The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

uniform rule

The Illinois High School Association(IHSA) has posted a new announcement about uniform rule enforcement. (IHSA.org) Must read. Should solve most of the problems.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Just to save other's time as welll...

The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) announced today that waivers for illegal basketball uniforms can be secured by completing the “Basketball Uniform Waiver Request Form” that is available online in the IHSA Schools Center. Following last year’s basketball state tournament series, the Association stepped up its efforts to make officials and schools aware of the uniform rules and regulations.

“The uniform rule was specifically addressed in this year’s preseason rule interpretation meetings, said IHSA Executive Director Marty Hickman. “Every school and every official was reminded that compliance with the rule was mandatory rather than optional.”

Officials have recently notified the IHSA of several schools whose uniforms do not currently comply with National Federation of State High School Association (NFHS) rules. As a result, the Association has instituted a waiver process that allows schools to use their illegal uniforms for the remainder of this season, including the state tournament series, without penalty.

In addition, schools successfully completing the waiver process this year will be allowed to petition for the waiver on an annual basis until they arrive at the normal replacement cycle for their uniforms. Schools must receive a waiver this year to be eligible for a waiver during the 2010-11 season.

“We have no intention of requiring schools to expend additional dollars now, or in the future, to replace illegal uniforms,” added Hickman. “We fully realize there are many more pressing financial needs in our schools than basketball uniforms.”

Schools wearing illegal uniforms that fail to apply for a waiver will continue to be penalized per NFHS rules in the regular season and IHSA State Series. The penalty for an illegal uniform is a technical foul assessed to the offending team’s coach prior to the start of the contest.

The Association is encouraging schools to specify to their uniform supplier that all new uniforms must comply with NFHS regulations. Further, the IHSA will be submitting a proposal to the NFHS to simplify the basketball uniform rule.

“When a school or administrator complains about a rule, we always tell them that there is a process in place to change that rule and that they should submit a by-law proposal,” said Hickman. “We are taking our own advice, so to speak, as we feel that the NFHS uniform rules for basketball may be a bit too restrictive and cumbersome. We hope our proposal will be well received and help streamline those rules.”
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 11:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Are they going to make sure coaches are aware of all the other ruels, too?
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Snaqwells Are they going to make sure coaches are aware of all the other ruels, too?

Snaqwells,
You wouldn't believe how big a deal this has become in some places here in IL and some of the problems associated with it.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of uniform rules/regulations, rule 3-5-5 states:
Undershirts shall be a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey & shall be hemmed & not have frayed or ragged edges. If the undershirt has sleeves, they shall be the same length. A visible manufacturer's logo/trademark/reference is not permitted on the undershirt.

During the Boys' C-Squad game the other night, V13 had a black undershirt on underneath a red jersey. During a dead ball, I buzzed the horn & asked about the player having the different undershirt color than jersey, the official's reponse was in non-Varsity contests they don't worry about it.

After asking, I noticed that H40 had a white undershirt on underneath a yellow jersey.

The reason why I asked was that I was curious about why the rule enforcement wasn't there.

To answer everyone's question, no Rookiedude was not one of the officials for that game.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

If you are working the table, why did you buzz the horn and ask about it?
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
During a dead ball, I buzzed the horn & asked about the player having the different undershirt color than jersey, .
I thought you weren't going to do that anymore?

My advice: Don't do it again.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Speaking of uniform rules/regulations, rule 3-5-5 states:
Undershirts shall be a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey & shall be hemmed & not have frayed or ragged edges. If the undershirt has sleeves, they shall be the same length. A visible manufacturer's logo/trademark/reference is not permitted on the undershirt.

During the Boys' C-Squad game the other night, V13 had a black undershirt on underneath a red jersey. During a dead ball, I buzzed the horn & asked about the player having the different undershirt color than jersey, the official's reponse was in non-Varsity contests they don't worry about it.

After asking, I noticed that H40 had a white undershirt on underneath a yellow jersey.

The reason why I asked was that I was curious about why the rule enforcement wasn't there.

To answer everyone's question, no Rookiedude was not one of the officials for that game.
How do I say this tactfully.........

As the clock operator you have absolutely no business interrupting the game for something like this. Why the rule is or is not being enforced is none of your business and you need to butt out.

'nuff said!
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
If you are working the table, why did you buzz the horn and ask about it?
I was curious whether or not they were ignoring it or didn't notice it. It was during a dead ball situation at the time & the player I was asking about was an active player at the time.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:29pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Be curious when the game is over......
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was curious whether or not they were ignoring it or didn't notice it. It was during a dead ball situation at the time & the player I was asking about was an active player at the time.
You were more than curious -- you were trying to help "your team". ANd, even during a dead ball, officials have things to do. If I was called over for such a trivial piece of crap, I'd be sure that you wouldn't have the opportunity to press the damn horn any more that evening.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I thought you weren't going to do that anymore?

My advice: Don't do it again.
I had a legit question concerning a rule interp. Play was dead at the time, so there was no IH.

As I said before, out of sight, out of mind on things. Concerning the undershirt being a different color than the jersey, kinda hard to ignore.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You were more than curious -- you were trying to help "your team". ANd, even during a dead ball, officials have things to do. If I was called over for such a trivial piece of crap, I'd be sure that you wouldn't have the opportunity to press the damn horn any more that evening.
How could I be helping "my team" if one of the home team players was doing the same thing?

If that player hadn't of stepped onto the court as an active player, nothing would of been said.

The home team player was coming in as a sub at the time the dead ball happened, I just used the visiting player as an example.

Last edited by chseagle; Sun Jan 17, 2010 at 09:37pm.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a legit question concerning a rule interp. Play was dead at the time, so there was no IH.

As I said before, out of sight, out of mind on things. Concerning the undershirt being a different color than the jersey, kinda hard to ignore.
OK, let's try one more time......

As the clock operator, the only legitimate questions are those specifically related to your job - everything else is none of your business.

As Bob mentioned, the officials have a number of things to do during a dead ball, not the least of which is to get the ball back into play as expediently as possible. Your actions hindered that and are completely unacceptable. I agree with Bob - do that in a game I'm working and you would be immediately replaced.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
OK, let's try one more time......

As the clock operator, the only legitimate questions are those specifically related to your job - everything else is none of your business.

As Bob mentioned, the officials have a number of things to do during a dead ball, not the least of which is to get the ball back into play as expediently as possible. Your actions hindered that and are completely unacceptable. I agree with Bob - do that in a game I'm working and you would be immediately replaced.
Ok, what would happen then if there was no one else available as there was no one trained?

The time that elapsed was only about 30 sec. from my asking to play continuing.