Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Welmer out...

With a torn meniscus.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Hate to hear that about anyone, do you think it may be because they have them call somewhere about 5 or 6 nights a week????? Maybe they should take this into consideration.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 01:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie View Post
Hate to hear that about anyone, do you think it may be because they have them call somewhere about 5 or 6 nights a week????? Maybe they should take this into consideration.
Who should? Who is "they?"
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

My nonprofessional opinion is maybe the foot was not all the way healed and he was compensating for that and thus causing strain elsewhere (knee).

He certainly looked to be laboring a little bit while running.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Assignors! I'm sure he is not the only one that has had something like this happen. They work them guys way to hard, different city 5 or 6 nights a week. Sure it's great money, but at what price?
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 02:04pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Hate to hear that about anyone.
Concur.

Numbers of games refs work comes up every yr....... shrug.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 02:05pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Assignors! I'm sure he is not the only one that has had something like this happen. They work them guys way to hard, different city 5 or 6 nights a week. Sure it's great money, but at what price?
No is always an answer.......
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They don't work them any harder than he wants to be worked. He can refuse assignments anytime he gets ready too.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

When he is ready to quit calling, that is when they start turning down games. Turn down a couple and they quit calling. The assignors should realize this and not put them in this position to have to turn down games. That is my point.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 02:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
When he is ready to quit calling, that is when they start turning down games. Turn down a couple and they quit calling. The assignors should realize this and not put them in this position to have to turn down games. That is my point.
So, do you propose the assigners all get together and determine which of them can have Welmer on which days? How do they determine his days off? How do they enforce it?

Do you get with other customers and determine how many people your local McDonald's can provide meals for in week? No, the market sets it by their performance. Same goes for officials like Welmer. As long as he's performing up to the standards desired by the assigners, he'll be able to work 7 days a week if he wants.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 02:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The officials give their assignors open dates. Each individual assignor slots his games in the league(s) he's responsible for by using the availabilities given to him. And each assignor usually does not know what that official is doing on the days that he has said he isn't available.

Iow, the individual assignor doesn't really know how many consecutive games that Welmer or any other offiicial is working. They can only control the schedule when an official is working for them, but they can't control when the official may be working for another assignor.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

And look what it got him?
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 02:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So, do you propose the assigners all get together and determine which of them can have Welmer on which days? How do they determine his days off? How do they enforce it?

Do you get with other customers and determine how many people your local McDonald's can provide meals for in week? No, the market sets it by their performance. Same goes for officials like Welmer. As long as he's performing up to the standards desired by the assigners, he'll be able to work 7 days a week if he wants.
Welmer is offered a pick of the games from multiple conferences and schools (for nonconference games). He sits down and chooses his schedule based on travel and sends the rest of the possible games back to be assigned to other officials. Do a Google search and you'll be able to find an article that describes this well.

Also, I'm sure that Welmer has game fee insurance that will ensure he doesn't hurt financially from missing these games. I'm sure it bothers him to miss the end of the season 2 years in a row, but it's not like he's on Adams's speed dial for the NCAA tourney anyway.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But that's the point. You wrote how the assignors are working him so hard. HE has the power to decide how much HE wants to work.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In my opinion, it got him at roughly $200,000 a year in officiating wages. I'd be ok with that. It is up to each individual to figure out how often they want to work. He's carried a full schedule like that for years. Unfortunately injuries happen to everyone. I'll never be a men's official, but I'd take a Welmer on his 25th day in a row before a lot of other officials. That guy knows how to run a game.