The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

T's and Coaches Actions

I'm in my 3rd year and am totally frustrated and disgusted at how coaches (not all of them) act and react to officials. What the hell is the deal? Has it always been that way or are coaches and fans just becoming too nasty and personal?

Comments... how do I calm my frustrations. We feel we call a pretty good game and we continuously hear the nasties...
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 03:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Not much you can do about the fans. Coaches are simple, if you take action. If they're getting personal, a quick T will stop it.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

It's not personal

I guess I am wondering if it happens to everyone... still learning how much to take.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
I guess I am wondering if it happens to everyone... still learning how much to take.
I take less and less. Coaches are supposed to show good sportsmanship. It is a rule and needs to be enforced just like traveling, holding etc etc
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 03:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The occasional, "travel, 3 seconds, double dribble, over the back, foul," etc, is ok IMO. But if he gets personal ("you're horrible") ring him up. No need to warn, IMO.
If he's getting annoying and under your skin with the little stuff, warn him. "Coach, that's enough." If he continues, ring him up. It's your own tolerance level with that little crap, but my advice is this:
If you find you're getting distracted, put a stop to it.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 03:26pm
This IS My Social Life

Like Pavlov's Dog, Kinda

Quote:
Has it always been that way?
As long as I can remember (back to the mid-70's), yes. Though it does seem to be increasing in beligerence and intensity lately.
Quote:
Comments... how do I calm my frustrations?
Re. the coaches: As Snaqs suggested, and as was mentioned here a while ago, they might have the last word, but you have the last action. And if they have another last word after that, you've been issued an action that will halt it for the night.
In a sense, you and I are in the behavior modification business. Don't let their ill behavior get you down. (Unless you're really a cruddy official who should be looking for another avocation, which I doubt). If they cross the line, calmly take care of business. No need to get frustrated. You've been given the tools to use, when necessary.
Re. the fans: It becomes easy over time to ignore vocalized bias and passion fueled by favoritism, doesn't it? Just take it for what it is, and learn to ignore it. Your professionalism will carry the day long after the echos of their idiocy have faded away.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Refsmitty,
Some of the officials on this board will disagree with my view, but I have a different take from many on this topic. When we first start as officials, we are typically REALLY BAD!!! Most of us had played the game at some level, some of us had coached the game at some level, BUT officiating is different (note that I did not say HARDER -- once again to the sighs of many on this board -- but it is different.

New officials have to learn a whole series of signals. New officials have to learn where to get to on the floor and when. New officials must learn a whole set of mechanics. New officials must learn how to report fouls. New officials have to learn where to move when a foul is called and is being reported. New officials have to learn how to handle certain "set situations" such as timeout mechanics, free throw mechanics, etc. New officials have to get accustomed to using a whistle (some coaches and multiple sport officials don't have this concern). New officials are expected to know all of the rules.

Oh, and then there's that part about recognizing violations and fouls -- which must be done AT THE SAME TIME the new official is working on all of the items in the previous paragraph.

Therefore, the vast, vast, vast majority of us are BAD when we first start. At the same time, most leagues will use experienced officials AND new officials -- younger youth leagues generally have more new officials while HS varsity levels have only experienced officials. If a coach has a pair of experienced officials one week (or at least one) and has two "rookies" the next, the difference from a coaching point of view can be mind-boggling!!!

My bottom line suggestion: Focus 100% of your attention on becoming a better official each game. Critique yourself and have other officials critique you. Try to get a copy of a game tape -- nothing better than watching yourself in action.

I suggest that you be willing to take general criticism from coaches when you are just starting out. Remember, you are BAD. You will miss calls -- LOTS of them. Block out the coaches comments and officiate the game. Try to focus on identifying the pivot foot each time a player receives the ball in your primary. Try to officiate the defense and call the OBVIOUS fouls. As you improve as an official, there will be plenty of opportunities to WHACK coaches!

That being said, do not hesitate to tell the coach to "pick his spots", "let plays go -- no dwelling", "I will watch for that", etc. BUT NEVER let them get PERSONAL!!! Don't be afraid to listen to a coach or answer their questions -- communicate with them. Contrary to many on this board, coaches can actually help newer officials improve. BUT, if they make personal attacks OR are completely belligerent, you have to issue a technical foul.

By the way, to give equal time to coaches, new coaches are typically REALLY BAD, too. It takes experience and mentoring for them to become good coaches. This is no different from officials.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 03:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Has it always been that way.....
No. As I recall, Dr. Naismith never yelled at me.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 03:48pm
This IS My Social Life

Is Dirt Really Older?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
No. As I recall, Dr. Naismith never yelled at me.
Yes he did, you just didn't hear him due to geriatric hearing loss.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 03:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Yes he did, you just didn't hear him due to geriatric hearing loss.
They say your hearing is the third thing to go.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 03:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...We feel we call a pretty good game and we continuously hear the nasties...

First of all "calling a good game" is totally subjective.

Secondly, you could be graded out at 100% by an evaluator and you would still hear nasties from the fans--especially if their team loses.

Thirdly, coaches are only slightly better than fans. But you will find the higher level you work the less BS you get from coaches. (at least that is my experience). Good coaches are more concerned with coaching and winning ball games, not the officials.

And finally, be more concerned with feedback from your peers, evaluators, supervisors, and mentors than with what you hear from coaches, spectators, and players.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Our mid season email from the state supervisor was a laundry list of items that he's grown increasingly tired of. Kids who won't keep their jerseys tucked, coaches who can't behave and won't stay in the box, and fans who think their ticket entitles them to be a-holes among other things. His solution?

Get rid of them. Send the kids out until they can tuck, sit the coaches down or launch'em, and get game management to get rid of unruly fans.

Obviously, he's seeing the same things we are.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm in my 3rd year and am totally frustrated and disgusted at how coaches (not all of them) act and react to officials. What the hell is the deal? Has it always been that way or are coaches and fans just becoming too nasty and personal?

Comments... how do I calm my frustrations. We feel we call a pretty good game and we continuously hear the nasties...
I never hear the fans. I know they're yelling but I really don't hear them.

Coaches - I have been told that I take too much grief by my assignors and V refs. It wasn't bothering me, but they said if you don't get them under control, sooner or later a close call will go the screaming banshee's way and the relatively calm coach is going to think that the opposition got the call because of that coach's behavior. So, nip it in the bud early, particularly if it's public, profane, personal or prolonged.