The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

newbie with rules questions

I was watching a game recently and being a "new" ref several friends were asking questions about some of the calls and I am just checking my answers.

1. Are all technical fouls 2-shots? (yes) Is there ever a time it is one shot? (no)

2. Can a player come off the bench to shoot the technical free-throws? (yes)

3. In the case of a "flagrant" foul without injury....is there ever a time the person who gets fouled does not shoot the free-throws? (actually saw this happen....officials treated it the same as a "technical" and I thought they were wrong.)
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 12:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheisner View Post
I was watching a game recently and being a "new" ref several friends were asking questions about some of the calls and I am just checking my answers.

1. Are all technical fouls 2-shots? (yes) Is there ever a time it is one shot? (no)

2. Can a player come off the bench to shoot the technical free-throws? (yes)

3. In the case of a "flagrant" foul without injury....is there ever a time the person who gets fouled does not shoot the free-throws? (actually saw this happen....officials treated it the same as a "technical" and I thought they were wrong.)
I'll answer with the assumption you're talking about high school rules.
1 a). Yes, every time. Two shots and the ball at the division line.
1 b). No, this is an NBA rule; get used to questions that indicate the person is watching too much NBA.

2. Yes.

3. Depends. If it's a flagrant personal (typically a foul with inent to injur on a shooter, but not always), the sub should shoot. If it's a flagrant technical foul (someone takes a swing when the ball is dead, for example), anyone can shoot.

In order to know if they got it wrong, we need more information. What was the foul? What was the status of the ball when it was committed? Who shot the free throw (was it another player on the court or was it the sub?)
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheisner View Post
If the T is as or after time has expired for the game, and one shot is all that is needed to determione the outcome (the shot is made, and the team is now ahead, or the shot is missed and the team is now behind by 2), then the second will not be shot.

I'm sure that's not what you were asking, though.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 12:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If the T is as or after time has expired for the game, and one shot is all that is needed to determione the outcome (the shot is made, and the team is now ahead, or the shot is missed and the team is now behind by 2), then the second will not be shot.
Ya' know, I really don't like when this happens because it screws up the spread.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

I'm sure that's not what you were asking, though.
If it is after time has expired (and all other activity related to the 4th Q was complete), you would either need them both (shooting team down by 1 or 2), neither (team ahead or down by more than 2), or you'd already be heading to OT (teams tied) where the T shots would start OT.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If it is after time has expired (and all other activity related to the 4th Q was complete), you would either need them both (shooting team down by 1 or 2), neither (team ahead or down by more than 2), or you'd already be heading to OT (teams tied) where the T shots would start OT.
In the scenario where the offended team was down by 2, you would only shoot one if the first was missed...