off means giving up more than what many take home every two weeks.
I totally agree with you, but some of the guys his age have realized that reducing their schedule might allow them to continue working.

If I were Welmer I'd want to keep doing games for as long as possible and doing 100 games (along with the requisite travel) every year is going to shorten his career.

To the Final Four point...He hasn't worked the 2nd weekend in a long time, so I think that he knew the Final Four ship sailed long ago. I wonder (and there's probably no answer to this) if he worked fewer games if he would have been fresher at the end of the season and might have got that FF assignment that every DI ref dreams of somewhere along the way.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Huh?!?!?

Welmer is almost 60 years old. He has been at the highest level for more than 25 years. He isn't worried about "extending" his career, he wants another shot at THE Dance!

As for INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS, well, they are their own business, and they are able to dictate how much or how little they can handle.

As for the rest of us who wish we were in his shoes . . . the door is opening, now what are we going to do about it.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 05:56pm
In Time Out

I know people say oh he is a great ref and all this. But the fact is he was doing too many games. That injury can happen to anyone but you see it a lot with tennis players and other people on their feet a lot. too much wear and tear. NCAA should put up restrictions for refs.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Whats with all the whining for wear and tear? The basketball season is about 2-3 months a year. I dont think we are working as vigorously or as often in the off season. Some of you make it sound like he's working at this pace all year...He has 9 months to relax and rest.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Whats with all the whining for wear and tear? The basketball season is about 2-3 months a year. I dont think we are working as vigorously or as often in the off season. Some of you make it sound like he's working at this pace all year...He has 9 months to relax and rest.
Division I basketball is a 5+ month season. Started in early November this year, the regular season concludes with conference championships the second week of March. That's 4.5 months. If you include post-season tournaments that last another month you have 5.5 months. Considering many of these officials are also working a few scrimmages before the season starts you could conceivable work pretty steady for almost 6 months.