The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Level of supervision and potential risks

What are the potential risks involved in basketball and what level of supervision is required?
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Please post your question in the "risk management" section of the forum.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 10:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woman-no-name
What are the potential risks involved in basketball and what level of supervision is required?
Well, if you're an NBA official and you get caught betting on your games and you turn state's evidence and you go into the witness protection program and the mob is after you, there can be a slight risk. The level of supervision varies, from wearing an ankle bracelet to having an agent sleep in your house.

I hope this answered your question.

Welcome to the forum.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You would probably break a nail.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 11:52pm
We don't rent pigs

This is a basketball forum, just like the place they used to discuss basketball in ancient Rome, I guess? We have an administrator and a moderator to provide supervision. Even so, there is potential risk of getting ones feelings hurt.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 12:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
This is a basketball forum, just like the place they used to discuss basketball in ancient Rome, I guess? We have an administrator and a moderator to provide supervision. Even so, there is potential risk of getting ones feelings hurt.
Of course, the more Kool-Aid you drink, the more likely you are to get your feelings hurt. Some have said the Kool-Aid is spiked in here. Okay, when I type "some have," I misspell "one has."
A wise man once said, "Kool-Aid? What Kool-Aid?"
Okay, he was actually heard muttering this to himself as he put the flask back into his coat liner.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
There is always potential to get your feelings hurt when you post on an Internet discussion board. That's especially true when you post on a board without researching the forum theme prior to posting.

BTW, do you have the web address to the forum the Ancient Romans used? Here I thought James Naismith invented basketball. I'd really love to get the insight of those Romans....unless of course, they invented FEEBLE as well.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Some have said the Kool-Aid is spiked in here.
But only on the volleyball forum.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 07:32am
Lighten up, Francis.

Wow, you guys were a little edgy last night.

Ms. No-name, first of all, you received a rather unhelpful reception because this is a forum for referees. We generally talk about rules and situations within games that happen to us. We don't usually spend a lot of time thinking about the questions that you asked.

Second, you questions are a little vague. I'm guessing that you're asking about the risks to your child in playing organized basketball. The risks are similar to any organized athletic activity. There's the chance for twisted ankles and knees, I've seen a chipped tooth, cuts and bumps and bruises. Sometimes, very rarely, these injuries can be severe.

The level of supervision varies widely, depending on the organization that sponsors the games. Sometimes only one adult is available to supervise at games and practices. In a high school setting, there are usually at least two coaches supervising.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Yeah, without apologizing for what others wrote or did not write I'll agree the question is too vague.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You mean as a referee or a player? As a referee it can be extremely dangerous. As a player, it’s piece of cake.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 10:21am
certified Hot Mom tester

Just curious - do you live on a ranch with a Horse With No Name? If so, how do you call him to come to you? I've always wondered that.

BTW - I once worked with a guy who named his dog "Go Away". When called ("Come here, Go Away"), it got very confused.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 10:35am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Just curious - do you live on a ranch with a Horse With No Name? If so, how do you call him to come to you? I've always wondered that.

BTW - I once worked with a guy who named his dog "Go Away". When called ("Come here, Go Away"), it got very confused.
Meds, Padgett...go take your meds. Quickly!!
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
My mother, who was a professional dog trainer, always wanted to name a dog Dammit. Can you imagine? "Come, Dammit! Sit, Dammit!"
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 01:14pm
We don't rent pigs

This reminds me of one time.....

More and more of my communications begin with this phrase. Many years ago, at some kind of little kids game, (jr. high or lower, not sure) there was a pretty good train wreck out on the court. A foul was called, nobody was hurt, everything was ok........ until a lady stood up and yelled, "Come on, ref, we don't want to come out here and watch our boys get hurt!!"

I was tempted to remark, "Ma'am, the thing to do would be to take your boys home and let them sit on the couch and watch tv. The potential risk would be much less."

Lonesome Dove
Closed Thread