The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 23, 2003, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

According to the announcers (for whats that is worth), the ruling is that the ball hit the rim, but the officials did not consider it a shot.

With about two seconds left on the shot clock the ball was loose under the basket- it was tipped by the offensive team and hit the lower front of the rim- stayed loose until the shot clock expired.

The officials reviewed it on the video, and called it a shot clock violation.

Is this correct?
Old Sun Mar 23, 2003, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Doesn't sound like they thought it was a shot to me.

9-10-1
The team in control shall attempt a try for field goal within 35 seconds for men and within 30 seconds for women after any player on the playing court legally touches or is touched by the ball on a throw-in or when a team initially gains possession of the ball from a jump ball, an
unsuccessful try for field goal or a loose ball.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Mar 23rd, 2003 at 07:46 PM]
Old Sun Mar 23, 2003, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Did you see the play BkBallRef? It was a tip that looked like a shot attempt by a Purdue player. Refs looked at it on the monitor and called a shot clock violation. I thought the tip was an attempt and that they should have gone with AP since no one had control when shot clock sounded.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2003, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
Did you see the play BkBallRef? It was a tip that looked like a shot attempt by a Purdue player. Refs looked at it on the monitor and called a shot clock violation. I thought the tip was an attempt and that they should have gone with AP since no one had control when shot clock sounded.
No, I didn't. I was just responding to what they possibly might have saw.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2003, 08:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
Jay R,
Didn't look like a try to me.
Looked like a loose ball around the rim and no more than a "wish (I could get it)".

Why would anyone tip a ball straight up from under the rim?
mick
Old Sun Mar 23, 2003, 09:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Judgement does play a role here.

It has to be a shot that hits the rim that can reset the clock.

4-58-1: Shot Clock Try

A shot-clock try for field goal is defined as the ball having lefte the shooter's hand(s) before the sounding of the shot-clock horn and then striking the ring of flange, or entering the basket.

Now if that is what happen, then the official blew the call. But this is also subject to judgement. I am sure they did not rule the action that made the ball hit the rim a shot.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 23, 2003, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I didn't see the play, but I think a better rule citation is 2-13-6d. The shot clock operator shall stop the timing device and reset it when a try for goal strikes the ring or flange. . .

It must be a shot attempt in order to have a reset. If your description is right, the official must have judged that it was not a try for goal.

Chuck
Old Sun Mar 23, 2003, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Looked like a tip to me, and the shot clock should have been reset. But, at least they got the inadvertent whistle right..no team possession, they went to the arrow.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

The announcer said it was called a shot clock violation, and thus went to Texas. Not a inadvertent whistle.

I watched them give the ball to Texas, so that much I can confirm.

Overall, I thought the officials slanted a little towards the high seed- Texas- in the last couple of minutes. And no I have no rooting/betting interest in either team.

I'm not saying it was concious, just that Texas seemed to get the calls, and Purdue didn't.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

For the purpose of resetting the shot clock, is it considered a shot if the player never lets go of the ball?
For example, a player attempting a dunk, pins the ball against the rim and then comes back down with it.
Or what about a player who simply jumps and touches the ball to the rim and then returns to the floor?
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

That looks like a travel to me
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Looked like a tip to me, and the shot clock should have been reset. But, at least they got the inadvertent whistle right..no team possession, they went to the arrow.
The refs ruled a shot clock violation.

My point of view is that you will often see a foul called when a player tips a ball towards the basket and contact occurs. If they consider that a shooting foul, then it is considered an attempt. Bottom line in this situation: the refs had to judge whether the tip was an attempt or not, they decided it was not. It could have gone either way.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

I was watching the game as well. Here's what happened, and what was ruled.

Purdue shot the ball off of the backboard without touching the rim with about 2 seconds left on the shot clock. A couple players went for the rebound, and black tipped the ball towards the basket where it hit the bottom of the rim. After that, there was a scramble for the ball. The shot clock was not reset and expired with neither team in control of the ball.

The officials did go to the video tape, where they decided the tip was not a FG attempt, and called a shot-clock violation. Texas got the ball. While inbounding the ball in front of the TV announcers, the official verbally told them (I could hear it somewhat audibly) that they didn't consider the tip a try.

IMHO, it should have been considered a try. It looked to me like a semi-controlled tap. The arrow was going to Texas anyway, so I thought it was the easiest decision to make. There was an AP later in the game, so Purdue did kind of get screwed out of a possession.