The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Potential litigation?

Can't you just hear the officials are partly to blame for this. You know some lawyer has latched on this this. Hopefully, the young man will fully recover.

Leader Telegram: News - Injured Fall Creek player having surgery
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

But what we dont know is
where the camera man was set up?
Distances on the baseline?
Did the oficials take reasonable steps?

Whole lot of factors we dont know that could be legitimate reasons for law suit
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Was there a line on the floor that the photographers were supposed to sit behind?

If so, and the photographer was over the line, is it really the officials' job to police that? Wouldn't that fall under game management?
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 11:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

Both Officials And Game Management Have Some Responsibility ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Wouldn't that fall under game management?
2-4-1: The referee shall inspect and approve all equipment, including court, baskets, ball, backboards, and timer’s and scorer’s signals.

Also, from the purpose and intent of the rules: The restrictions which the rules place upon the players are intended to provide reasonable safety and protection.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 16, 2010 at 11:59am.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

I think we need to keep those guys out of the lane for that specific reason. If game management refuses to tell them to move (on our command), we are left with deciding whether we want to halt the game or not. When it gets down to it, I don't think a coach is going to back a camera man all the way to a suspended, and possibly forfeited, game. At least not in my area.

After seeing this video, I think we have sufficient evidence to show the camera people are in a place that puts players at risk.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwstudentref View Post
Hi to all from the area so I thought I would research a little more and found the video of it happening. Once you click on the link the video is on the left it reads player injured video, click that and you can watch it in action.
Thanks
bwstudentref

Fall Creek basketball player undergoes surgery Friday - WQOW TV: Eau Claire, WI NEWS18 News, Weather, and Sports
Thanks for the video link

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Was there a line on the floor that the photographers were supposed to sit behind?

If so, and the photographer was over the line, is it really the officials' job to police that? Wouldn't that fall under game management?
Looking at the vidoe posted above, there was no set line for media to be behind. The videographer was right behind the basket instead of being off to the side. He was OOB by about 3-4 feet.

Concerning the position of media at games, ultimately it is up to game management. However, if it concerns participant safety, don't officials have some responsibility?
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 11:28pm
We don't rent pigs

Anybody who wants to blame the officials for this, will just as likely blame them if the bus has a wreck on the way home.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Thanks for the video link

Looking at the vidoe posted above, there was no set line for media to be behind. The videographer was right behind the basket instead of being off to the side. He was OOB by about 3-4 feet.

Concerning the position of media at games, ultimately it is up to game management. However, if it concerns participant safety, don't officials have some responsibility?
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Anybody who wants to blame the officials for this, will just as likely blame them if the bus has a wreck on the way home.
I was not putting blame on the officials, as evidenced by what I put in red.

I was asking a question that if it relates to player safety, how would it be handled by officials. What would the responsibility be, if any.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Looking at the video, I don't see how any ref could be held responsible for this. The photog ought to be sued, though!
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Looking at the video, I don't see how any ref could be held responsible for this. The photog ought to be sued, though!
Juulie,

I've watched & re-watched the video a couple of times, in this situation there was nothing that the officals could do. So game management failed in their duties of maintaining a safe environment for the players.

Looking at comments concerning the initial article posted, apparently the videographers for that news station are continuously reckless concerning their surroundings, just so that they can get the best coverage possible for the story.

As I see it, the videographer should not only be sued, but he should lose his credentials as well.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 08:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Yup, but the lawyer's rule of thumb is to name everybody in the gym, everybody associated with the school in any way and everybody living within a 3-block radius of the gym as a defendant. He'll sort 'em out later.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Yup, but the lawyer's rule of thumb is to name everybody in the gym, everybody associated with the school in any way and everybody living within a 3-block radius of the gym as a defendant. He'll sort 'em out later.
Sort 'em out? Why? A jury might find them liable for damages! Hey, you never know with juries.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

First of all let's keep the injured player and his family in our thoughts and prayers.

With technology being what it is these days, you can get that same shot with a remote camera. There's no need for a camera man to be on the floor in that position.

As for litigation, the school district, game management and most definitely the TV Station will be named in a suit. I don't really see how the officials bake into the blame pie. They might be named, but my guess is they would be dropped from the suit.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Notice in the video before the collision there is play at that basket and the cameraman can be seen in the background all the way over at the baseline/sideline corner. Play goes the other way and cameraman decides to move under the basket. The officials are at the other end. I don't see how it's their responsibility to catch him moving.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwstudentref View Post
To me the video looked like he just landed hard, but it must have been worst then it looked. May we all keep him in our prayers.
I took it to full screen and ran it in slow motion. It doesn't appear the initial landing was the problem.......more likely when as he slid he undercut the videographer who then landed on his head/neck area with his right knee/lower leg. If litigation does happen, you can bet this video will be a major piece of evidence in the complainant's case.

Agree our thoughts and prayers need to be with this kid and his family.