The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Clock doesn't start--Texas vs K-State

Watching the end of the first half, and it looked like K-State was about to inbound the ball after a made free throw with 4.7 seconds left. They got it in, and A1 takes several dribbles to get down the court and puts up a shot, but the clock never started.

The officials went to the monitor. I had no sound so I couldn't hear what the announcers were saying.

Did anyone else see this? What did they do?

EDIT: They used a stopwatch...

What should we do in NFHS games, where we 99 times out of 100 don't have a monitor to go to (the rules don't allow us to use a monitor for this situation anyways)?
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

do what the rules allow us to do.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
What should we do in NFHS games, where we 99 times out of 100 don't have a monitor to go to (the rules don't allow us to use a monitor for this situation anyways)?
Check the clock as you come up the floor to ensure that it starts properly. Have a 10-second count in the backcourt even when there are fewer than 10 seconds left in the quarter just in case you need definite knowledge for a timing error.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 10:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Check the clock as you come up the floor to ensure that it starts properly. Have a 10-second count in the backcourt even when there are fewer than 10 seconds left in the quarter just in case you need definite knowledge for a timing error.
I've done this. In hind sight, I'd kill it as soon as I realized the clock hadn't started, remind them to start it, take the appropriate time off (likely around 3 seconds), and put the ball in play.
I ended up counting to five and ending the half with the offensive team not getting a shot off.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I've done this. In hind sight, I'd kill it as soon as I realized the clock hadn't started, remind them to start it, take the appropriate time off (likely around 3 seconds), and put the ball in play.
I ended up counting to five and ending the half with the offensive team not getting a shot off.
I agree with you about quickly stopping play as long as there isn't a scoring play in progress. Sometimes with only a couple of seconds remaining the team catches the throw-in pass and goes straight for the basket. You can't stop that in mid-stride.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Don't know how many caught it, but the double T with 16.7 left caused K-State's #23 Dominique Sutton to foul out. He had just been fouled during the live ball action prior to the double T and was due bonus FTs. #22 Rodney McGruder subbed in for him and attempted the FTs.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Don't know how many caught it, but the double T with 16.7 left caused K-State's #23 Dominique Sutton to foul out. He had just been fouled during the live ball action prior to the double T and was due bonus FTs. #22 Rodney McGruder subbed in for him and attempted the FTs.
I don't work NCAA so: Does this mean the rule change for the opposing coach choosing the shooter from the 4 remaining players only applies to injured, but not disqualified players?
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
I don't work NCAA so: Does this mean the rule change for the opposing coach choosing the shooter from the 4 remaining players only applies to injured, but not disqualified players?
Correct. It also does not apply to players who are bleeding or when the foul is deemed intentional or flagrant and injures the shooter.

PS This rule change is only on the MENS' side. The NCAA Womens' rule matches the NFHS and has the substitute attempt the FTs.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 08:33am.