The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Hi - I have a series of situations, and would like to know how you would handle these. I'm training 8-10 high school age officials to use in my intramural league, and occasionally I'm going to ask questions in here that we can't figure out based on the rules (or just to get other opinions on the situations)

1) A1 throws his inbounds pass after a basket off the back of B1, catches it, and heads down court. The intention is taunting. Unsportsmanlike or not?

2) A1 is dribbling down the court, and catches his dribble, throws it off the back of B1, catches it, and continues. We are assuming in this case that A1 was under no pressure, and is simply doing it as a form of taunting.

3) A1 is doing some ball handling moves, and bounces the ball off the top of B1's head. We assumed this one was unsportsmanlike, but looking for opinions.

Finally - any suggestions for things for these students to concentrate on? Most of them reffed for me last year, and we are just setting it up as a more formal class, and using some basketball teams from our school to get some practice officiating before we use them in intramural games.

Thanks for your help!
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii
Hi - I have a series of situations, and would like to know how you would handle these. I'm training 8-10 high school age officials to use in my intramural league, and occasionally I'm going to ask questions in here that we can't figure out based on the rules (or just to get other opinions on the situations)

1) A1 throws his inbounds pass after a basket off the back of B1, catches it, and heads down court. The intention is taunting. Unsportsmanlike or not?

2) A1 is dribbling down the court, and catches his dribble, throws it off the back of B1, catches it, and continues. We are assuming in this case that A1 was under no pressure, and is simply doing it as a form of taunting.

3) A1 is doing some ball handling moves, and bounces the ball off the top of B1's head. We assumed this one was unsportsmanlike, but looking for opinions.

Finally - any suggestions for things for these students to concentrate on? Most of them reffed for me last year, and we are just setting it up as a more formal class, and using some basketball teams from our school to get some practice officiating before we use them in intramural games.

Thanks for your help!
First thing I'd be very careful about it attempting to read the mind of players. The rules are there to cover the actions or inactions of players and coaches NOT what they are thinking. Based upon this the first 2 are legal plays provided A was inbounds when he touched the ball. #3 could be "unsportmanlike" depending upon what else has happened, etc. That is one I'd have to see.
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Drinkeii, I have seen these tactics before. These are street ball type moves that teenagers are now using and can be seen in rec leagues, intramurals, etc. I have yet to see the moves in organized ball with a legitimate coach. In 3 I would definitely whack, in 2 I would most likely whack, and in 1 I would be a little more careful to whack since this happens a lot in games as a strategic move by the thrower-in to get the ball back when he can't find someone open or when he is the point guard and wants to take the ball up the court. If you know for a fact that any of these 3 tactics are done just to show off or taunt the opponent and is not a strategic move to help the team I would whack. In fact I just reread your post and you did mention for each situation that we are assuming it is done to taunt so I would whack in all 3 instances. Picture Jason Williams from Memphis doing this to Charles Oakley. Do you think if this is not addressed that nothing will be done about it? I think not, so I would handle it before Oakley does.
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Had your #3 scenario happen TWICE in games on Tuesday.
I happened to be working with an NBA guy and a fellow WNBA
ref. Both times it happened, the player was ejected. One "T",
goodbye! It's a playground move that should stay on the playground. The players both times said, "hey, we're all friends" To which I replied."If that's true, then why did the kid who got the ball bounced off his head, go after the other one?"
Interstingly enough, I spoke with another official who saw the same kid do that the week before, and did NOTHING!
It actually is surprising to see it happen. Just have in your mind what you're going to do on this play before hand, then even if you're surprised, you can still have a delayed whistle and act accordingly.
As for the other two, I agree that it's tough to read what is in a player's head as to why they do things. (sometimes)
But if you feel the acts are done as a form of taunting, then a "T" is justified. To me most blatant taunts are not hard to call.
One more thing.Whether you call a "T" on those two plays or not, address it with the player. Don't let the player think he got away with something.
Just my two cents.
Drake
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Eli,
As you can see by our posts, you have mentored me well!
Old Mon Sep 23, 2002, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

drake,

where were you at?
Old Mon Sep 23, 2002, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Larry's Tuesday night High School League at Riverview.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2002, 10:21pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
Larry's Tuesday night High School League at Riverview.

Sounds large, Drake.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2002, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

NOT!