The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

New uniform rule

Home jerseys are required to be white starting 2007-08.

Our school colors are Navy/Gold.
G-JV, G-V, B-V all have white home uni's.

B-JV have gold home uni's.

Whats the penalty? T on everybody in gold? Indirect T on the coach?

Sounds like our boys JV will never have a jump ball at home next year!
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't seen the rule yet, but I think since its a school/team issue rather than an individual issue, in addition to probably one T, we will be asked to make a report to the state association and they'll make a phone call to your superintendent -- at least in theory. But we'll play. About the only time we don't play is when the court is unplayable or required equipment is missing. Examples: leaking roof and only one basket. OR, when a team doesn't enough players.

If I were you, I'd get the right uniforms and save everyone the hassle.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
If I were you, I'd get the right uniforms and save everyone the hassle.
I'm all set (Girls Varsity). We got our whites 2 years ago.

Boys JV got new golds 6 years ago.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

You might want to check with your state. Since the JV squads sometimes get the varsity hand-me-downs your state association may be willing to write a letter approving the gold uniforms. They might understand that it is a cost issue and OK at the lower levels. At the very least, an email or phone call to your state is much cheaper than going out and buying new uniforms. If they say no, then you can go shopping.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 01:14pm
MABO Member

Does the rule actually say must wear "White"?

I would have expected something along the lines as HOME must wear "light" color jerseys and VISITORS must wear "dark color jerseys.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 01:19pm
Ch1town

There it is...

http://chsaa.org/sports/basketball/p...lluniforms.pdf
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 01:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Does anyone really worry about this at the JV level? A lot of schools have traditionally used varsity hand-me-down uniforms for the JV squads, and I've never really concerned myself with uniform issues in JV games, unless we had duplicate numbers. Even then, a little masking tape has solved the problem most times.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 01:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

First of all this rule has been around for about 3-4 years. They gave schools long enough to purchase new uniforms to comply with the rule like many equipment rules are set a few years in advance. Secondly, you have to wear white. You cannot wear a light color like gold, silver, yellow or gray as a home uniform color. Now the primary color has to be white. I am not at home right now and I do not have my books to see if there is an actual penalty. I am sure this would be something for state organizations to deal with more than the actual court officials.

Schools have had plenty of time to comply with this rule, so at this point if you were unaware; someone has not read a rulebook in a while.

Peace
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 01:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Does anyone really worry about this at the JV level? A lot of schools have traditionally used varsity hand-me-down uniforms for the JV squads, and I've never really concerned myself with uniform issues in JV games, unless we had duplicate numbers. Even then, a little masking tape has solved the problem most times.
It is common that we do not enforce all the "uniform" requirements where I live as it relates to any lower level game. It is not uncommon for the teams to wear warm-up type of jerseys that you typically see in practice or during the summer. They do have numbers on both sides, but they are the flip over style and really do not last very long. The objective is for the kids to play at those levels. Not all schools have money to provide uniforms for all levels that would comply with every rule requirement.

Peace
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 02:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
It is common that we do not enforce all the "uniform" requirements where I live as it relates to any lower level game. It is not uncommon for the teams to wear warm-up type of jerseys that you typically see in practice or during the summer. They do have numbers on both sides, but they are the flip over style and really do not last very long. The objective is for the kids to play at those levels. Not all schools have money to provide uniforms for all levels that would comply with every rule requirement.

Peace
That's my point. The OP was saying the boys JV might be in trouble this season due to the finalization of this long-pending rule change. I'm sure it will come up in meetings this fall, but I can't imagine anyone around here enforcing this in any contest below HS varsity.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

In Oregon, we've been informed to not apply these types of rules to lower levels....only Varsity. Basically, they're not going to require some schools to buy 6-8 sets of new uniforms to get each of V, JV, JV2, and Fresh for both boys/girls to get white jerseys. Only the V team will need to update right away. The others will get the hand-me-downs in time.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

In Massachusetts, the MIAA Basketball Committee "voted to waive the new NFHS rule requiring white uniforms for home teams until such time as each school has an opportunity to purchase new uniforms."

This applies at all levels.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 07:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Uniforms Rule 10 ???

I just read through Rule 10 and, other than technical foul penalties for illegal or duplicate numbers, I can't find any technical foul penalties for illegal "uniforms". If your going to enforce the new "home team white" rule, a big "if", then I guess that you don't play. Like an illegal undershirt (wrong color, etc.), you don't seem to be able to buy your way into the game with a technical foul.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 08:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I just read through Rule 10 and, other than technical foul penalties for illegal or duplicate numbers, I can't find any technical foul penalties for illegal "uniforms".
10-3-2.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Does the rule actually say must wear "White"?

I would have expected something along the lines as HOME must wear "light" color jerseys and VISITORS must wear "dark color jerseys.
The current rule says the home team "should" have light jerseys and the visitors should have dark jerseys. Apparently, this was causing thousands of problems each year, so the NFHS mandated whites for the home team all the time.

That said, the issue of light/dark was always taken care of by having one team change uniforms, not by penalizing either team. It will be interesting to see what the rulebook will prescribe as a penalty for non-white home jerseys. (Does cream count? What about off-white?)