The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 04:10am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13
I notice that a lot of the scorers wear the bryon collar shirts. Is this because they are old refs who have had them since the early 90s?
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 08:41am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcusmav View Post
I notice that a lot of the scorers wear the bryon collar shirts. Is this because they are old refs who have had them since the early 90s?
Please, dude: my family name!
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 08:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Suwanee Georgia
Posts: 1,050
In Georiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Reading over the rule book tonight (not for the first time, I promise), I noticed that they strongly recommend that the scorer wear "a black and white striped garment", ie a shirt like ours.

I know this is commonplace at the NCAA level, but how about at the HS level? I would assume that if done at all, it's probably only at the varsity level.
The scorer is required to wear them for varsity games. We have some that are very reluctant to do so. Some just want to lay it on the table in front of them. We have to make them wear it.
__________________
Gwinnett Umpires Association
Multicounty Softball Association
Multicounty Basketball Officials Association
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 12:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 20,564
I Assume That The Copyright Has Expired ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
My family name!
"No lengthened scroll, no praise—encumber'd stone
My epitaph shall be my name alone"
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,955
In V games it happens all the time around here. JV or lower.... ain't gonna see it. I actually have one school where the scorer is also a Certified basketball official who has his game jersey on and actually rates us for those games.
__________________
That's my whistle -- and I'm sticking to it!
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 10:21pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 1,028
Does the shirt have be striped exactly like an official's shirt?

I ask only because I have a couple of shirts I received from my brief stint scoring at a pro summer league. One is mostly white with a black stripe along each sleeve and the other is black with a white stripe along each sleeve.

I usually wear one of these at home games or any other game where I would be designated official scorer.
__________________
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." – Dalai Lama

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Does the shirt have be striped exactly like an official's shirt?

I ask only because I have a couple of shirts I received from my brief stint scoring at a pro summer league. One is mostly white with a black stripe along each sleeve and the other is black with a white stripe along each sleeve.

I usually wear one of these at home games or any other game where I would be designated official scorer.
Those aren't striped shirts. They are shirts with a stripe.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,191
I've had a few (meaning less than 5) in my career at the HS level. Don't remember the last time, though. One guy had taken a large, byron collar, shirt and had his wife (I suppose) extend the zipper the full length of the shirt. He just put it over whatever he was wearing and went out.

On a somewhat related note, we have a guy in our football chapter that insists on wearing a striped shirt AND hat to the box when he runs the clock. I wish he wouldn't, but whatever.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 11:33pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Those aren't striped shirts. They are shirts with a stripe.
Nevada:

So, would you say this shirt would be unacceptable to wear as the official scorer? This is what I wear when in that capacity:

__________________
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." – Dalai Lama

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Sat Jan 23, 2010 at 04:32pm.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scorer's Error Spence Basketball 16 Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:41am
Elevated Scorer's Table gostars Basketball 8 Fri Dec 03, 2004 04:21pm
Are all scorer's errors... jbduke Basketball 5 Sun Feb 08, 2004 08:58pm
Scorer's Attire? volleyballrocks Basketball 21 Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:23am
Scorer's signal coach mb Basketball 2 Sun Mar 03, 2002 01:53pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1